U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Status: "Democrats used to be for border control." (set 2 days ago)

15,515 posts, read 8,428,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Why would anything be meaningless in this life if there is no afterlife? That is probably the most insane concept I hear from believers.

Why do a good job at work if you are just going to retire some day anyway? Why eat if you will just get hungry tommorrow anyways? Why read a book if you are just going to finish it and the story will be over?

How sad it must be if the only meaning in one's life is the belief that there is some sort of afterlife?

My mother is 90 and still pretty active. She recently moved and has made lots of new friends. She has children, grandchildren and great grand kids and siblings. She worked much of her life and got great pleasure from those jobs. Because of my dad's disability pension from being badly injured on Juno Beach June 6 1944, she was still able to travel even after my father died.

OP, as my mother is a non believer please explain how her life could be meaningless to either her or all of us who know her? How could she possibly have meaning in her life only if she believed in an afterlife? Yours may be a totally cold and cruel attitude you have towards those who do not share your belief.
When this earth is no more (global warming, sun burns out, whatever), our life here will have had no meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 12:49 PM

24,178 posts, read 12,507,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
When this earth is no more (global warming, sun burns out, whatever), our life here will have had no meaning.

So what?

What matters is the life we have here, now.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:03 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,377,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So what?

What matters is the life we have here, now.
Thats pretty much understood and agreed upon by all and itís VERY o vinous as well - but perhaps thatís NOT the question. You and a few others are avoiding the actual question.

What matters to a person for HIS OWNSELF after he dies and there is a blank?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
OK GoCardinals, how about answering this question?
No, you should not fear because in your own intellect, you have made a wise decision.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:09 PM

24,178 posts, read 12,507,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Thats pretty much understood and agreed upon by all and itís VERY o vinous as well - but perhaps thatís NOT the question. You and a few others are avoiding the actual question.

What matters to a person for HIS OWNSELF after he dies and there is a blank?

Nothing would matter. Blank is blank. Nothingness is nothingness. Empty is empty.

Again...so what? It would be like a dreamless sleep. Hardly something to fear.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It mattered when you were living.
It mattered to all the people you came in contact with.
It mattered to the people who were affected by what you said and did.
It mattered to your children, to your spouse, to your friends, to your family, to your neighbors, and to people who were in contact with at work and at leisure.

It sounds like you have a very empty life if you think it only matters as a dice roll to maybe pass go and collect eternity.
OK so,

You found the cure of cancer,
You eradicated all disease from earth
You fixed global warming
You cleaned up all the oceans
You eradicated all poverty on earth
and you did all the "good" things that mattered to humanity -

And now you die, and you are "NOT" - no consciousness. An absolute blank.

The world acknowledges your work and name cities after you and create your statue in every city and always remember you in good words.

Lets look at the flip side of the coin, replace you and your work with Hitler.

The world remembers him in a different way.

Does it mean anything to YOU or Hitler (not anyone else, ONLY you or Hitler) after you both are dead and there is a blank?

No, it doesn't mean ANYTHING to either of you.

I am not saying that we should not try to do good things and make the world a better place. It's a continuous effort and we should all join hands and do what's beneficial to humanity; however, once we die, and if there is a blank ... it all seems to become meaningless to the person who did all the good or bad things, but he is now dead. I think that's the question in OP

Old 05-28-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nothing would matter. Blank is blank. Nothingness is nothingness. Empty is empty.

Again...so what? It would be like a dreamless sleep. Hardly something to fear.
There isn't any element of fear ... I think it's more of a philosophical thought that we are discussing. Not sure where are you getting the idea of fear?

"so what" is not the answer.

It could be either yes or no, with supporting reasons. Take the fear element out of it and focus on the question.

And when you say "Nothing would matter" then you are perhaps agreeing with the OP?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM

5,411 posts, read 2,081,626 times
Quote:
OK so,

You fixed global warming

The world acknowledges your work and name cities after you and create your statue in every city and always remember you in good words.

Does it mean anything to YOU or Hitler (not anyone else, ONLY you or Hitler) after you both are dead and there is a blank?

I am not saying that we should not try to do good things and make the world a better place. It's a continuous effort and we should all join hands and do what's beneficial to humanity; however, once we die, and if there is a blank ... it all seems to become meaningless to the person who did all the good or bad things, but he now dead. I think that's the question in OP
So what? I mean are all the good dogs living in heaven, or owls or Homo erectis?

My life has meaning to me while I am alive. I hope it has positive meaning to those who remember me after I go.

If life has so much meaning to you after you die, do you still care about this life? D9 you think you will not be remembered by your loved loves after you have died and gone to this afterlife? What about depriving yourself and others of good things simply because a book says it is bad and you gamble that not only is there an afterlife but you have the correct book?
Now if the question is would i like to be with my wife and dogs and cats forever in bliss and happinesd, sure why not. But that is not the question, it is that you should believe in the right god so that you go to heaven and everyone's god is both the right and the false God.

I would like to win the lottery but that does not mean I believe that 8 will win it and sell my house and all my possessions and buy lottery ticketd.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 PM

5,411 posts, read 2,081,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes that is very true. What is the meaning to you of the life of the next door neighbour of your 14th century ancestor? Our lives have meaning today and we should give it as much meaning as we can and that includes being the kindest person we can and respect those who are less advantaged and especially the environment.
The question is does one believe in a God simply because they want to live after they die? If that is the case should I advertise for the religion that provides me with the best afterlife? But if there is a God would he be pleased with me shopping for him in this very selfish manner?

Old 05-28-2018, 01:50 PM

5,575 posts, read 1,808,843 times
Quote:
OK so,

You fixed global warming

I am not saying that we should not try to do good things and make the world a better place. It's a continuous effort and we should all join hands and do what's beneficial to humanity; however, once we die, and if there is a blank ... it all seems to become meaningless to the person who did all the good or bad things, but he is now dead. I think that's the question in OP
I like the concept of selflessness for this problem. You keep talking in the first person with the me,my mine mode. If you can find a way to truly connect to the world around you the fact you might not get to bask in the satisfaction of your good works would not bother you. You could go out and plant a row of trees knowing full well you were going to die tomorrow. Other people enjoying them decades in the future is what you would see as you planted.

Edit: I just thought of something. It's not your hard work or good deeds being gone that is being discussed; it's our own personal ability to enjoy them. So the question becomes, "if I cannot enjoy the fruits of my labor do they have any real benefit". I think they do. Just about any parent, artist, writer, inventor....can answer that question in the affirmative.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 05-28-2018 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or