Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,087,720 times

Advertisements

Why bother with anything in this life? EVERYTHING is meaningless, right?

Isn't it?

If it just goes blank/dark/black when we die...what does anything matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Isn't it?

Wrong.

If death is simply blankness then life becomes even more precious and worth savouring.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Wrong.

If death is simply blankness then life becomes even more precious and worth savouring.
Perhaps the OP meant, there is no right or wrong if it’s a void after death.
And this argument actually has some weight in it.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:

Isn't it?

Everything doesn't go blank when you die. It is probably a reasonable conclusion to say when you die it goes blank for you. I don't see how that translate into meaninglessness.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:35 AM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:

Isn't it?

Our genes evolved the need to fu..., get jiggy with it.

I am a slave to my genes (which are currently indirectly responsible for this strange feeling in my stomach that says I must eat something).

Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Only for those lost enough not to be able to articulate purposefulness....nihilists.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Why would anything be meaningless in this life if there is no afterlife? That is probably the most insane concept I hear from believers.

Why do a good job at work if you are just going to retire some day anyway? Why eat if you will just get hungry tommorrow anyways? Why read a book if you are just going to finish it and the story will be over?

How sad it must be if the only meaning in one's life is the belief that there is some sort of afterlife?

My mother is 90 and still pretty active. She recently moved and has made lots of new friends. She has children, grandchildren and great grand kids and siblings. She worked much of her life and got great pleasure from those jobs. Because of my dad's disability pension from being badly injured on Juno Beach June 6 1944, she was still able to travel even after my father died.

OP, as my mother is a non believer please explain how her life could be meaningless to either her or all of us who know her? How could she possibly have meaning in her life only if she believed in an afterlife? Yours may be a totally cold and cruel attitude you have towards those who do not share your belief.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 AM

I think this video explains it really well OP. I've heard it said that the opposite of addiction is not sobriety but connection. The idea of death isn't so scary for me because I feel connected to the world around me so that even if I'm not here the world is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
There is right from wrong for any normal person regardless if they believe or not. I think this no right or wrong attitude of believers about non believers is BS and certainly not borne out in any way.

I am no angel but I will claim to be at least as moral then any of the very religious folks who post on these forums.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:36 AM

Here's that video about connection

https://www.ted.com/talks/johann_har...wrong#t-202527
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality