Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
All I want is testable evidence. Calling me insincere proves nothing.
Okay, but why? What would it do for you if you knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there was a grand creator? How would it change how you live your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 10:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
All I want is testable evidence. Calling me insincere proves nothing.
Listen old chip! Many of us have been here for years asking for it and it hasn't appeared yet. You needn't push any more as if you have them 'stumped'. We've had 'em stumped for years. You're not bringing anything new.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
How dare you not believe in the biblical god. He has provided you all the proof you need. The fact that all other religious books and gods are fake, does not give you reason to doubt the biblical god. Shame on you, now go and sin no more.
That was very good..too good...and you MUST add a smiley when you are kidding! Remember the Golden Rule..
There is no foolish spoof so foolish that a Christian can't be more foolish in all seriousness.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
I'm a life-long atheist. For a few reasons:

1. I've yet to see enough evidence for a grand creator.
2. I'm not convinced that any particular religion is true or the truest.
3. I have clear life goals and I don't feel astray or confused at all.

However, I'm open-minded to any new evidence that are testable. I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong.

So, dear theists/believers, here's the deal: if you provide me enough evidence to convince me that a grand creator exists and that your religion is true, I'll convert.
Well, if being an atheist has made your life personally more rewarding, that is the power of belief. The evidence of any belief is that you can act on it and you feel better for it. It's not about right or wrong.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:49 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Okay, but why? What would it do for you if you knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there was a grand creator? How would it change how you live your life?
Well, for me, if I was wrong, I'd want to know. And a sound case for a God would be just the start. But it's academic. There is a Certain Person on the boards whose Name I will not mention because I haven't asked her permission, but this briliiant and eloguent young lady isn't always well, and if I were God, I would (if I was able) put her to rights and make sure she knew I'd done it and would ask her to state publically that she was wrong to be atheist. And there are a few more I'd target. If I done it to Paul, I could surely do it to them, and saving people trumps respect for free will doesn't it?

No, in all reason if there was a God of Paul, atheism would have dies the death long ago. But it grows and all we get is bleating about Faith and claims about how much it will improve your life, the crime rate and world peace, apart from the Middle East where Prophecy (of a bloody and vicious kind - just what God likes) is being arranged.

It stinks. How glad I am that it isn't true.

While I think of it...I probably won't heave a Grave and headstone. But, if I did the inscription would be "If I don't come back and tell you it's all true, you can assume that it isn't".

Old 05-29-2018, 10:53 AM

36 posts, read 14,565 times
Quote:
Ah, okay. If you're a scientist, I'd say conduct your own experiments and don't rely on anyone else's "evidence".
I didn't say I'm a scientist. I'm not one--like, at all.

But if I were to conduct my own experiment, I'd:

1. Get a glass of water.
2. Attach it to a machine that will detect any anomalies.
3. Pray that it turns into wine.
4. Get people of various religious beliefs to pray that it turns into wine.
5. Do all of the above multiple times.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm no scientist--like, AT ALL.

But if I were to conduct my own experiment, I'd:

1. Get a glass of water.
2. Attach it to a machine that will detect any anomalies.
3. Pray that it turns into wine.
4. Get people of various religious beliefs to pray that it turns into wine.
5. Do all of the above multiple times.

If anomalies were detected only while someone prayed, I'd consider it evidence for his/her religion.
So, it's not the "grand creator" part that is really of interest to you. You're actually wanting to know if prayer "works"? You want to harness the power, perhaps?

That's understandable. I think that's the case for most "believers". They want to live life in an empowered way. I think religion can do that for people, and conversely, I think religion often disempowers people. Personally, if I was an atheist, I'd approach life the same way I do as a believer, and expect similar results: practicing appreciation and a good attitude. In other words, striving for mental and emotional health. If anything is going to produce "miracles", that's it.

All the best to you in your quest.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 14,565 times
Quote:
I think you're begging the question. What if you knew, deep in your heart, that there was NO grand creator? How would IT change your life?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well, for me, if I was wrong, I'd want to know. And a sound case for a God would be just the start. But it's academic.
I agree -- I think it's academic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There is a Certain Person on the boards whose Name I will not mention because I haven't asked her permission, but this briliiant and eloguent young lady isn't always well, and if I were God, I would (if I was able) put her to rights and make sure she knew I'd done it and would ask her to state publically that she was wrong to be atheist. And there are a few more I'd target. If I done it to Paul, I could surely do it to them, and saving people trumps respect for free will doesn't it?

No, in all reason if there was a God of Paul, atheism would have dies the death long ago. But it grows and all we get is bleating about Faith and claims about how much it will improve your life, the crime rate and world peace, apart from the Middle East where Prophecy (of a bloody and vicious kind - just what God likes) is being arranged.

It stinks. How glad I am that it isn't true.

While I think of it...I probably won't heave a Grave and headstone. But, if I did the inscription would be "If I don't come back and tell you it's all true, you can assume that it isn't".
I agree.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I think you're begging the question. What if you knew, deep in your heart, that there was NO grand creator? How would IT change your life?
Oh, I've been there. It changed my life for the worse. It sent me into a deep grief. Not all of us are cut out for atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality