Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 11:18 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Oh, I've been there. It changed my life for the worse. It sent me into a deep grief. Not all of us are cut out for atheism.
Statements like this make me wonder if it’s possible to become addicted to ideas in the same way that it is possible to get addicted to other things.

It’s sad that so many people seem to be psychologically dependent on irrational beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 AM

36 posts, read 14,565 times
Quote:
So, it's not the "grand creator" part that is really of interest to you. You're actually wanting to know if prayer "works"? You want to harness the power, perhaps?
Uh, it's the same thing. According to most religions, the grand creator answers prayer; so if prayer works, that would imply the grand creator is real. I would also gather people from different religious beliefs so that I can test WHICH grand creator is the real one.

Quote:
Personally, if I was an atheist, I'd approach life the same way I do as a believer, and expect similar results: practicing appreciation and a good attitude.
I agree, even though it's a bit off-topic. Curiosity is my motive for this, not ''finding life's answer'' as you probably assumed.

The reason I stressed the fact that I'm content with my life is because I'm tired of people claiming that ''you need religion of a purpose'' like you do now.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:24 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Statements like this make me wonder if it’s possible to become addicted to ideas in the same way that it is possible to get addicted to other things.

It’s sad that so many people seem to be psychologically dependent on irrational beliefs.
I'm so sorry I've brought sadness to your life, Freak.

Personally, I don't think my beliefs are irrational, but to each his own.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
Uh, it's the same thing. According to most religions, the grand creator answers prayer; so if prayer works, that would imply the grand creator is real. I would also gather people from different religious beliefs so that I can test WHICH grand creator is the real one.

I agree, even though it's a bit off-topic. Curiosity is my motive for this, not ''finding life's answer'' as you probably assumed.

The reason I stressed the fact that I'm content with my life is because I'm tired of people claiming that ''you need religion of a purpose'' like you do now.
Where, oh where, did I say that you need religion?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:32 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
To whom was this directed?
Sorry, it was Thoreau. Post quoted now.
This is a fast thread and I'd intended an immediate response, but a couple got in between.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Oh, I've been there. It changed my life for the worse. It sent me into a deep grief. Not all of us are cut out for atheism.
I didn't say that I ''knew there was no grand creator'', I was just asking a question using the same logic you used.

In fact, even as an atheist, I don't 100% rule out the possibility of a grand creator, just like I don't rule out leprechauns, unicorns, cosmic bunnies etc.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't think my beliefs are irrational, but to each his own.
Whether a belief is rational depends on what evidence you have. It's an objective thing.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
I didn't say that I ''knew there was no grand creator'', I was just asking a question using the same logic you used.

In fact, even as an atheist, I don't 100% rule out the possibility of a grand creator, just like I don't rule out leprechauns, unicorns, cosmic bunnies etc.
And I answered your question. But, I was not making a point with my question ... I was asking if knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was a "grand creator" would change how you live your life?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Where, oh where, did I say that you need religion?
OK, maybe I should say ''belief in a supernatural cause for the universe'' instead of ''religion''.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
And I answered your question. But, I was not making a point with my question ... I was asking if knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was a "grand creator" would change how you live your life?
Frankly, I don't think there'd be any major change, since my goals and values are shaped by my experience with other human beings, whom I encountered throughout my life.

Plus, you didn't answer my question. What I'm trying to say is that a grand creator is implausible, just like how other mystical beings are implausible as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality