Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 14,579 times

Advertisements

I'm a life-long atheist. For a few reasons:

1. I've yet to see enough evidence for a grand creator.
2. I'm not convinced that any particular religion is true or the truest.
3. I have clear life goals and I don't feel astray or confused at all.

However, I'm open-minded to any new evidence that are testable. I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong.

So, dear theists/believers, here's the deal: if you provide me enough evidence to convince me that a grand creator exists and that your religion is true, I'll convert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:57 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
I'm a life-long atheist. For a few reasons:

1. I've yet to see enough evidence for a grand creator.
2. I'm not convinced that any particular religion is true or the truest.
3. I have clear life goals and I don't feel astray or confused at all.

However, I'm open-minded to any new evidence that are testable. I'd be more than glad to be proven wrong.

So, dear theists/believers, here's the deal: if you provide me enough evidence to convince me that a grand creator exists and that your religion is true, I'll convert.
Why would you be "more than glad" to convert to something else when you say you are content with your life as it is? That seems to indicate you have a desire to believe that a "grand creator" exists. Is that the case? If so, why?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
I'll add an offer of my own.

I have on my computer desk a bottle of water. If you tell me that you will pray to whatever deity you pray to turn that water into Red wine (I insist on red, to go with the Thai curry, see?) and it does so, I will immediately accept the truth of whatever religion or god you believe in.

This offer has been standing for near 15 years and NOBODY has (so far as i can recall) even commented on it, never mind take up the offer. That to me is 80% proof that they don't really really believe their religion, and whatever the reason they profess it, it isn't really because they have Faith in it.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:11 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
You're a funny guy hiwaystar888. It sounds like more of a mockery of belief than a sincere interest on your part.

Regardless, change comes from within, not based on other people.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Scientists are usually glad to be proven wrong, because they care about what's true.

If something has enough evidence, then I'd say it's true; if something doesn't have enough evidence, then I can't say it's true. I don't have a ''desire'' to ''believe'' in anything.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
How dare you not believe in the biblical god. He has provided you all the proof you need. The fact that all other religious books and gods are fake, does not give you reason to doubt the biblical god. Shame on you, now go and sin no more.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaystar888 View Post
Scientists are usually glad to be proven wrong, because they care about what's true.

If something has enough evidence, then I'd say it's true; if something doesn't have enough evidence, then I can't say it's true. I don't have a ''desire'' to ''believe'' in anything.
Ah, okay. If you're a scientist, I'd say conduct your own experiments and don't rely on anyone else's "evidence".

Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
You're a funny guy hiwaystar888. It sounds like more of a mockery of belief than a sincere interest on your part.

Regardless, change comes from within, not based on other people.
You're a hoot, old dissembler. I doubt that you are being honest (either about what you think the OP's motives are or what yours are) but what it comes down to is a tacit admission that Prayer doesn't work; miracles don't work. And you know they don't. So it's appeal to Faith.And it really does come down to a Choice here - whether to go with the evidence, or opt for a belief (not as a probability but a sure fact) on not only No good evidence but in despite of a heap of evidence that it isn't true.

And you think the OP is funny. Well, I'd be bemused if I though that was honest, but it is not. You don't think it's funny at all. You are rtrying to make a joke of it and laugh it off.

It isn't a joke, and you can't laugh it off.

We are closing in.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: late quote -post.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You're a hoot, old dissembler. I doubt that you are being honest (either about what you think the OP's motives are or what yours are) but what it comes down to is a tacit admission that Prayer doesn't work; miracles don't work. And you know they don't. So it's appeal to Faith.And it really does come down to a Choice here - whether to go with the evidence, or opt for a belief (not as a probability but a sure fact) on not only No good evidence but in despite of a heap of evidence that it isn't true.

And you think the OP is funny. Well, I'd be bemused if I though that was honest, but it is not. You don't think it's funny at all. You are rtrying to make a joke of it and laugh it off.

It isn't a joke, and you can't laugh it off.

We are closing in.
To whom was this directed?

Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM

All I want is testable evidence. Calling me insincere proves nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality