Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:43 AM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
That's fine, but doesn't answer the question about why you need to argue the Bible isn't real if you've already determined it has been "disproved"? You should rest easy in your knowledge of the truth...and feel sorry for those who believe fiction.
The problem is that the religious are using a work of fiction to discriminate against others.

Quote:
But your needing to show others that the Bible is disproved suggests to me that you aren't so sure of your position.
Then I suggest you start to think more rationally.

If Person A corrects Person B, do you ALWAYS think it is because Person A is not sure of their position? Because rational people usually presume Person A is correcting Person B because they actually know what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 09:51 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
But the person who is following the Bible...if they aren't a religious zealot harming people (in which case they're likely infringing on that person's rights as a citizen)...why do you feel they need "correction"?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
But the person who is following the Bible...if they aren't a religious zealot harming people (in which case they're likely infringing on that person's rights as a citizen)...why do you feel they need "correction"?
So if I said Elvis Presley was most famous for his ping pong playing abilities, you would not correct me?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:26 AM

No. Because I don't care about Elvis or pingpong enough to even be aware of the facts.

ETA

I just read this comment with comprehension. My answer is still no. I'd probably look at you like an idiot and think you were crazy because it's common knowledge what Elvis is famous for. There's no need to argue about something that's crystal clear.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No. Because I don't care about Elvis or pingpong enough to even be aware of the facts.

ETA

I just read this comment with comprehension. My answer is still no. I'd probably look at you like an idiot and think you were crazy because it's common knowledge what Elvis is famous for. There's no need to argue about something that's crystal clear.
And there is the evasion. If I made a claim about something you did care about but had it wrong, would you correct me?

Old 06-09-2018, 10:36 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, that is what the Bible says. And archaeology shows the Jews were originally Canaanites.
Yes, and not only that, the evolution of the word "Yahweh" is a direct descendant of the Canaanite gods. "El" was the primary god, who became "Elohim", which is a plural form.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:36 AM

Probably, depending on how I felt that day.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Probably, depending on how I felt that day.
Context?????

Please use the quote function. It helps the rest of us know what you mean.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yes, and not only that, the evolution of the word "Yahweh" is a direct descendant of the Canaanite gods. "El" was the primary god, who became "Elohim", which is a plural form.
I thought "Yahweh" came about due to the Hebrew letters that make up his name: yod hey vav hey (YHVH).

Old 06-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Context?????

Please use the quote function. It helps the rest of us know what you mean.
It was for the post right above it. Sorry...I use the "quick post" feature a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality