Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:48 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Here ya go:

www.bible.org
And here YOU go.

NOVA - Official Website | Archeology of the Hebrew Bible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Except that everyone knows the Harry Potter books are fiction. The Bible is a collection of 66 books, in different genres, different timelines, authors, etc....and they all agree on a common point.
That Jesus is NOT god; that Jesus IS god; and that Jesus is the son of the good god, and not the evil god of the OT.

Quote:
And archaeology proves a lot of it,
It actually proves the opposite.

Quote:
as does history,
See above.

Quote:
and the existence of the church.
Which tells of many Christianities, with the late 2nd century AD idea of the trinity coming into vogue around 200 AD.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Go to the bookstore, or search Amazon and find a good study Bible that will tie biblical stories to historical times and places. The earth has been around for thousands of years. So many things have happened in America THIS YEAR ALONE, and we are only halfway through. That's six months and ONE country full of historical events. What you are asking as proof is basically impossible for a human being...as you're asking them to prove thousands of years of world events.
Archeology has demonstrated a good study Bible is often worthless when doing history.

Quote:
And I think the nonbelievers know that...and just want to be able to say, "See, I told you so!!!" when a person can't produce what they're not willing to accept in the first place.
No, we know what the evidence tells us, whereas you need to pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Why are you in this forum if you don't believe? Is your goal to antagonize the believers?
Of course not. We are here to educate those willing to learn. It has nothing to do with believers.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Really all the skeptics can do it point out that a deal on Interpretation has to be done to get the prophecy to work, and time goes on and still nothing happens and the believers assure us 'any moment now' just as they have done for two thousand years (or nearly (the first end times claims surely began in the AD mid 30's - before Paul converted)
The people who wrote the Dead Sea scrolls were expecting a future end to the world about 100 years, if not more, before Paul. They also expected two messiahs at the same time.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Christian take on the sabbath is a complete pig's ear (if you will pardon the expression) as it comes from the OT (which Jesus was supposed to have replaced) it was specifically declared irrelevant by Jesus, and yet has been made very much a doctrinal issue -with the 'Sabbath' on the wrong day. I am so very glad I don't have to try to defend this dogs' breakfast of a religion.
There is really no wrong day. There just needs to be a specific day for it to be followed by all. Christians did follow the way of Judaism upwards of a few decades ago with the use of Blue Laws. But Capitalism became the firster over religion and out the door they it went. For Blue Laws to last so long, it showed that many Christians didn't believe JC stated it or the NT was not correct. IMO many thought if he followed all his life before his crucifixion, it made no sense for him to pull a 180 afterwards. Even though Christians hold it to be Sunday, in essence they are keeping to the Sabbath by spending part of the time in prayer and using it as a day to spend it with family. Those who shop or go to restaurants during the daytime are basically requiring others to work for them to do so which is multiple violations of the Sabbath.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:00 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, that is what the Bible says. And archaeology shows the Jews were originally Canaanites.
The Israelites lived in the land of the Canaanites but they were not Canaanites. Not by lineage.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Archeology has demonstrated a good study Bible is often worthless when doing history.

No, we know what the evidence tells us, whereas you need to pretend otherwise.

Of course not. We are here to educate those willing to learn. It has nothing to do with believers.
Why do you feel the need to study and know about these things when you don't believe? What purpose does if serve? Like I told a parent yesterday. I know the Easter bunny isn't real. I am not going to feverishly study something I know isn't real. It's a waste of my time. Neither will I try to convince others not to believe in the Easter bunny. That is also a waste of my time. Why should what they believe bother me if it doesn't infringe upon my rights?

Old 06-09-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to study and know about these things when you don't believe? What purpose does if serve? Like I told a parent yesterday. I know the Easter bunny isn't real. I am not going to feverishly study something I know isn't real. It's a waste of my time. Neither will I try to convince others not to believe in the Easter bunny. That is also a waste of my time. Why should what they believe bother me if it doesn't infringe upon my rights?
Except I DO believe Jews and Christians are real. I have met quiet a few. I was also a Christian once. And it was my interest in who the real Jesus was, plus my love of history, that made me study this.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The Israelites lived in the land of the Canaanites but they were not Canaanites. Not by lineage.
According to the disproven Bible.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Except I DO believe Jews and Christians are real. I have met quiet a few. I was also a Christian once. And it was my interest in who the real Jesus was, plus my love of history, that made me study this.
That's fine, but doesn't answer the question about why you need to argue the Bible isn't real if you've already determined it has been "disproved"? You should rest easy in your knowledge of the truth...and feel sorry for those who believe fiction. But your needing to show others that the Bible is disproved suggests to me that you aren't so sure of your position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality