Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
The religious know parables are illustrations, or teaching stories, and are Not real happenings, but the return of Christ is Not a parable or not an illustration.
Consider Acts 1:8 and Matthew 24:14 because just as Jesus said the literal good news of God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44 would be proclaimed on an international scale, and that is being done today as never before in history, so we are at the ' final phase ', so to speak, of that kingdom preaching work being done just at Jesus said it would be done.
That means we are nearing the ' final signal ', so to speak, of 1st Thess. 5:2-3 when ' they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security.." as the precursor to the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 before Christ's great return will happen just as recorded in Scripture to happen.
You are free to believe anything you want.

I choose to put my faith in the observable and verifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 03:21 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis-N View Post
Didn't early Christians (including Paul) think Jesus would return in their lifetimes? A section in 1 Thessalonians 4 is even titled "Believers Who Have Died"
In verse 15 it speaks about 'unto the coming' of the Lord.....
That ' coming ' is in connection to Matthew 25:31-33 when there will be a ' time of separation ' to take place on Earth.
In other words, there is a time of judgement coming to the people alive on Earth at the time of Matthew 25:31-33.
So, there would be No reason to think that ' return ' would be in the first century.
The Bible book of Revelation was Not written until the very end of the first century.
The setting for Revelation is for our day or time frame - Revelation 1:10; Daniel 12:4,9; 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13

Old 06-13-2018, 03:22 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
If Jesus existed, than presumably he spoke. Jesus himself wrote nothing however, so all we have are the things others said that Jesus said, decades after Jesus was executed. So when you attribute a quote to Jesus, you are working entirely on faith (the assumption) that Jesus actually said it.
The OP assumed Jesus existed and spoke.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

You expect Jesus to return, yes? Have you ever tried to imagine what that would be like? What he would be wearing? How would he introduce himself to the planet.

I am interested in your thoughts.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You expect Jesus to return, yes? Have you ever tried to imagine what that would be like? What he would be wearing? How would he introduce himself to the planet.

I am interested in your thoughts.
Revelation tells us.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You are free to believe anything you want.
I choose to put my faith in the observable and verifiable.
We are all free to believe anything we want. We all have the freedom to act responsibly toward God or not.
We should all put faith or confidence in the observable and verifiable.
I observe the world today is like the description found at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13.
That we are in the last days of badness on Earth before Jesus takes action.
To me that is verifiable by reading the morning newspaper or hearing the daily news.
When we pick up the morning paper we read about the bad news of men's kingdoms or governments.
When we pick up the Bible we read about the good news of God's kingdom or government of Daniel 2:44; Matt. 24:14.

Jesus I find based his teachings on the 'observable and verifiable' by using logical reasoning on Scripture.
Jesus warned us about the observable corrupt religious leaders false teachings - Matthew 15:9
Jesus verified that observation by pronouncing many ' woes ' along with his reasons why in chapter 23 of Matthew.
So, I observe that the world verifies that it is Not in harmony with the teachings of Christ, such as Not following the Golden Rule, and Not following Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35 to have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has. In other words, we are now to love neighbor more than self.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The rest of us are not required to assume that. Do as you wish, but do not expect others to follow you.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:45 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Revelation tells us.

Really? What is Jesus wearing? How tall is he? Socks with sandals? Eye color, weight, height.

I did not see this in Revelation.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Really? What is Jesus wearing? How tall is he? Socks with sandals? Eye color, weight, height.

I did not see this in Revelation.
He will be on a white horse. His eyes are like flame of fire, he wears many crowns. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood. He will have the armies of heaven behind , wearing clothes appearing to be fine white linen.

He will wield a sharp sword, and have an iron rod.

No--it doesn't tell how tall he is, or if he wears socks. I didn't claim that it did.
But he is a man. So he will be man-sized.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
"Glory" Matthew 25:31 says. Jesus with angelic armies (see also Matthew 16:27; Revelation 19:14-16)
We don't have to physically see Jesus, but with the ' mind's eye ' so to speak, will discern.
At John 17:6; John 17:26 Jesus said he would declare his Father's name, and make it known.

I suppose we might think of 1st Thess. 5:2-3 as an introduction because when the world's 'powers that be' will be saying, " Peace on Security..." that will be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
The executional words from Jesus' mouth will then rid the Earth of the wicked - Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-16.
Then, we will see the fulfillment of Ezekiel 47:12 in connection to Rev. 22:2 when there will be healing for earth's nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality