Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 05:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,035,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTheReckoner View Post
I agree with this. However on this note I have a question.

What if I study the bible independently, and do not listen to any "prophet" or church... let's say I interpret some things incorrectly.. will I go to hell? Shouldn't (the Christian) God know that I am searching?
How have you been? I hope well. I also hope to see you again soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,742,744 times
Quote:
A brief bit about me. I am in my early twenties, was raised without religion, family is not keen on religion. I've recently been exposed to Christianity and have been stricken with fear of hell, and now I am hedging my bets TRYING to believe.

What do you guys think?
I think you've been exposed to some sort of a warped kind of Christianity. Fear should not be part of it. You can't force yourself to believe something that doesn't make sense to you. I hope you are not genuinely afraid of going to hell because of what you've been told by a few fear-mongers. That's no way to spend your life.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I agree. What do you mean by "original" sin? As opposed to a new definition of sin? Thank you.
Basically, the doctrine of original sin teaches that you're a sinner the instant you draw your first breath. It teaches that God is still holding one man's transgression thousands of years ago over babies, and deeming them deserving of eternal torment because sin is evidently supposed to be some kind of genetically passed virus you're born with. Personally, I believe that Jesus Christ's Atonement covered Adam's sin every bit as fully as it covers mine. We're all responsible for our own sins and for nobody else's. And that's not rocket science.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Ask your Christian friends - If God is Love why did he create childhood cancer?
Yeah, or skinned knees or even bad hair days. God should never have let anything bad happen to us, and the fact that bad stuff does happen is proof there's no God. Any idiot should be able to figure that out.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,039,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, or skinned knees or even bad hair days. God should never have let anything bad happen to us, and the fact that bad stuff does happen is proof there's no God. Any idiot should be able to figure that out.
Its generally recognized that proving god doesnt exist is impossible.

The compulsion to prove the nonexistence of what you believe doesnt exist is irrational behaviour.
Any idiot should be able to figure that out.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Anyone who views the real world without rose colored glasses would recognize that it is void a supernatural puppet master. Is there the possibility of an indifferent higher being? Perhaps, but there is no rational reason to believe so.
Those who with eyes to see and minds unfetteted will find as much evidence as they allow themselves.
For some the light of truth shines.
https://youtu.be/kkGeOWYOFoA

Old 06-21-2018, 09:27 AM

The FSM is unfalsifiable. As are Zeus and Odin.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The FSM is unfalsifiable. As are Zeus and Odin.

Find something that works for you in your life and stick with it.

Thats what the religion and spirituality forum is about.
Its not about proving your non belief worldview.
No-one gives a flyin spaghetti monster about your opinion of their spiritual worldview.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Find something that works for you in your life and stick with it.

Thats what the religion and spirituality forum is about.
Its not about proving your non belief worldview.
No-one gives a flyin spaghetti monster about your opinion of their spiritual worldview.

Even you honor its holy name, in your attempt to curse it. It is a noodly sign and clear evidence, for those with the faith to see.

But that was not the helpful point. My point was that many endless lists of endless things are unfalsifiable.

Correct View (including world- and meta-world-view) is a precept that I favor discussing and spreading. That there are many non-believers (those who refuse to settle their belief comfortably in a rigorous self-critical study) doesn't presently concern me.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Even you honor its holy name, in your attempt to curse it. It is a noodly sign and clear evidence, for those with the faith to see.

But that was not the helpful point. My point was that many endless lists of endless things are unfalsifiable.

Correct View (including world- and meta-world-view) is a precept that I favor discussing and spreading. That there are many non-believers (those who refuse to settle their belief comfortably in a rigorous self-critical study) doesn't presently concern me.
Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality