Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Liberal theology is a cafeteria theology. You get to pick what you like and reject what you don't like. You are making yourself omniscient. Liberal theology rejects miracles and fulfilled prophecy. On what basis do you reject them?

I will bet you a dollar to a doughnut hole that Episcopal seminary course was not based on the inerrancy of the Bible, and reinforced liberal theology. If you believe something not reinforced from Scripture it is worthless. You have no assurance it is true.
And there you have it. It is not "pick what you like," but using a different standard. In this case it is the standard based on the standard promised by Jesus as recorded in your "infallible Bible but ignored by you: the promise of a "guide" to be with us forever, supported and govrned by the descriptions of the nature of that guide by Jesus and the apostles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
How silly. The time span in no way eliminates the writer from being an eyewitness. Not only that, it is impossible to accurately date when the gospels were written.
Dead people do not write books 80 years after they allegedly died.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:02 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Matthew copies part of Mark, so is not independent; and according to Tertullian, an early church father you say did not exist,

It is amusing how you secularist misread much of what I say. I did not say those me did not exist. I said they were not church fathers. God is the Father of his church, not sinful, errant men. Now I know the Catholic church calls the "church fathers" and if you want to believe that, that's fine with me.

Quote:
John was still being written over 80 years after it's alleged author allegedly died

But they didn't offer any verifiable evidence did they. If you want o believe hearsay, be my guest.

Quote:
knowing the Bible better than me means you knew that, right?

Knowing when and who wrote the Bible has nothing to do with knowing the Bible. I thought everyone knew that.

Quote:
And also point to him being fictional.

And again they offered no evidence, right?

Quote:
One just needs to decide which is more believable.

You finally got something right. I will stick with the men God inspired to write the Bible. If you wna't to accept the opinions of sinful men with an agenda, , be my guest

Quote:
Not the manuscripts, the texts we have. And if texts do not report the fall of Jerusalem, and talk about sacrifices that were taking place in the temple, that is very good evidence Hebrews was written before 70 AD (and therefore before the gospels).

If the text is not taken from the mss, they are of no value. What is in the book of Hebrews is not about the fall of Jerusalem or sacrifices in the temple. When Hebrews was written has no influence on what it teaches.

Quote:
According to the Bible. Circular.

It seems that what when the person does not understand what they are reading. Explain how it is circular. The truth is you can't.

Quote:
And fictional characters.
It is amusing but very sad that you are willing to accept something as true without a shred of evidence.

Quote:
The NT is very good evidence against itself.

Be specific. O you can't your source didn't tell you why. I have some land in Florida and a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

Quote:
I do not need to prove it. Not seeing three day dead zombies is enough evidence to doubt your and every other religious claim.

That's right. If you want to believe something with no evidence, feel free. It just seems very foolish to me.

Quote:
But cosmologists have more evidence than you do for Jesus.

Cosmologist should be the poster child for wild speculations. All of their theories should start with "once upon a time" and end with "they all lived happily ever after."

Quote:
People do not walk on water. Easy
The omnipotent Ones can.

Quote:
And as the gospels clearly do plagiarize, you have just refuted the gospels.

You clearly do not understand what constitutes plagiarism.

Quote:
Yes, and those men said the gospels were not eyewitness accounts. Do keep up.

Luke 1:2 and 2 Pet 2:16 might set you free. That is what the truth does. I am sure you can prove those 2 verses are wrong. I can hardly wait for your evidence they are wrong.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
It is amusing how you secularist misread much of what I say. I did not say those me did not exist. I said they were not church fathers. God is the Father of his church, not sinful, errant men. Now I know the Catholic church calls the "church fathers" and if you want to believe that, that's fine with me.
Post 285 'There is no such things as Christian fathers'

Quote:
But they didn't offer any verifiable evidence did they. If you want o believe hearsay, be my guest.
Yes he did, around 200 AD. He quoted John up to chapter 20 and said it ended there.

Do not put your head above the wall to claim victory, I will just shoot you in the head again.

Quote:
And again they offered no evidence, right?
It is the same evidence FOR a mythical gospel Jesus. If you want to admit to having no evidence ...

Quote:
You finally got something right. I will stick with the men God inspired to write the Bible. If you wna't to accept the opinions of sinful men with an agenda, , be my guest
Home goal for you.

Quote:
If the text is not taken from the mss, they are of no value. What is in the book of Hebrews is not about the fall of Jerusalem or sacrifices in the temple. When Hebrews was written has no influence on what it teaches.
So the Bible is of no value, and you have not read Hebrews but feel free to make things up about it. You really are not very good at arguing your points, are you.

Quote:
It seems that what when the person does not understand what they are reading. Explain how it is circular. The truth is you can't.
Using the bible to prove the bible is by definition circular.

Quote:
It is amusing but very sad that you are willing to accept something as true without a shred of evidence.
No, I have read novels were fictional characters have prophecies about them.

Quote:
Be specific. O you can't your source didn't tell you why. I have some land in Florida and a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.
Claiming victory after having already being defeated on this point is stupid. Jesus being born twice while not at all, remember?

Quote:
That's right. If you want to believe something with no evidence, feel free. It just seems very foolish to me.
So evidence given is not evidence?

Quote:
Cosmologist should be the poster child for wild speculations. All of their theories should start with "once upon a time" and end with "they all lived happily ever after."
From a Bible believer, how amusing.

Quote:
The omnipotent Ones can.
And fictional ones, remember?

Quote:
You clearly do not understand what constitutes plagiarism.
Strange how the plagiarism tool I wrote works, then, is it not?

Ninth commandment, have you forgotten it already? Also Proverbs 6:16-19 damns you twice over.

And if you have to invent excuses for your religion, then your religion is worthless.

Quote:
Luke 1:2 and 2 Pet 2:16 might set you free. That is what the truth does. I am sure you can prove those 2 verses are wrong. I can hardly wait for your evidence they are wrong.
2 Peter, second century AD forgery, rejected by Christians for the first 300 years of Christianity, Luke uses Josephus, so is written after 95 AD. Ask and you shall receive.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:14 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Actually I said Jesus may not have used sarcasm.

No.

I asked you to show me where Jesus used sarcasm, and you responded with the following: "Mark 7:5-13, 7:20-23, Luke 6:40-42, Matt 23:13-33".

Old 06-25-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I tout Christianity, not Christians. Christians are not perfect, we remain sinners. Maybe you need to consider how Jesus responded to His accusers. You can find it in Matt 23:13-23. One common word you will find in that passage is "hypocrite." Think about that before you criticize others.

If you want to criticize what I say, fine. I have ask if you criticize what trout says. I am still waiting for an answer and i bet you a dollar to a doughnut you have not. Guess what that makes you.
I'll talk about what I wish to talk about. You don't dictate that. You just worry about your own posts.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And there you have it. It is not "pick what you like," but using a different standard. In this case it is the standard based on the standard promised by Jesus as recorded in your "infallible Bible but ignored by you: the promise of a "guide" to be with us forever, supported and govrned by the descriptions of the nature of that guide by Jesus and the apostles.

You have it backwards. The only standard for fundamentalist is the Bible. Liberals are the one with no standard but their own. They pick and choose based on if it taste good to them. They have made themselves omniscient instead of God.

What do conservative ignore in the Bible? I bet you ignore more than we do.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
You have just called the Bible liberal theology.
If that is what you think, you have a serious reading comprehension problem/

Quote:
I did that, and you just dismissed it with no evidence.

See. You simply dismissed it. Now please tell me which translations says the Old Testament god was the father of Satan and the father of lies?

I didn't dismiss it, I pointed out where you are wrong. Big difference. No translsaation say God is he father of Satan and the the father of lies.

Quote:
[Clearly you do not understand that if plagiarism occurred, they are not independent accounts.

Clearly you don't. If an event is true, anyone can use it. If not there would only be one biography of George Washington.

Quote:
The census of Quirinius took place in 6 AD, which is 10 years after 4 BC. So how did Jesus manage to be born twice while never being on earth?

Hopefully one day you will realize I don't accpt opinions. Where is your evidence?

Quote:
No, you made up an excuse. Now please tell me which translations says the Old Testament god was the father of Satan and the father of lies?

Answered.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Dead people do not write books 80 years after they allegedly died.

"Allegedly" means you don't know. Come back when you have some verifiable evidence.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
"Allegedly" means you don't know. Come back when you have some verifiable evidence.
Take your own advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality