Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:54 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that some christians think that if they are talking to a person who doesn't believe in the bible, that if they quote bible verses the person they're talking to will then believe in the bible. Talk about a smack head!
If you’re going to talk about Christianity, you shouldn’t be surprised when scripture comes into the conversation. Thrillobyte uses scripture in most of his threads. This thread is a perfect example. Plus, a poster may not know who is and isn’t a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,778,610 times
Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me that some christians think that if they are talking to a person who doesn't believe in the bible, that if they quote bible verses the person they're talking to will then believe in the bible. Talk about a smack head!
You are defining Christianity by how you have seen certain people today define it, but not how I see it from reading and interpreting the Bible. But in the first century you might have identified with it.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM

50,252 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
You are defining Christianity by how you have seen certain people today define it, but not how I see it from reading and interpreting the Bible. But in the first century you might have identified with it.
True, because in the first century we didn't know much.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:54 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
True, because in the first century we didn't know much.

And fundies haven't kept pace.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM

50,252 posts, read 23,873,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And fundies haven't kept pace.
That's not to say they're dumb, but I think you're right.

I related before the story about when I was teaching evolution in earth science class, and one year the unit exam was to write an essay: "Why I believe in evolution" or "Why I don't believe in evolution". Everyone who wrote a page that showed at least a little thinking about the topic, regardless of which position they took, got an A. That was the year I had a number of very religious parents who came in complaining, and during conversations all said some variation on "I don't want my child to think". Even when their child was allowed to think and come to the religious conclusion...they still didn't want their child to think.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
That's not to say they're dumb, but I think you're right.

I related before the story about when I was teaching evolution in earth science class, and one year the unit exam was to write an essay: "Why I believe in evolution" or "Why I don't believe in evolution". Everyone who wrote a page that showed at least a little thinking about the topic, regardless of which position they took, got an A. That was the year I had a number of very religious parents who came in complaining, and during conversations all said some variation on "I don't want my child to think". Even when their child was allowed to think and come to the religious conclusion...they still didn't want their child to think.

Sadly, I'm not surprised. Keeping their children ignorant is why home-schooling is so common among fundamentalists sects. My own sister, with her 10th Grade education, home-schooled her three daughters.

Needless to say, a couple of decades later, all three girls are a mess.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:11 AM

16,596 posts, read 4,880,510 times
Quote:
But let's ask the other atheists in this thread what they think:

Have the posts of christians in this forum led you to:
a. have more respect for christian thought
b. have less respect for christian thought
Most of them have led to less respect.

There are a few I do respect, even when I disagree with them.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You’re changing the subject. Does the word “natural”, used in relation to the universe, imply a mover or source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’m not sure what you mean here, in relation to the word natural, when speaking of the universe.
The word natural means running by the rules of the universe without the need of an improbable intelligence.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezzilla View Post
Here is the most accurate English translation of John 8:44. This is the Matthew's Bible with modified spelling and grammar. This is even more accurate than the KJV.

John 8:44 New Matthew Bible (NMB)

Jesus is not speaking about God the Father in this verse. He is speaking about Satan. Other translations agree with the NMB,

John 8:44 King James Version (KJV)

John 8:44 English Standard Version (ESV)

John 8:44 Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)

John 8:44 1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)

John 8:44 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

John 8:44 Modern English Version (MEV)

John 8:44 New King James Version (NKJV)

John 8:44 New Living Translation (NLT)

John 8:44 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

John 8:44 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

They all say the same thing.
As I said, they all MIStranslate the passage.

ὑμεῖς ἐκ πατρὸς τοῦ διαβόλου ἐστὲ καὶ τὰς ἐπιθυμίας τοῦ πατρὸς ὑμῶν θέλετε ποιεῖν ἐκεῖνος ἀνθρωποκτόνος ἦν ἀπ' ἀρχῆς καὶ ἐν τῇ ἀληθείᾳ οὐχ ἔστηκεν ὅτι οὐκ ἔστιν ἀλήθεια ἐν αὐτῷ ὅταν λαλῇ τὸ ψεῦδος ἐκ τῶν ἰδίων λαλεῖ ὅτι ψεύστης ἐστὶν καὶ ὁ πατὴρ αὐτοῦ

The words in bold and underscored are in the Genetive case, that is they belong to something, they are OF something.

So the phrase in English should read "You are of the father of the devil". The father of the devil is the OT god (unless you want to argue Jesus created everything including the devil, which makes no sense here).

In full, the pericope is saying the father of Jesus is not the father of the Jews, who "was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies".

Old 07-12-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yeah. They think a wall of nonsensical bible-babble somehow bolsters their case.

I don't think too many fundies qualify for Mensa.
To be fair, I mentioned this Bible passage first, as an example of how Christians mistranslate passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality