Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:42 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Just another of your threads claiming that any belief in any god is superior to a lack in a belief on any of them.
This is something I will respond to because I DO respect atheists. That assumption is false and I don't think that.

But I do NOT respect atheists who don't understand religious belief. Who think that it is all evil and has done nothing good for the world. That's the craziest idea that I've ever heard. It literally makes no sense at all. I must sound incoherent when I think about it but it makes me crazy to hear those thoughts from atheists.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That post is off topic.
No, it's been the most on topic point made so far, in my humble opinion.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:47 PM

631 posts, read 562,394 times
I studied French literature in graduate school, including the writings of René Descartes, which are not typically considered "literature"... but we studied them. He definitely was of the mind that God ordered the world, the universe and that science could be used to discover the laws of this world/the universe. It was fascinating stuff. I think a lot of great thinkers of his age were similarly motivated/minded.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This is something I will respond to because I DO respect atheists. That assumption is false and I don't think that.

But I do NOT respect atheists who don't understand religious belief. Who think that it is all evil and has done nothing good for the world. That's the craziest idea that I've ever heard. It literally makes no sense at all. I must sound incoherent when I think about it but it makes me crazy to hear those thoughts from atheists.
Your posts show nothing but contempt towards atheists and the concept 9f atheism, enough so that you will not even portray our views or our posts accurately.

This thread is set up so that there can only be one answer. You are not looking for a discussion but only agreement with your claim. Your claim that at a time when the church ruled and non believers could be put to death that religion was the leader in starting science however no other info is allowed for discussion.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:51 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
This is not about the religious authorities and hierarchies which have tried to stop scientific progress for political purposes. So please don't discuss that in this thread.

The true faith in God is what allowed for science to blossom. Religious people believed in a higher order in the universe. They didn't think it was merely random stuff which formed the universe.

Their ancient texts attest to this view of an awesome universe with a higher order and design.

What do you think of the idea that religious people may have been the first people with a knowledge and respect for what would later become science?
You might have a point if you're talking about Einstein's kind of god. Maybe such a belief could motivate primitive people to try to figure out how some celestial being pieced together the clockwork of the universe.

Now...if you're talking about the sorts of gods who insta-poofed humanity into existence from nothing, or clay...that's just going to confuse the hell out of the primitives and send them on all sorts of weird research routes that nobody who didn't believe in the insta-poofing kind of god would ever think sensible to search down.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
You might have a point if you're talking about Einstein's kind of god. Maybe such a belief could motivate primitive people to try to figure out how some celestial being pieced together the clockwork of the universe.

Now...if you're talking about the sorts of gods who insta-poofed humanity into existence from nothing, or clay...that's just going to confuse the hell out of the primitives and send them on all sorts of weird research routes that nobody who didn't believe in the insta-poofing kind of god would ever think sensible to search down.
Which is why I think your second paragraph is pure fantasy. But one that atheists seem to enjoy talking about.

Speculating what people in the past believed based upon a religious text. That's really stupid. We don't even know how many people were able to read back then, or were even aware of everything that was in the texts.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:59 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Practically every response here violated the first statement in my OP.

Do you people really have such poor reading skills? Or do you really have no clue about the difference faith and "the church"?
This is an open forum.

Besides, the fact that religion HAS held science back refutes the OP, so you can not make a claim and then say not to present evidence against it.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that the new atheists really are not very bright people. Not the sharpest tools in the shed, so to speak,
(That's a figure of speech by the way).
Lol, we have read your posts. I would be careful of whom you criticize.

As to your OP, people are naturally curious, regardless of religion.

Just because science was initially done by religious people does not mean that science was always done because of religion or for religion.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Again, you posted something about the church. Completely off topic.

I think that some atheists just don't like the fact that religious people have often been more in tune with understanding the cosmos throughout history. But they don't even want to think about that. They just want to ridicule the idea.
I think you just don't like the fact that people who had beards have often been more in tune with understanding the cosmos throughout history. But you don't even want to think about that. You just want to ridicule the idea.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Speculating what people in the past believed based upon a religious text. That's really stupid. We don't even know how many people were able to read back then, or were even aware of everything that was in the texts.
It is better to speculate on texts we have than to speculate with no evidence.

Plus those texts tell us what those people believed.

And someone could read, otherwise they would not have written those texts.

And those who could not read still had ears.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I think you just don't like the fact that people who had beards have often been more in tune with understanding the cosmos throughout history. But you don't even want to think about that. You just want to ridicule the idea.
How can you compare something like faith to beards? Faith in a higher order of reality than what is seen in the physical world. Don't you think there is something honorable in that?

I wonder how many people that criticize and even RIDICULE faith in the real world, find appreciation in stories like Star Wars when it talks about the Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality