U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:14 PM
 
8,596 posts, read 11,890,813 times
Reputation: 3130

Advertisements

This is an accurate take on the story.

Just picture how it is presented in the Gospel of John. The disciple outruns the other to the tomb, only to find it empty. It's a picture of disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,513 posts, read 2,596,808 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Trying to prove the nonexistence of what he believes didnt happen is an irrational obsession of atheists.
They dont even notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Possibly. Trying bouncing that off an atheist.
I've been trying to determine whether Jesus actually was a real person and whether or not this real person was crucified and 'resurrected' on the third (or any) day. I'm looking for evidence that all this did happen. Unfortunately, the evidence points away from the likelihood. Not so much the non-existence but the resurrection part seems unlikely. But it it did occur, we would be looking at a near death experience. Another aspect I am looking for evidence of is that this man now known as Jesus was some deluded crazy guy who actually engineered his own execution in the misguided belief that he would 'overcome' and survive. To this end he would have plotted to have Judas 'betray' him and have a means of getting off the cross alive. The sponge dipped in wine on a reed and held to his lips?

The trouble with the burial and empty tomb are the confliction and contradicting accounts. Like the five women who went to the tomb and found it open and an angel who told them to go and tell the twelve but instead fled and told no-one. So how did the writer know about it if they told no-one? It all sounds like made up stories after the fact.

Even Peter in the courtyard hearing what was going on inside. Didn't happen - made up story.

So the more I learn the more the whole thing sounds fabricated. I did not start out with an agenda to disprove.

Then we have the problem of the miracles ..... A subject for another thread.

By the way, people coming alive again after dying is not unheard of. Sometimes it happens in mortuaries - on the post mortem table even! Graves have been exhumed only to discover the dead person has turned over in his coffin! So resurrecting is not a far fetch and no reason to declare a man to be a god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
Reputation: 47456
There is no proof of an after life -but there is much proof that there are consequences for our actions
Many bet heavily that is not the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,513 posts, read 2,596,808 times
Reputation: 2787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
There is no proof of an after life - but there is much proof that there are consequences for our actions
Many bet heavily that is not the case
True. Those consequences resulting from our actions occur during life. There is no proof that anything happens after death.

Of course there are those that do bet on what will happen after death in spite of there being a total lack of evidence. That makes no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,937 posts, read 8,893,958 times
Reputation: 18326
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
True. Those consequences resulting from our actions occur during life. There is no proof that anything happens after death.

Of course there are those that do bet on what will happen after death in spite of there being a total lack of evidence. That makes no sense to me.
Thank you. Exactly my feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 09:23 PM
 
10,183 posts, read 10,553,565 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
THRILLOYTE! You never referenced my "lost tomb " theory which I have explained over and over again in your argument!

I think I made the most valid modern point.....if this momentous event happened, then why, to this day, is there no proof at all and no common agreement on WHERE this supposed miraculous tomb supposedly is?
Apologies, Cat. I simply didn't make all these connections at the time you were posting all this. Now that it's getting wider and wider exposure and people are finally starting to pull the veil off Christianity's skeletons more and more of us, me included, are starting to put together the pieces of an extremely complex Christian puzzle to get the whole picture of a massive conspiracy dating back to 100 CE or so. My guess: by 2050 Christianity is just a fringe religion like it was circa 50 CE, at least here in the states, Canada, Europe, Australia and most of 1st World. It's already happening.

http://www.newsweek.com/christianity...-europe-859272

Last edited by thrillobyte; 06-30-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 AM
 
Location: US
26,280 posts, read 13,939,623 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
All unsubstantiated OPINIONS with absolutely no verifiable evidence. We have 4 honest men reporting it did happen and you can't refute anything they said.
Four honest men outside of the Gospels?...And how do you know that they were honest?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 02:58 AM
 
Location: US
26,280 posts, read 13,939,623 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
A careful study of the epistles reveals that according to Paul's beliefs Jesus had no presence as such on earth. Richard Carrier and Robert Price, both esteemed Biblical scholars with PhD's in ancient history have done treatises showing how Paul thought Jesus was a spiritual god, not a corporeal one. Paul always speaks of Jesus in the heavenly realms. He never talks at all about details of Jesus' life on earth such as Mary, his mother, his miracles, his betrayal, Pontius Pilate, the trial, the empty tomb.etc. If Paul had known about an empty tomb, being in jerusalem at the time he surely would have mentioned it in the epistles but he doesn't. Paul doesn't even know Judas had killed himself and there were only 11 disciples. Paul says Jesus appeared to the 12 when there were only 11. Paul knows none of this which means the Christian theology was still in its primitive state and hadn't evolved. 40 years after Paul's death when the gospels are being written the theology is being tweaked and changed to suit the prevailing times and that's when all these details about Christ's life start to emerge.
So, maybe Judas didnít really kill himself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 AM
 
Location: US
26,280 posts, read 13,939,623 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

1 Cor. 15:3-7
And we have historical evidence of this?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Germany
2,430 posts, read 411,859 times
Reputation: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still you missed Saul`s (Paul`s) conversion to Christianity from Acts 9:1-9 .......``And Saul , yet breathing out threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord went to the High Priest...............and desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way , whether they were men or women , he might bring them bound to Jerusalem .................And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus, and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven ..................And he fell to the earth , and heard a voice saying to him Saul, Saul why are you persecuting me ? ........ And Saul said Who are you Lord? And the Lord said ``I AM JESUS whom you persecute , it is hard for you to kick against the pricks ..............And Saul trembling and astonished said Lord what will you have me to do? And the Lord said to him Arise and go into the city and it will be told you what you must do ..........And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice , but seeing no man.........And Saul arose from the earth , and when his eyes were opened he saw no man , but they led him by the hand , and brought him to Damascus...................... See here is the conversion of Paul to Christianity as He got a witness of Jesus Christ who was risen from the dead and here is Jesus many months after the empty tomb , where Jesus has many times given His coverts a complete witness of His resurrection from the dead
Acts is a second century AD fake history that contradicts Paul's letters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top