Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 AM

16,757 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
turn the other cheek is actually a good bit. Its a great example of conditional morals. most times its just better to turn the other cheek, teach, and move on. sometimes, you knock the person's teeth out. but that kind of thing lady liberals don't understand. be that as it may.
Someone attacks your family physically or verbally, someone makes a racist joke, and you think you should turn your other cheek? Only once did I turn the other cheek, because retaliation would not solve anything. But two years later, when the truth came out, I frightened that liar and bully until his gang lost respect, and then I put him on his back.

Turning the other cheek is rarely a good option, something people who use phrases like 'lady liberals' would not understand.

Quote:
We don't "need jesus", I said he fine as a central theme today. Like the words "the sun will rise tomorrow."
People can live quiet well without Jesus, many of us do. And many did before Christianity was just a sect of Judaism. I notice your rhetoric failed to address any of the points I made.

Quote:
why do you have a "need" to prove he didn't exist? to me, it just doesn't matter.
It does not matter to me whether the fictional gospel Jesus was based on a real person or on an idea of an angel. For most of my life I even accepted he did exist as a person, and that he was highly mythologized. But the more I studied the history of Christianity (one of my hobbies), I noticed the earliest Christian references all said he was an angel, with Hebrews saying he was sacrificed once only, in heaven, and that he was never on earth.

Need has nothing to do with it, I go with what the evidence says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:42 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Someone attacks your family physically or verbally, someone makes a racist joke, and you think you should turn your other cheek? Only once did I turn the other cheek, because retaliation would not solve anything. But two years later, when the truth came out, I frightened that liar and bully until his gang lost respect, and then I put him on his back.

Turning the other cheek is rarely a good option, something people who use phrases like 'lady liberals' would not understand.

I have turned the other cheek a million times, and that is good to do when you can, but the real life demands some people to put their hands on other people. My family always ran a home where the cops would bring people to our house, and sometimes, there would be 60 plus people, all of which were heroin addicts, drunks and the like. You simply can't run a house like that without putting your hands on people. The thing is, I have had maybe 60, 70 fights, and every man I put my hands on ended up loving me like none of my friends. Sometimes the best you can do is to whip a grown man when he knows for sure that he is wrong, and when you do beat him to take his punishment, he will thank you the rest of your life because he lives with regret, and at least in that one instance, he had to pay for his misdeeds in humility, plus, you didn't call the cops and which would be worse?

It is the strangest thing, when you hit a man who is doing wrong and he knows he is doing wrong, from then on, he loves you like his own father. Men still call me at times, the very ones I beat down, they are forever in my debt, and the moment I say Hello, they begin to cry because they love me that much.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I have turned the other cheek a million times, and that is good to do when you can, but the real life demands some people to put their hands on other people. My family always ran a home where the cops would bring people to our house, and sometimes, there would be 60 plus people, all of which were heroin addicts, drunks and the like. You simply can't run a house like that without putting your hands on people. The thing is, I have had maybe 60, 70 fights, and every man I put my hands on ended up loving me like none of my friends. Sometimes the best you can do is to whip a grown man when he knows for sure that he is wrong, and when you do beat him to take his punishment, he will thank you the rest of your life because he lives with regret, and at least in that one instance, he had to pay for his misdeeds in humility, plus, you didn't call the cops and which would be worse?

It is the strangest thing, when you hit a man who is doing wrong and he knows he is doing wrong, from then on, he loves you like his own father. Men still call me at times, the very ones I beat down, they are forever in my debt, and the moment I say Hello, they begin to cry because they love me that much.
Hannibal, you've had some truly unusual experiences with beating men down. I assume you mean verbally like a debate, since I sincerely doubt you ever physically beat down 60, 70 guys, come on! Worse, I sincerely doubt they all loved you enough to start crying every time you say hi after you pounded them into the pavement. This is a perfect example of how the tall tales in the Bible were created. The graveyards are filled with guys who got beat up and then came back to put a bullet into the guy who floored them. That's human nature, atheist or Christian.

The "turn the other cheek" stuff of Jesus was concocted by the Romans and inserted into the gospels by lackeys of the Roman emperor to try to teach the Jews to stop rebelling against them.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hannibal, you've had some truly unusual experiences with beating men down. I assume you mean verbally like a debate, since I sincerely doubt you ever physically beat down 60, 70 guys, come on! Worse, I sincerely doubt they all loved you enough to start crying every time you say hi after you pounded them into the pavement. This is a perfect example of how the tall tales in the Bible were created. The graveyards are filled with guys who got beat up and then came back to put a bullet into the guy who floored them. That's human nature, atheist or Christian.

The "turn the other cheek" stuff of Jesus was concocted by the Romans and inserted into the gospels by lackeys of the Roman emperor to try to teach the Jews to stop rebelling against them.
LOL.

60 or 70 is a conservative number, I got into 20 fights just in high school, but from the time I was 16 to the time I was 25, I at least had 30 fights, and many other these people we took care of. Where I grew up, everyone learned how to fight and that is all we did was fight. If you wanted to go to school where I went to school, people like you may come and put their money on their shoulders for anyone to take it, and take it they would. If you wanted to keep your lunch money, you fought, and you fought every day, or you just became another person who willingly handed their money over every day.

Fighting become an addiction especially when you get hurt, you may not believe what I say, but you build a place to house 60 people who are drug abusers, single moms, and more drunks living on the same property, and you are going to fight, and if you don't fight, you watch while somebody else gets hurt because you can't control the people under your own ward.

You either fight and put people in their place, or you call the cops and do something more terrible than hitting them...........Maybe you live in a dream reality where you are never faced with such problems and you are lucky, but people who run these type of homes don't live in your perfect reality. They are angry getting off booze and drugs, and people go crazy, and that is ok, it is expected, but with so many people living at your house, you will simply end up protecting others, or the property of other people because you are dealing with thieves, desperate drug addict and desperate drunks......Will you call the police on them, get them put in jail, or will you work with them even if it means that you yourself have to put them n their place?

People still write to my mother from overseas, or from here or there, people we took in and changed their lives from addicts to being missionaries and upstanding citizens because we actually loved them, and we handled whatever misfortune came along.........

Your reality is taking care of yourself?

Try dealing with 60 or 70 people who are so miserable and who have nothing. You would have to deal with more than you could ever imagine.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 PM

You take dude in, and there is no getting drunk or getting high at the house, but one of the people sneak inside your own personal house and drops down on the couch, and he doesn't have any cloths on at all. You wake up in the middle of the night because this drunk idiot has kicked over a $1500 dollar antique and broke it, and there he is laying naked on your couch with your mother in the next room. You wake him up trying to get him to go back to his assigned place, and he freaks out and runs into your mother's room naked and screaming your mother's name. Your mother wakes up terrified for good reason, what do you do? I did what I do, and then I apologized to mom because of the violence, and she looked at me and said,'' Son, had you not done what you have done, I wouldn't have respect for you, you protected your mother, Thank you.''

Living on the same property with drunks and drug addicts is not like your normal life, stupid stuff happens every day.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:39 PM

I could write a book about every single mom we took in, moms who had husbands that beat them nearly to death, and you know what happens when you take in a woman that has a violent man out there that thinks he owns that woman? I dealt with a bunch of them, but my Dad impressed me the most. A man tried to come and take his wife while she was screaming, and my dad grabbed him by the neck with one hand and I thought my dad would kill him, and then he reached his other hand to open the door, but the door was stuck, and he pulld the nob right off, 4 screws holding in, and when that didn't work, he drug him out the side door and flung him. My Dad was like 65 then, and this strong man was about 35, but my dad totally man handled him.......These were re-occurring things that happened many times, the angry husband wanting his wife back. We do have plenty of newspaper clippings, they did stories on us all the time.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 PM

919 posts, read 608,881 times
Quote:

Fighting become an addiction especially when you get hurt, you may not believe what I say, but you build a place to house 60 people who are drug abusers, single moms, and more drunks living on the same property, and you are going to fight, and if you don't fight, you watch while somebody else gets hurt because you can't control the people under your own ward.

You either fight and put people in their place, or you call the cops and do something more terrible than hitting them...........Maybe you live in a dream reality where you are never faced with such problems and you are lucky, but people who run these type of homes don't live in your perfect reality. They are angry getting off booze and drugs, and people go crazy, and that is ok, it is expected, but with so many people living at your house, you will simply end up protecting others, or the property of other people because you are dealing with thieves, desperate drug addict and desperate drunks......Will you call the police on them, get them put in jail, or will you work with them even if it means that you yourself have to put them n their place?

Try dealing with 60 or 70 people who are so miserable and who have nothing. You would have to deal with more than you could ever imagine.
You had an "addiction" to fighting? So you enjoyed hurting & dominating others? Huh. (Maybe you should see a therapist about that) So much for 'turn the other cheek'.

Why on earth would anyone house single mothers who are victims of violent abuse, presumably their children, & angry drunks & druggies, in the same place?
Commonsense would dictate that one look after one or the other; mothers & their kids OR "crazy angry" drunks & druggies. ........ unless one looks forward to dramas & violent confrontations I suppose.

Yes I certainly believe in defending myself, family & friends & the defenseless, but I certainly don't go looking for the opportunity.

Last edited by Legion777; 07-23-2018 at 11:22 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
2. Yes, it does matter if Jesus actually existed. Because if Jesus did not exist, then the whole religion is built on a lie.
Exactly old thing...which is why it is important to argue for things like the existence of Nazareth because if there was no Nazareth then there couldn't have been any 'Jesus of Nazareth'.... and the foundations of Christianity wobble just a little bit more.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:28 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly old thing...which is why it is important to argue for things like the existence of Nazareth because if there was no Nazareth then there couldn't have been any 'Jesus of Nazareth'.... and the foundations of Christianity wobble just a little bit more.
Are you my grandmother come back from the dead? You sure nag like she did.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:47 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
I could write a book ...
Perhaps you should write a book - or several books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality