Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 10:39 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

One of the "proofs" cited by Christian apologists as being irrefutable evidence Jesus rose is the empty tomb. But this detail is easily defeated simply by common sense and knowing a little history.

1. We have no extra-Biblical testimony of anyone seeing a tomb or Jesus coming out of the tomb or Jesus being seen after being crucified. In short it's all a complete blank

2. Paul makes no mention of a tomb or Jesus being laid in a tomb by Joseph of A. or anything about what happened to Jesus after being crucified. For Paul it's just "He was crucified, died, buried (we're not told how or where) and resurrected. That's it.

Check out idiot WL Craig's eight lines of evidence support a historical empty tomb tradition:

* The historical reliability of the story of Jesus' burial supports the empty tomb.

What historical reliability????? The empty tomb/Jesus' resurrection is not mentioned ONCE in history!!

** Paul's testimony implies the fact of the empty tomb.

Notice the trick word, "implies". In fact Paul never once mentions a tomb in relation to Jesus.

***The empty tomb story is part of Mark's source material and is therefore very old.

We cannot reliably date Mark any earlier than the 2nd century because no words of Mark's gospel appear in manuscript and no mention of Mark occurs until the late 2nd century

****The phrase "The first day of the week" is very ancient.

Bogus nonsense.

*****The story is simple and lacks legendary development.

There's nothing except legend surrounding the empty tomb if we have not a single historical reference to it

*****The tomb was probably discovered by women.

And how does this prove an empty tomb if the stories are all coming from fictional gospel accounts???

******The disciples could not have preached the resurrection in Jerusalem had the tomb not been empty.

******The earliest Jewish propaganda against the Christians presupposes the empty tomb.

This is just word-speak devised by Craig and other apologists to try to add something to a list of "proof" where there is nothing.

The empty tomb nonsense was just a later development by early church men to support the growing story that Jesus was resurrected. Before the gospels Christians had absolutely no idea of an empty tomb because it doesn't show up anywhere in the 1st century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 10:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
I hate to say it, it is a popularity contest.

the word of the account in the bible? it just doesn't add up to a guy re-animating himself in the magical way.

beaten almost to death? crucified and lived? friends took him and he stay hidden or never made a full recovery? err, yeah, a lot more reasonable than died, woke up, and flew away.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:56 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
There are too many more plausible alternatives to why the tomb was empty to argue for the resurrection.

Jesus was buried on the first night as a criminal in the wilderness, as per Jewish law, with no family witnesses. The story was later embellished.

Jesus was in shock when he was put in the tomb, woke up and wandered off only to die alone somewhere. When his body was found, it was unrecognizable. The Christians can not argue the guards in Matthew as even in that story they were placed their the following day.

The body of Jesus was placed in a temporary tomb before being moved to the holding place for dead criminals. When the alleged witnesses from afar arrived at the empty tomb, the body had been placed elsewhere.

The whole story is fictional, hence no mention of the inevitable uproar from the Romans when a criminal disappeared. To the authorities, either a criminal had survived, or someone had stolen the body.

I am sure others can think of more than the four I gave.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
One of the "proofs" cited by Christian apologists as being irrefutable evidence Jesus rose is the empty tomb. But this detail is easily defeated simply by common sense and knowing a little history.

1. We have no extra-Biblical testimony of anyone seeing a tomb or Jesus coming out of the tomb or Jesus being seen after being crucified. In short it's all a complete blank

2. Paul makes no mention of a tomb or Jesus being laid in a tomb by Joseph of A. or anything about what happened to Jesus after being crucified. For Paul it's just "He was crucified, died, buried (we're not told how or where) and resurrected. That's it.

Check out idiot WL Craig's eight lines of evidence support a historical empty tomb tradition:

* The historical reliability of the story of Jesus' burial supports the empty tomb.

What historical reliability????? The empty tomb/Jesus' resurrection is not mentioned ONCE in history!!

** Paul's testimony implies the fact of the empty tomb.

Notice the trick word, "implies". In fact Paul never once mentions a tomb in relation to Jesus.

***The empty tomb story is part of Mark's source material and is therefore very old.

We cannot reliably date Mark any earlier than the 2nd century because no words of Mark's gospel appear in manuscript and no mention of Mark occurs until the late 2nd century

****The phrase "The first day of the week" is very ancient.

Bogus nonsense.

*****The story is simple and lacks legendary development.

There's nothing except legend surrounding the empty tomb if we have not a single historical reference to it

*****The tomb was probably discovered by women.

And how does this prove an empty tomb if the stories are all coming from fictional gospel accounts???

******The disciples could not have preached the resurrection in Jerusalem had the tomb not been empty.

******The earliest Jewish propaganda against the Christians presupposes the empty tomb.

This is just word-speak devised by Craig and other apologists to try to add something to a list of "proof" where there is nothing.

The empty tomb nonsense was just a later development by early church men to support the growing story that Jesus was resurrected. Before the gospels Christians had absolutely no idea of an empty tomb because it doesn't show up anywhere in the 1st century.

All unsubstantiated OPINIONS with absolutely no verifiable evidence. We have 4 honest men reporting it did happen and you can't refute anything they said.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:22 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
All unsubstantiated OPINIONS with absolutely no verifiable evidence. We have 4 honest men reporting it did happen and you can't refute anything they said.
With one of them writing over 80 years after he allegedly died.

But thank you for putting forward your unsubstantiated OPINIONS with absolutely no verifiable evidence.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:50 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Here we go!

Let's take just the first two I mentioned:

1. Show me one secular historian in the 1st Century outside the New Testament who mentions the resurrection or the empty tomb. Just one!

2. Show me ANYWHERE in the epistles of Paul where he mentions Jesus was buried in a tomb and the tomb was empty when the women came to visit it. There's isn't any!

Still unsubstantiated??????

Omega, you're one of these "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it" Christians. For you no amount of incontrovertible evidence would sway you. There are millions of Christians just like you who say, "I don't care if Jesus appears and says 'I did not rise' I'd still believe in the resurrection." In fact I think you say these outrageous things just to yank our chains. You're probably laughing off your seat sitting at your computer.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:52 AM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
How do you know they were honest?

That, too, is an opinion.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:20 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Still you missed Saul`s (Paul`s) conversion to Christianity from Acts 9:1-9 .......``And Saul , yet breathing out threats and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord went to the High Priest...............and desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way , whether they were men or women , he might bring them bound to Jerusalem .................And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus, and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven ..................And he fell to the earth , and heard a voice saying to him Saul, Saul why are you persecuting me ? ........ And Saul said Who are you Lord? And the Lord said ``I AM JESUS whom you persecute , it is hard for you to kick against the pricks ..............And Saul trembling and astonished said Lord what will you have me to do? And the Lord said to him Arise and go into the city and it will be told you what you must do ..........And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice , but seeing no man.........And Saul arose from the earth , and when his eyes were opened he saw no man , but they led him by the hand , and brought him to Damascus...................... See here is the conversion of Paul to Christianity as He got a witness of Jesus Christ who was risen from the dead and here is Jesus many months after the empty tomb , where Jesus has many times given His coverts a complete witness of His resurrection from the dead

Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Thrill, who are you trying to convince with all these threads? Me or you?

Old 06-30-2018, 01:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Thrill, who are you trying to convince with all these threads? Me or you?

Relax. Not you. He's trying to reach Christians who are still capable of objectivity and rational thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality