Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 09:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

That's why a map would be nice...eliminate the dead ends that waste our time.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's why a map would be nice...eliminate the dead ends that waste our time.
Ah, but are they ever truly a waste of time?

OR, do I just not want to admit that so much of life has been a waste of time?

I think I need another glass of red wine to help me think this through.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
We realize that you don't want to be questioned.
Ask away!

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, but are they ever truly a waste of time?

OR, do I just not want to admit that so much of life has been a waste of time?

I think I need another glass of red wine to help me think this through.
Depends. Sometimes dead-ends are just dead-ends. Sometimes we learn something while we're in tere.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Ask away!
We ask every day.

We rarely get any answer beyond "I have faith".

We keep saying that's not good enough.

Vicious circle.

"We" does not mean everyone.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
We ask every day.

We rarely get any answer beyond "I have faith".

We keep saying that's not good enough.

Vicious circle.

"We" does not mean everyone.
Well,
It's probably because you haven't talked with some who was an atheist.
At least someone who thought it meant something different than absolute certainty of there is no Creator.
Typically I used to follow the theory of evolution being rational and plausible. But that was because I was only presented with evidences perpetuated in the curriculum at the time.
Which was taught in public schools.
Even so, they only explained it as a theory and it was only a very short introduction.
Throughout most of my education the sciences of biology only intoduced known facts.
The fun stuff, no evolution discussed.
And being an avid enthusiest of nature. I loved to learn about all of creation. Never got to involved with chemistry or geology.
Biology and physics were my favorites.
I should probably go refresh on some of the basics.

Either way.
There came a time when I had to acknowledge my own uncertainties. Kinda scary. But an absolutely wonderfull journey to be where the Lord has brought me.

Typically I discuss exegesis in the Christian forum.
But here nah.

A nice relaxed conversation would be nice.

I don't think athiest should try delving into scripture with out a helper.
So just ask about everyday life kind of stuff.
Family, profession, friends.
Joy and concerns kind of conversation.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Well,
It's probably because you haven't talked with some who was an atheist.
At least someone who thought it meant something different than absolute certainty of there is no Creator.
Typically I used to follow the theory of evolution being rational and plausible. But that was because I was only presented with evidences perpetuated in the curriculum at the time.
Which was taught in public schools.
Even so, they only explained it as a theory and it was only a very short introduction.
Throughout most of my education the sciences of biology only intoduced known facts.
The fun stuff, no evolution discussed.
And being an avid enthusiest of nature. I loved to learn about all of creation. Never got to involved with chemistry or geology.
Biology and physics were my favorites.
I should probably go refresh on some of the basics.

Either way.
There came a time when I had to acknowledge my own uncertainties. Kinda scary. But an absolutely wonderfull journey to be where the Lord has brought me.

Typically I discuss exegesis in the Christian forum.
But here nah.

A nice relaxed conversation would be nice.

I don't think athiest should try delving into scripture with out a helper.
So just ask about everyday life kind of stuff.
Family, profession, friends.
Joy and concerns kind of conversation.
No. Wrong again.

I don't believe there is no god is a certainty. Show me the proof...not faith...and I'll actually be happy to believe.

As a teacher of earth science who taught evolution, while I cannot say what you personally experienced in school, your depiction of how evolution was taught in public schools is not valid. When taught correctly -- in places where it was taught -- teacher simply taught here's what we know and here's what we think. In general, I don't think that there is any doubt whatsoever about evolution. But I never told a student that. What did I get in return -- parents who sometimes LITERALLY said "I don't want my child to think".

Perhaps a christian shouldn't delve into atheism without a helper. (Really, your comment is just more christian ego).

Old 07-06-2018, 04:03 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny how the topic of religion almost always focuses against Bible believing Christians here. I don't see a desire for discussion. Just Bible bashing and venting against God.
Funny how I was talking about ALL religions, just like the OP, and you made it about your (singular) religion.

Atheist: I do not believe in gods.
Jeff: Stop persecuting Christians.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Perhaps because I almost never see open-minded, educated discussion about christianity. What I most often see is dogma...varying degrees of dogma...but still dogma.

We have a few open-minded christian posters, however. I enjoy chatting with them. Mighty Queen is a good example.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
I do agree that each person's path needs to be somewhat unique. And as a Methodist, turned Catholic, turned Christian/Buddhist, turned Buddhist/atheist, I certainly agree that one must turn away from the men of the bible to find the path. I'm satisfied with the path I took, although I wish it had been shorter, and I wish I had had a map at the time.

X marks the spot.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 07-06-2018 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality