Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times

Advertisements

As we see every day on this area of the forum is, in increasing intensity, a huge and desperate push to promote atheism through the mocking of spirituality and religion. All one has to do is look at the majority of threads started. Instead of residing in the Atheism forum, they now cross over and spill into this area.

This isn't the "Non-Belief and Nihilism" forum.

As displayed by the perpetrators, there's more preaching and proselytizing by atheists here than any other groups.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
As we see every day on this area of the forum is, in increasing intensity, a huge and desperate push to promote atheism through the mocking of spirituality and religion. All one has to do is look at the majority of threads started. Instead of residing in the Atheism forum, they now cross over and spill into this area.

As displayed by the perpetrators, there's more preaching and proselytizing by atheists here than any other groups.
Agreed. It's quite sad. And it's the same usual group that consistently do it.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 PM

16,772 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:

The atheism and agnosticism section is for discussing atheism and agnosticism. This section is for discussing religion in general.

And we are fighting back against your huge and desperate push to promote religion. If you want to argue that people can resurrect fried fish, feel free. Just do not expect us to sit back while people who believe such beliefs try to tell us what is moral, and that 'god did it' should replace science in schools.

And remember, mockery is far less painful than passenger jets flown into skyscrapers.

But well done for standing up for your god, as he does seem incapable of doing this for himself.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
The atheism and agnosticism section is for discussing atheism and agnosticism. This section is for discussing religion in general.

And we are fighting back against your huge and desperate push to promote religion. If you want to argue that people can resurrect fried fish, feel free. Just do not expect us to sit back while people who believe such beliefs try to tell us what is moral, and that 'god did it' should replace science in schools.

And remember, mockery is far less painful than passenger jets flown into skyscrapers.

But well done for standing up for your god, as he does seem incapable of doing this for himself.
Weird how us discussing religion turns into some valiant effort on your part to save humanity from it. That really isn't supposed to be the point of this forum, but it's what happens. Remember, we're here to discuss, not prosletyze.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

We realize that you don't want to be questioned.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Religion almost universally exists to promise a better, and eternal, live after the one here on earth.

Most atheist are very comfortable with the thought that this is the one and only crack we get at any kind of life or consciousness, and as such, that we have a responsibility to life the best life we can. That means the best life for ourselves and as humanitarians, the best we can do interacting with others.

Many religious believers ignore that. They demonize other human beings, because of different religious beliefs, because of race, because of socio-economic realities, because of country of origin, or because of any other differentiation that one can think of. Many atheists, including myself, resist that differentiation and tribalism that occurs. It is harmful, and not anything that can advance the human condition.

We need to deal with the reality that after we die, we will be the know as much as before we were born. The only difference is that the atoms we used when we lived will be recycled as we become worm food, and others can live because we died. What is more beautiful than that?

Old 07-03-2018, 01:22 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Religion almost universally exists to promise a better, and eternal, live after the one here on earth.

Most atheists are very comfortable with the thought that this is the one and only crack we get at any kind of life or consciousness, and as such, that we have a responsibility to live the best life we can. That means the best life for ourselves and as humanitarians, the best we can do interacting with others.

Many religious believers ignore that. They demonize other human beings, because of different religious beliefs, because of race, because of socio-economic realities, because of country of origin, or because of any other differentiation that one can think of. Many atheists, including myself, resist that differentiation and tribalism that occurs. It is harmful, and not anything that can advance the human condition.

We need to deal with the reality that after we die, we will be the know as much as before we were born. The only difference is that the atoms we used when we lived will be recycled as we become worm food, and others can live because we died. What is more beautiful than that?
I cannot disagree with your suggested way of life. But I have trouble seeing the EM-like synaptic firings that comprise my consciousness ever becoming worm food.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:35 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Most atheist are very comfortable with the thought that this is the one and only crack we get at any kind of life or consciousness, and as such, that we have a responsibility to life the best life we can. That means the best life for ourselves and as humanitarians, the best we can do interacting with others.

Excellent point.

In my grand and excellent life, it has always been the religious people who have attacked atheists. It has been religious people who are taught to be intolerant of others. It has been a point of religions to be intolerant of each other. Growing up in a church we were indoctrinated <myself unsuccessfully> to see atheists and allmother followers of any belief as wrong. Never heard atheists getting together to attack Christiansvthough.
Most atheists I know are pretty much live and let live people. The few of us who are outspoken want others to know that choices for a better life exist. I have seen too many lives and families destroyed by religion. I deal with mentally ill people, and there is often some abuse stemming from religion in the mix somewhere.

Christians and muslims are their own worse enemies.

How often do you hear of aethists hijacking planes to crash ihto buildings? How about mass murder with aetheist leaders ordering followers to exterminate themselves, maybe through poison koolaid or because a comet is passing by? How about atheists slaughterihg each other due to arguments over how many times we should bow on a rug 5 times a day ?

It would seem on the surface that we the atheists have all the intellectuals and free thinkers while they have all the crazies and the sheep. On the surface, because there are good works being done by Muslims and Christans that do not make the daily mail. But in the end, the harm often outweighs the good.
My question then to any theist, who wants to debate me, is what are YOU doing to make the world a better place, to promote love, tolerance, harmony, freedom, human rights, peronal liberty, education.....what do u do to truly help others live more abundantly today, right now?
While theists may not like our beliefs, manynof us practice Humanism and Philanthropy, and endeavor to make the world around us a better place today. And unlike a few loud theists around, we actually succeed ! We are not perfeft but we are human. And we can enjoybit without the myths and anxieties of sin or afterlife, neither of which a theist can even begin to prove.

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 07-03-2018 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Using tablet

Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I cannot disagree with your suggested way of life. But I have trouble seeing the EM-like synaptic firings that comprise my consciousness ever becoming worm food.
Go back and reread your biophysiology book my friend. That would explain it.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:

There is a very easy way to drive non believers from this forum. All you have to do is destroy their arguments factually and logically. Warning: Unfounded facts and faulty logic is NOT going to get the job done. Neither is constantly taking a powder when you repeatedly find your backside being handed to you in a debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality