Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTheReckoner View Post
Does anyone know a psychological explanation for this?

I do not necessarily mean in church (it is easy to conclude why people feel the placebo there). I mean "born agains" who claim to feel it randomly for the first time when trying to convert.

Is it because they've filled their mind with the bible, and they are subconsciously expecting the overwhelming experience of being "filled with the spirit"?

Thanks
I've been told Jimmy Hoffa was a master of the mob mentality. People can be incited to believe a lot of nonsense. Beware of the emotional high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
what are people plugged into? what are they experiencing?

As you know, lmao@myself, my next question is ... "how does the universe work?". "what are they plugged into?" is it more valid to claim "something", "nothing", "nobody knows so i aint saying anything but they are always wrong."

far too many for "they are all delusional" as the answer. But claiming "they are all delusional" is as fast a look into that brain state as any description of the bible god.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:

I do not necessarily mean in church (it is easy to conclude why people feel the placebo there). I mean "born agains" who claim to feel it randomly for the first time when trying to convert.

Is it because they've filled their mind with the bible, and they are subconsciously expecting the overwhelming experience of being "filled with the spirit"?

Thanks
The experience of divine ecstasy (Holy Spirit experience) is not restricted to Christians. "The path to true ecstasy begins by earnestly seeking ecstasy, which requires the rebuking of one's ego. Attaining that ecstasy requires drowning of the ego. Without doubt, true ecstasy is a blessed elusive state. It is indeed closeness to God." "Although it is a fascinating state, those who give themselves to it entirely become unbalanced, for too much of anything can be self-destructive." "Yet in time the aspirant realizes that this wonderful ecstasy is ultimately a form of intoxication." Understanding this is the key to the whole experience of being "touched by God." Watch the video to the end, because it explains so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd41...2iO9g-_CTSvdkS...

Holy Spirit experiences among Christians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzHozBXQ5RQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Sf4V1NQVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMDCWnclzKs

Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Tired of the Nonsense:The experience of divine ecstasy (Holy Spirit experience)
is not restricted to Christians...
You can say that again!
2006 while flipping channels I stopped on a Christian station...I listened for a long while and
said to myself,"Oh...they seem to talk about about my experience and they beam like I do ...
hmm...they call it the 'Holy Spirit'...yes, that's what it is ...I just called it 'God'...but it's
the Spirit of God...ok...I can call it the Holy Spirit...cuz that's what it is..."
I flowed with the Christian lingo just fine.

But for decades I would have what I called Divine Visitations*...oh my...I could use words like glory, ecstatic, sacred, holy, unearthly, heavenly, stardust falling from another realm like a ray as clouds open
changing the barometric pressure in a room charging the air, transformative, transcendent...but mostly Grace ❤️ ....a Gift from
God Himself, filled with infusions of revealed knowledge...

I was not awash in any Biblical teachings. Not in crowds being swept up in any emotion.
The psychology of a Divine experience?
Or being slain in the Spirit?
Who knows! They probably came to me to save me from a life of drugs and debauchery...cuz why?
♬ ....I must've done something good. ♫

*I can not prove anything I ever say.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You can say that again!
2006 while flipping channels I stopped on a Christian station...I listened for a long while and
said to myself,"Oh...they seem to talk about about my experience and they beam like I do ...
hmm...they call it the 'Holy Spirit'...yes, that's what it is ...I just called it 'God'...but it's
the Spirit of God...ok...I can call it the Holy Spirit...cuz that's what it is..."
I flowed with the Christian lingo just fine.

But for decades I would have what I called Divine Visitations*...oh my...I could use words like glory, ecstatic, sacred, holy, unearthly, heavenly, stardust falling from another realm like a ray as clouds open
changing the barometric pressure in a room charging the air, transformative, transcendent...but mostly Grace ❤️ ....a Gift from
God Himself, filled with infusions of revealed knowledge...

I was not awash in any Biblical teachings. Not in crowds being swept up in any emotion.
The psychology of a Divine experience?
Or being slain in the Spirit?
Who knows! They probably came to me to save me from a life of drugs and debauchery...cuz why?
♬ ....I must've done something good. ♫

*I can not prove anything I ever say.
Could this be you? Because this girl clearly needs a cigarette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Sf4V1NQVg

Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:

Thanks
Psychology cannot be used to explain matters of faith. Before i became a Born Again believer- I could not understand the Bible in a spiritual way. Immediately after I gave my life to Jesus, the words jumped off the page at me, and I understood. Not everything, but much, much more than I had previously. Stop trying to use your mind to understand matters of the heart- it will NEVER work.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Psychology cannot be used to explain matters of faith. Before i became a Born Again believer- I could not understand the Bible in a spiritual way. Immediately after I gave my life to Jesus, the words jumped off the page at me, and I understood. Not everything, but much, much more than I had previously. Stop trying to use your mind to understand matters of the heart- it will NEVER work.
Yes, psychology explains why you feel that way.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, psychology explains why you feel that way.
Not entirely. There's a reason it seems like gibberish to you -- and that's because God has not granted you faith.

But don't confuse that with the holy laughter, charismaniacs that sit around and giggle as if drunk. That's nonsense. There is zero support for that in the Bible.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Not entirely. There's a reason it seems like gibberish to you -- and that's because God has not granted you faith.

But don't confuse that with the holy laughter, charismaniacs that sit around and giggle as if drunk. That's nonsense. There is zero support for that in the Bible.
Why, exactly, does God seem to have a distinct preference for individuals who are simple, naive, gullible, and are distinctly lacking in the ability to question and think for themselves?

Old 07-13-2018, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Tired of the Nonsense: I probably relate to this more...
but, the cigarette afterwards? Oh yeah.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality