Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Humanism is more like a way of living and philosophy. I wouldn't call it a religion.

And thinking logically is one of the most important things in humanism. If you looked it up, you'd know that.

I'm not a humanist by the way..
Well then tell me, how do you logically define good and evil?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Well then tell me, how do you logically define good and evil?
I don't like to use the word evil because it's linked to worshipping some wicked force or something. I don't believe in anything like that. I prefer moral and immoral.

It's subjective. What's right or wrong depends on the situation.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I don't like to use the word evil because it's linked to worshipping some wicked force or something. I don't believe in anything like that. I prefer moral and immoral.

It's subjective. What's right or wrong depends on the situation.
What is illogical about doing what is immoral?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
What is illogical about doing what is immoral?
Logic tells you that doing immoral things can cause harm. I don't see how it's that hard of a concept to grasp.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Logic tells you that doing immoral things can cause harm. I don't see how it's that hard of a concept to grasp.
What is illogical about causing harm?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
What is illogical about causing harm?
I know where this is going. You're not trying to hear my answer.

You hold the belief that "Morality can not exist without a creator.". It's pretty obvious now.

I'm not going to waste my time. If you think it requires belief in a creator to know that harming people is illogical, then I can honestly say that I am morally superior to you. If you need a book and fear of punishment after death to make you act straight, you are not moral. You are fearful.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I know where this is going. You're not trying to hear my answer.

You hold the belief that "Morality can not exist without a creator.". It's pretty obvious now.

I'm not going to waste my time. If you think it requires belief in a creator to know that harming people is illogical, then I can honestly say that I am morally superior to you. If you need a book and fear of punishment after death to make you act straight, you are not moral. You are fearful.
Sorry, try again...there is nothing logical in essence about not causing harm to something. There is only logic after you give a reason to not harm (e.g. to create a stable society). Once you give a reason such as this, you are no longer being purely logical, but being logic on the basis of desire (the will to create a stable society). Thus, your logic in being moral is nothing but desire and will--and, all morality is reduced to power and defined by power. Thus, I am justified by my own ability to do whatever I want.

I do not "act straight" because of fear of punishment after death; I act in accordance with God's will because I have love for him and therefore love for all of his creation especially human beings.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry, try again...there is nothing logical in essence about not causing harm to something. There is only logic after you give a reason to not harm (e.g. to create a stable society). Once you give a reason such as this, you are no longer being purely logical, but being logic on the basis of desire (the will to create a stable society). Thus, your logic in being moral is nothing but desire and will--and, all morality is reduced to power and defined by power. Thus, I am justified by my own ability to do whatever I want.

I do not "act straight" because of fear of punishment after death; I act in accordance with God's will because I have love for him and therefore love for all of his creation especially human beings.
Wow..just wow.

I don't need to even reply.

Your first and second sentences made me even more convinced that I am morally superior.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Wow..just wow.

I don't need to even reply.

Your first and second sentences made me even more convinced that I am morally superior.
So what is your logical reason for not causing harm...because you will to not cause harm? Apparently you do need to respond. And again, your beliefs are reduced to "religion." You seem to say, "I'm right because I say I'm right." When you don't respond.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So what is your logical reason for not causing harm...because you will to not cause harm? Apparently you do need to respond. And again, your beliefs are reduced to "religion."
You're trying to make this difficult when it really isn't.

Harm is harm. I don't want to harm people. I'm pretty sure that's not the answer you want, but I'm not going to waste my time because it's a simple concept. Whether or not you want to accept that is not up to me. You're trying to squeeze complexity out of something so basic and it's not even necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality