Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Why do you think the attributes assigned to the concept of God in the OT differ from the NT.

THE OT is a jealous wrathful God, the NT concept is God is love.

Who do you think originated these differing concepts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Can you explain what you're getting at?

So I guess that's a "no". Fair enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 07:46 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Another book!

Published on 07/28/2009

"AA" - Alcohol Anonymous? Why should I believe him? Maybe he was drunk while writing that book and satan assisted to try to really deceive the public with "what we want to hear".

Bad enough for me questioning the validity of the little imo that's left that bible book of its coherent sentences.

I'm trying to simplify my life and love of GOD, not congesting it with another 2009 book schmook.

Cant help ya then, good luck with it.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Since jonesg is obviously reading my posts but wants to skip over them to make a point, I'll post what I was going to say based on my own understanding of his/her posts, instead of what he/she was actually trying to say...if they were trying to say anything.

I believe I've said this before, but I think the NT contains truth shrouded in mistruth. It seems a good deal of the NT discusses where we are currently (in time). People have been saying we're in the "last days" for ages (at least where I'm from), but it seems like things are now happening at a rapid pace. I think the NT writers didn't want us to "see" our place in the books, so they wrote (and released) them in a way to make us believe the events happened long ago. Just keep your eyes and ears open, believers!

Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Why do you think the attributes assigned to the concept of God in the OT differ from the NT. I dunno...there are theories that it wasn't even the God of the NT they were encountering!!
OR with their primitive concepts and minds they interpreted an earthquake as the Mayans saw volcanos!
Instead of throwing virgins to their deaths....early man slit the throats of innocent little animals to appease some God in the Sky.

THE OT is a jealous wrathful God, the NT concept is God is love.
Who do you think originated these differing concepts?
Bold is me above.

Boy you got me, huh?
I have a double standard...God is leading me in my thoughts and I trust that.*
Yet, I think early Man were just dopes, pure and simple!!!

*"Perceive Me in every thought" (and I do!)---Bhagavad Gita....forget where, I usually know Ch and verse.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:34 AM

Emmet Fox:

You must not under any pretense
allow your mind to dwell on any thought that
is not positive, constructive, optimistic, kind.

I live by this! 'Under no pretense'.. the ego creates...no justification what-so-ever, period.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Emmet Fox: You must not under any pretense
I live by this! 'Under no pretense'.. the ego creates...no justification what-so-ever, period.
oh really??
Quote:
Bold is me above.
Boy you got me, huh?
*"Perceive Me in every thought" (and I do!)---Bhagavad Gita....forget where, I usually know Ch and verse.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Emmet Fox:

You must not under any pretense

That was me, ranting on about god for decades. I made as much sense as a barking dog.

Eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil applies, its not possible to hold good and evil thoughts, evil will push good aside because it doesn't look ugly. Its more often a very pretty thing.

The pretense for holding negative thoughts is that it feels justified, like nursing a grudge. Every now and then i used to take my grudges out and nurse them, to nurse means "help grow".

To destroy an enemy, forgive them.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I found this interesting link in my email this morning by Rabbi Packouz:

We also learn from the Torah that the Almighty has a personal and direct relationship with each of us. The Talmud, Chulin 7B, "A person doesn't hurt his finger unless it is decreed from above." In Psalm 37:23, "The steps of man are directed by the Almighty." We have free will, yet there is an interplay with the will of the Almighty. For instance, the Torah tells us that the Almighty hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he would not let the Jewish people go in spite of the impact of the plagues. Pharaoh did not want to let us go, but the Almighty's hardening his heart enabled Pharaoh to withstand the pain from the plagues and the cries of his people -- to strengthen Pharaoh's free will. The Almighty leads us in the direction we want to go.
Why should we care what this rabbi says?

Besides the fact that he seems to be presenting a very low view of God -- that he is simply our sidekick in the adventure of life.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I found this interesting link in my email this morning by Rabbi Packouz:

We also learn from the Torah that the Almighty has a personal and direct relationship with each of us. The Talmud, Chulin 7B, "A person doesn't hurt his finger unless it is decreed from above." In Psalm 37:23, "The steps of man are directed by the Almighty." We have free will, yet there is an interplay with the will of the Almighty. For instance, the Torah tells us that the Almighty hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he would not let the Jewish people go in spite of the impact of the plagues. Pharaoh did not want to let us go, but the Almighty's hardening his heart enabled Pharaoh to withstand the pain from the plagues and the cries of his people -- to strengthen Pharaoh's free will. The Almighty leads us in the direction we want to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
The Almighty leads us in the direction we want to go.
This must have come as quite a surprize to the six million men women and children that God led into the Nazi death camps.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Emmet Fox: You must not under any pretense

Tzaphkiel:
oh really??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Bold is me above.
Boy you got me, huh?
I know, that was just pure (((evil))) !!!
I left out my usual 'bless their little hearts'.. (and their small, barbaric brains back then)
they did their best, right?....the dopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality