Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 12:23 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Yes, the next part of your post certainly is.

No, actually, this is more than pure balony. It's a steaming pile of pure horse doo-doo.

You must not have read one of my recent posts when I outlined the GOP education platform for the state of Texas -- and in case you don't know, the rest of the country tends to follow Texas' lead when it comes to education -- for some mysterious reason.

Their platform goes something like this (and feel very free to google it if you think I'm full of it):

"We reject the teaching of HOT (Higher Order Thinking) Skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, comparing and contrasting, and pattern recognition, because we believe these skills pose a direct challenge to parental authority and traditionally held belief systems."

In other words, my erroneous friend, it's not the public schools that has taken America from #1 to #13 (I'm pretty sure we're actually worse than #13). It is conservative Christianity that has sucked our education system dry of anything meaningful.

I used to be in the field of education --- and received my credentials in secondary education: social studies.

And during meetings and grad school classes, I have watched more than a dozen teachers either break down into tears or thump the table in fury over how Republicans and Christianity are involved in a concerted effort to "dumb down America" -- and they've succeeded, hence why we have who we have in the Oval Office right now. For the first time in U.S. history, we are being led from the bottom up.

And no, this isn't some bullshyte conspiracy. Read the GOP platform again. What does it say?

Well, it says, for all intents and purposes, that they do not want pubic schools teaching kids HOW to think so Christianity and right-wingers can tell kids WHAT to think.

After all, what else is a "traditionally held belief system" other than religion? It sure as hell isn't maintaining a belief in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, now, is it.

They feel that knowing how to think poses a direct threat to their religion -- in other words, you have to be "dumbed down" in order for the brainwashing to take effect. No kidding, right?

THAT is what is causing our system to slip ever further down the rankings -- especially when kids are answering scientific questions with Bible stories .... ya know?

I mean, there are other reasons, too -- our culture's lack of respect for intelligence and academic achievement, for one thing. Here in the U.S., being an athlete is where it's at. If you want to have friends, get the girls, and score special perks from the teachers, be an athlete and NOT a brainiac. Strive for intellectual mediocrity but physical excellence.

Also, we allow non-educators to decide what each district's curriculum should be. There are NO qualifications to win a school board election -- which means our schools can be run by housewives, auto mechanics, accountants, and cashiers. People with no experience or credentials in the field of education. No other professional organization like the AMA or the Bar Association has rank amateurs running the show. Only in education.

Sure, there are lousy teachers. But one of the reasons why I decided not to go into teaching high school and went for a spot in academia was because I wanted no part of a system whereby teachers had ALL the responsibility but NO authority.

Teachers were getting blamed for everything - regardless of a student's home life, regardless of their mental illnesses, regardless of their lack of desire to learn, regardless of a whole host of things that are beyond a teacher's control. These days, parents want schools to not just teach their kids but babysit them, as well. I did not want to get a masters degree to be a professional babysitter.

I know this thread isn't about education, but when I see someone so egregiously misdirecting the blame, especially when religion is a HUGE part of the problem, I felt compelled to set the record straight.

Ban lobbyists...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 02:38 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Pure bolony. Emeritus is an honor given to the person most qualified to fill the shoes of the person who retired.
Darn. To paraphrase John (Bluto) Blutarsky..... "Oh no! 40 years in colleges, down the drain!"

FWIW, I was just trying to do you a favor, so you could quit using the term to mean something it does not, but never mind. I have no idea what your second sentence above means, but it doesn't describe any use of "emeritus" that I have ever seen (during those 40 years I wasted, working in academia).

As for your first sentence.... you misspelled baloney... or bologna, if you prefer.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 08-11-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 02:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Mandaeans are Gnostics
They dont believe in salvation or a Christ believing-themselves as already spiritually perfect
Therefore no need of salvation nor a savior
If you are a mandaean you could be from California

Old 08-11-2018, 03:21 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,468 times
Quote:
Pure liberal bolony. You can't prove/disprove someone's existence by what is written. You must rely on the honesty of the writers. At least 7 writers testify to the existence of Jesus. You must disqualify all of them to make your point,
You seem kinda angry, Omega? You may have skipped the part where I said I accept the historicity of Jesus.

But to your points, I'm not sure what liberal or conservative has to do with an accurate reading of history. I'm also not sure how else you go about establishing that, other than by what is written, when we are talking about events that happened 2000 years ago? We are lacking archaeological evidence, and obviously don't have recordings. We also don't have eyewitness accounts... the Gospels were written 40-100 years after Jesus died, by anonymous authors who were assigned the name of apostles during the editorial process. The Gospels were not written by someone who sat down to record events they observed, for the sake of "history".... they were written to support the political and theological needs of a growing movement (i.e., Christianity). We also know that some of the authors plagiarized the others, so there probably aren't a full 7. So, in fact, we could start to "disqualify" some of the writings, were we so inclined (but again, I am not). You (and all Christians) should be happy for he work of Ehrman and others, who support (at least some) biblical content through non-biblical sources and careful textual analysis.

And you misspelled "baloney" again.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 08-11-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

I have been waiting longer than you have for an evo fundy to prove one thing the TOE preaches. Would you like to be the first or admit you can't? He wont because HE CAN'T

Old 08-11-2018, 05:20 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Unbelievable. The substantiation of several things ToE teaches have been presented...and ignored.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Unbelievable. The substantiation of several things ToE teaches have been presented...and ignored.

Religiosity damages brains.

Old 08-11-2018, 06:56 PM

23,154 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
I guess ToE is the old Earth? Christians say that is what the bible teaches but it doesn't. I think to deny an old Earth is really something, I think to deny evolution took place is really something. Having said that, not everyone who studies the bible thinks the earth is 6000 years old, lol.

I have always said that the bible teaches evolution, and it is hard for me to understand why a lot of people don't understand this. From cover to cover it teaches of becoming a new creature and leaving the mentality of a beast behind. I would think that once the big bang was proven, it should prove God.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:55 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
He has been judged by those who are qualified. I rely on them. I have also read of his commentary on Hebrew wods. They are impressive and fit the context in which they were used, the details he give makes it evidence he is well qualified.
So you aren't judging him, but relying on other people and you judge them. I'm assuming, based on what even other say about them. Got it.

Quote:

I don't because you haven't told me. The only thing you have told me is that you are not qualified. Is that a fact or just false humility?
I believe I said that others are more qualified than I. Can you show me where I said I was not qualified? And how does this address what I asked you? Shifting this on to me ignores what I specifically asked, "Can you argue with any of the descriptions I have provided so far other than saying "Feinberg doesn't agree"?"

Quote:

I am tired of correcting you on this. I have told you several times. You just ignore what I tell you. He is more qualified than you are, Quit eating those sour grapes/.
You have yet to "correct me". I pointed out that you haven't presented any defense or discussion of his claim and you still haven't. What am I ignoring? That you blindly accept that he is an expert and therefore blindly accept everything he says? No content. Just claims. Sorry you are so tired -- evading and dancing can take a lot out of you. You can resolve this by simply and clearly addressing what I asked.

Quote:

You haven shown anything but your very biased, incorrect opinion of him.
Really? So all the Hebrew grammar that I have quoted, all the other translations and assessments of translations are all just opinion? Nothing anyone ever said is anything but MY opinion?
Quote:
Since you have never read any of his commentary of words, , you don' know if you very biased statement is true. It only reveals more of your biased opinion of Him
And since you refuse to provide any of the content that could correct me, you do nothing to help this situation. Just prove me wrong with his content -- how does he defend his decisions?

Quote:

"Are you really that dense? Experts in the subject have declared him and expert. Not only awarding him 2 advance degrees, honoring him by making him Dean Emeritus of a department. How many times do I have o tell you before you get the sour grapes out of you judgmental system?
Let's forget for a moment that you clearly don't know what an emeritus position is. Let's even ignore that receiving degrees from a school with its own theocratic agenda simply means that one has properly conformed to that agenda. And heck, let's ignore that you chase your tail by citing select 'experts' and ignore others because you get to decide who, for your purposes, qualifies. We're still left with you doing nothing but relying on his resume and not any of his work.

Quote:

Yes you are wonderful and probably a better student of Hebrew than any other person. If anyone doesn't believe me, they can just ask you.donl; belive me, just ask
You seem bitter and angry and unable to discuss actual content. You would rather try to assassinate character or hold invented conversations with phantoms. I hope that works out well for you.

Quote:

The real problem is that if you think it is as problem it is. When did you become omniscienet?
"omniscience" would mean "all knowing" which I have never claimed to be. I have simply shown errors in his translation which you would rather ignore. Tense shifts and erroneous word changes are a problem. You don't think they are because you begin your reading with the assumption that he is an expert and therefore could not have done anything wrong.

Quote:

No you don't have it . You have been infected with the arrogant omniscient disorder.
Again, you attack me and invent claims I never made instead of discussing content.
Quote:
Do you really not understand that translating Hebrew into English IS NOT, DOES NOT support any religion.
It is shocking that you think this. Translation almost always reflects particular senses held by a translator and if those sensibilities are driven by religion, the translation reflects religion. If you want to start with the belief that translations are not affected by religion then there is little left to say. You must wonder why the Judaica Press edition even exists, if the KJV already exists.
Quote:
To say what he does is parroting is rude, insulting, self serving, and just a snotty remark, which borders on bigotry.
That is your opinion. As such, it is not really useful.
Quote:
I am sure your comments are a credit to what Judaism teaches. That is more that pitiful.
You continue to want to attack me and my religion. That's not a very useful approach.

Quote:

The only thing you have done it post your opinions. You have not proved any of them. You still think you are omniscient.
You say this because you have ignored all the quotes, information, data and logic I have supported myself with. And you top it off with the imputation. Not a very successful approach.

Quote:

If you cant discuss the subject in a civil manner don't bother trying with me. I find no pleasure or purpose discussing anything with know-it-all bigots.
I am not the one who is imputing emotions and motives. I am the one who has presented facts and evidence and you have refused to discuss it. If you don't want to discuss, as seems to be the case, then keep on evading.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:18 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
It's his same old ploy. We present evidence, he ignores it and then claims we have no evidence. We are used to it my dear old prawn and we say, it is invaluable to our cause. We have established beyond reasonable doubt that he is completely ignorant of even the very basics of what he insists cannot be, otherwise he would have answered the challenge in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I guess ToE is the old Earth?
No mate, It is Theory of Evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality