Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:49 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think many of these discussion threads are on the wrong track.

Let's face it. Almost all of the "facts" of the bible aren't facts at all because -- for the most part -- they are not events or people that we can verify. Period.

What's more important, and what christians ought to be standing on are not questionable facts, but teachings. And teachings aren't discussed much here.

So I'll start:

The Beatitudes in Matthew during the Sermon on the Mount:

Blessed are the poor in spirit
Blessed are those who mourn
Blessed are the meek
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness
Blessed are the merciful
Blessed are the pure in heart
Blessed are the peacemakers
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake
Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

So I've taken the first part of each beatitude...not the results (since we cannot know that).

How do you exemplify each of them?
Anyone calling the spiritual teaching in the
bible facts doesnt know what facts are.
Truth and facts arent the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Anyone calling the spiritual teaching in the
bible facts doesnt know what facts are.
Truth and facts arent the same thing.
As I said in the OP, some of us are on the wrong track. Ahem.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
As I said in the OP, some of us are on the wrong track. Ahem.
what according to you is the "right track" ?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
what according to you is the "right track" ?
As I said in the OP: "What's more important, and what christians ought to be standing on are not questionable facts, but teachings. And teachings aren't discussed much here."

Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Quote:
As I said in the OP: "What's more important, and what christians ought to be standing on are not questionable facts, but teachings. And teachings aren't discussed much here."
The 'teachings' are not universally accepted amongst all Christian posters, i.e. the Christianity forum.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
you are an atheist who denies the existence of God telling people how to be in relationship with God
that's hilarious

Old 08-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
you are an atheist who denies the existence of God telling people how to be in relationship with God
that's hilarious
I don't think you have the slightest idea about what it means to be an atheist. In fact, I think your primary intent in this forum is to argue.

Whether there is a god or not doesn't mean that one can't find wisdom in the bible. Which was the very point I discussed in another thread -- cherry picking is a good thing because wisdom is where you find it. An open-minded person can find pieces of wisdom from various religions...and that doesn't depend at all on the existence of god. Are you so limited and intend on arguing that you can't see that the qualities in -- for example -- the Beatitudes (though not limited to them) would be good in some mix for all people. Can you not grasp that some principles in Buddhism are equally valid. Same for other religions. Heck, same for respected non-religious figures. Wisdom is where you find it, and wisdom does not only come from god.

If all you want to is argue, just stay away from me.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think you have the slightest idea about what it means to be an atheist. In fact, I think your primary intent in this forum is to argue.

Whether there is a god or not doesn't mean that one can't find wisdom in the bible. Which was the very point I discussed in another thread -- cherry picking is a good thing because wisdom is where you find it. An open-minded person can find pieces of wisdom from various religions...and that doesn't depend at all on the existence of god. Are you so limited and intend on arguing that you can't see that the qualities in -- for example -- the Beatitudes (though not limited to them) would be good in some mix for all people. Can you not grasp that some principles in Buddhism are equally valid. Same for other religions. Heck, same for respected non-religious figures. Wisdom is where you find it, and wisdom does not only come from god.

can you hear and feel the difference between "finding wisdom" and "telling crstns what they should be doing" ?

Quote:

Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
can you hear and feel the difference between "finding wisdom" and "telling crstns what they should be doing" ?
Since you're not contributing to discussing any particular teaching, I'm not going to respond to your off-topic post.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:

except...yes, all wisdom does come from God. back of everything is the Divine. the more we consciously contact and nurture our relationship with the Divine, the more we access that wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality