U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,561 posts, read 623,533 times

Advertisements

OP...nothing to talk about. Moderator cut: Removed Catholic-bashing statement

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-21-2018 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Exactly what I said NOT to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM

2,823 posts, read 497,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If you look in the Christianity and Atheist/Agnostic subforums, you will find threads related to this topic.

However, you are reminded that bashing a particular religion or specific denomination is not permitted.
If the discussion can continue about the specific matter of the topic as it relates to Religion and Spirituality, and it doesn't devolve into a Catholic-bashing free-for-all, the thread can remain open.
Thank you. The issue that needs and should be discussed is how those Catholics (most) who are in horror about the abuses can support the Church that has not turned over the perpetrators to the police. The repair needs to happen both from outside, but more importantly, from the inside.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM

369 posts, read 114,648 times
I'm not familiar with the requirements for a denomination to qualify as tax exempt, but I would think some of the language would contain revocation for the Catholic Church. Do it now.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 AM

26,244 posts, read 13,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copymutt View Post
I'm not familiar with the requirements for a denomination to qualify as tax exempt, but I would think some of the language would contain revocation for the Catholic Church. Do it now.
Maybe because the churches are Vatican property...

Old 08-21-2018, 10:13 AM

15,540 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Thank you. The issue that needs and should be discussed is how those Catholics (most) who are in horror about the abuses can support the Church that has not turned over the perpetrators to the police. The repair needs to happen both from outside, but more importantly, from the inside.
Now we could discuss how those mega-churches survive the scandals when their principle pastors and even founders get caught in "indiscretions."

Abuses and corrections within institutions happen all the time. Are you saying this on particular church is NOT addressing the problem? What can the administration of that denomination do differently? How do other such situations I mentioned get resolved?

Are we talking religion or politics?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:08 PM

18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
I think that where we're at in this is the situation we see in so many scandals -- that the cover-up is worse than the crime.

Some might jump on me for saying that, because this crime is heinous. But the problem with the cover-up is that it is a like the sly wink. It means that there has been a message perceived by some that they can go ahead with little chance of real retribution. I know of a case here in Colorado where the perpetrator was simply put in a "home for old priests" because of his mental problems. And for too long I think the governments involved felt they shouldn't get involved with church problems.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that where we're at in this is the situation we see in so many scandals -- that the cover-up is worse than the crime.

Some might jump on me for saying that, because this crime is heinous. But the problem with the cover-up is that it is a like the sly wink. It means that there has been a message perceived by some that they can go ahead with little chance of real retribution. I know of a case here in Colorado where the perpetrator was simply put in a "home for old priests" because of his mental problems. And for too long I think the governments involved felt they shouldn't get involved with church problems.
I lived in a town established by the Catholic church back in the 1800's. In fact, the original chapel is still preserved.

A home for retired priests was built besides the Bishop's 'palace'. A colleague of mine asked what was going up there, I told him, and his immediate response was, "Where are the bars?"

Yes, the reputation is that bad. And until the Catholic church turns those criminal priests, bishops and cardinals over to the police, it can not ever, ever regain any sort of positive reputation. Ever.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:32 PM

15,540 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
I lived in a town established by the Catholic church back in the 1800's. In fact, the original chapel is still preserved.

A home for retired priests was built besides the Bishop's 'palace'. A colleague of mine asked what was going up there, I told him, and his immediate response was, "Where are the bars?"

Yes, the reputation is that bad. And until the Catholic church turns those criminal priests, bishops and cardinals over to the police, it can not ever, ever regain any sort of positive reputation. Ever.
Once again we are verging on politics because this problem is a church state question that has had its problems historically (cf Tomas a'Becket) or benefit of clergy in which they were to be tried by church courts and not civil. This in not so much true insofar as governments are concerned anymore, but the attitude persists...
How much different is that than the special treatment and titles commonly used in almost all churches? I think it is a matter of degree, not of kind, and if you call your pastor "reverend" you share it.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Once again we are verging on politics because this problem is a church state question that has had its problems historically (cf Tomas a'Becket) or benefit of clergy in which they were to be tried by church courts and not civil. This in not so much true insofar as governments are concerned anymore, but the attitude persists...
How much different is that than the special treatment and titles commonly used in almost all churches? I think it is a matter of degree, not of kind, and if you call your pastor "reverend" you share it.
I don't see how this is a church/state issue.

The priests and prelates committed crimes. That is a state issue, and it doesn't matter that the criminals were members of that church.

I don't apply an honorific towards any religious leader when I interact with them. It most often by their first names, or none at all.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:52 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Quote:

The priests and prelates committed crimes. That is a state issue, and it doesn't matter that the criminals were members of that church.

Then this is not a Religion and spirituality topic.

Mensa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or