U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 05:03 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times

Advertisements

If the conversation is going to veer to the political, it will have to be closed. There is a thread in P&OC related to the topic.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:15 PM

10,273 posts, read 10,379,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Now we could discuss how those mega-churches survive the scandals when their principle pastors and even founders get caught in "indiscretions."

Abuses and corrections within institutions happen all the time. Are you saying this on particular church is NOT addressing the problem? What can the administration of that denomination do differently? How do other such situations I mentioned get resolved?

Are we talking religion or politics?
No, we're not talking politics. If the thread devolved into a discussion of the criminal justice system, we'll have to deal with that, but this is a separate issue from politics.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 PM

2,558 posts, read 1,697,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I lived in a town established by the Catholic church back in the 1800's. In fact, the original chapel is still preserved.

A home for retired priests was built besides the Bishop's 'palace'. A colleague of mine asked what was going up there, I told him, and his immediate response was, "Where are the bars?"

Yes, the reputation is that bad. And until the Catholic church turns those criminal priests, bishops and cardinals over to the police, it can not ever, ever regain any sort of positive reputation. Ever.
Well of course your colleague is going to say that, if they are either an atheist/ secular or a low church Evangelical Protestant that wants to generalize from everything they read in the news.
I have heard similar comments as well.
The whole thing is still in process, and those that were involved have been gradually weeded out, so we can all move on and move forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 10:16 PM

34,462 posts, read 8,876,928 times
I caught a piece recently about the Pope going to Eire. There was a quite a bit of damage -limitation chat. The shouting has died down but the damage is done.

I do not myself wish to keep shouting about it. If they have indeed quietly sorted at least the worst of the problem, well and good. But if it should turn out (as i strongly suspect) that it still a cover -up for what is still going on, then I trust to the final and long overdue reduction of the Catholic church to the influence in Ireland, at least, of a minor nut -cult.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 AM

13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I caught a piece recently about the Pope going to Eire. There was a quite a bit of damage -limitation chat. The shouting has died down but the damage is done. .
That 32 hour visit is estimated to be costing Ä36 million. What good could they have done with that money following their man-god's instruction to help the poor.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 541,094 times
Doesn't fit the medias agenda ATM. Moderator cut: This isn't the Politics forum.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-22-2018 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Political remark removed

Old 08-22-2018, 03:19 AM
bUU

11,699 posts, read 8,161,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Thank you. The issue that needs and should be discussed is how those Catholics (most) who are in horror about the abuses can support the Church that has not turned over the perpetrators to the police. The repair needs to happen both from outside, but more importantly, from the inside.
You're giving the true perpetrators a break by blaming their flock: That measure of blame rests squarely on the shoulders of those who shield abusers. This isn't a matter of politics. It's a matter of living up to our responsibility as a society to protect children. Excessive deference to religion has a corrupting impact, and has resulted in coddling of those who had knowingly put children at risk on their own personal judgement rather than deferring to society in such matters. Our society doesn't allow stoning heretics to death; it shouldn't allow any rationalizations for failing to inform the police about child abuse. There should be indictments; there should be criminal trials; there should be jail time.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:22 AM

2,728 posts, read 848,226 times
Moderator cut: Refer to Post No. 6

Pass the collection plates. Amen

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-22-2018 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Catholic bashing remark removed

Old 08-22-2018, 04:32 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
It's something called 'Faith' old chap. A wonderful thing is faith. With it you can vilify paedophiles whilst turning a blind eye to Father O'Malley's little indiscretions with the choirboys and it lets you believe that a magician changed water to wine and then lets you vilify those who drink, whilst ignoring the boozey breath of Father Jack O'Fondler. That's 'faith' for you.
Blinkered souls... they really are to think that this isnt really going on or its a small percentage.ITS NOT and it is and has been going on forever.. ditch your church and be honest. Tip of the iceberg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sts-fixed.html

Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM

6,178 posts, read 1,500,623 times
All the catholic churches in my area are extremely well liked and respected, even after all this news years ago about the abuse scandal came out.

Even with this parish having a couple pedophile priests back in the 1980s!! The school has a waiting list for students, so its still very popular and well liked.

I guess people just like to forget about it or turn a blind eye to the whole thing. My parents, neighbors, teachers, etc were guilty of the exact same thing back in the 80s, so its not surprising to see the same thing going on today, people do not change that much I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or