Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Actually, you are one of the few who thought otherwise.

When did you stop beating your wife? You evidently were duped by Arach Angle's lying about my participation in this thread - his craven attempt to try to deflect attention away from the thread's new direction and back to what he apparently wanted, a one dimensional soap box for a Catholic-bashing free-for-all.

After five months of beating the same horse, one would hope you'd tone down the tunnel-vision a little bit. I guess that's the difference between you and I; I can condemn the church and look at the broader issue at the same time.
lying? are you kidding me? where did I lie?

In addressing your "what is society's role in pedifiles?"

I started by looking tat the parts of a society. I asked you what ideology in society causes pedifles. what ideology allows pediflies to exist is regular neighborhoods is a logical start. You told me I am not looking at it properly.

that you would blatantly ignore a logical starting point? not only do you ignore it, you are actually avoiding it? stating that it s wrong to start there.

I am wondering what is your personal stake in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What we should do about it is urge the gov't to end Statue of Limitations on pedophilia, end being able to clear perv lawsuits in Bankruptcy Court, and charge Bishops under RICO whenever they move a perv to a new victim parish.

We should also urge the govt to end the Churches tax exempt status if they continue trying to undermine any of the changes above, via lobbying. $$$$ are what they are all about.
this sounds like a reasonable action in society to start addressing the things that society does. I am not so sure what BUU BUU is up too. why does he shout this type of thing down? It directly relates to society's role in it.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:15 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, that's what I thought, just checking. yeah, some of them left, some of them are not practicing any more, some have address the church in their way.

they are disgusted at how america handles pedifiles.
1. The catholic "organization" is not immune to the actions of its "flock". If the flock started taking action against the organization, things would change. But instead, the flock pretty much turns a blind eye, other than expressing faux indignation.

2. How we "handle" people with weird psychological issues of many types is disgusting.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. The catholic "organization" is not immune to the actions of its "flock". If the flock started taking action against the organization, things would change. But instead, the flock pretty much turns a blind eye, other than expressing faux indignation.

2. How we "handle" people with weird psychological issues of many types is disgusting.
this is not totally true. The numbers leaving isn't a blind eye. The actions within the church (the flock) isn't a blind eye. yeah, they need to do more, but "they are doing nothing" just isn't true. But then again, I am caught in the middle. I see pedifiles turned lose all around me. The RCC is the least of my, and most others, problem.

the real problem are the people, with eyes wide open, that put these people all around us. And some of those people are hiding in that RCC organization. the rcc needs to be addressed, I like Bob's and nor's approach myself.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
this is not totally true. The numbers leaving isn't a blind eye. The actions within the church (the flock) isn't a blind eye. yeah, they need to do more, but "they are doing nothing" just isn't true. But then again, I am caught in the middle. I see pedifiles turned lose all around me. The RCC is the least of my, and most others, problem.

the real problem are the people, with eyes wide open, that put these people all around us. And some of those people are hiding in that RCC organization. the rcc needs to be addressed, I like Bob's and nor's approach myself.
Just leaving is not being an advocate for change.

I have friends who are VERY catholic...well, the husband is VERY catholic, the wife more average. We've talked about the scandal, and his response is, "Well, what can I do?" This is a man who actively goes out every four years (and sometimes in between) and works political campaigns. But when it's his church he can claim to be disgusted while doing nothing.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just leaving is not being an advocate for change.

I have friends who are VERY catholic...well, the husband is VERY catholic, the wife more average. We've talked about the scandal, and his response is, "Well, what can I do?" This is a man who actively goes out every four years (and sometimes in between) and works political campaigns. But when it's his church he can claim to be disgusted while doing nothing.
leaving can be one component in advocating for change.

I think, maybe, he is doing what he can. getting people in place that will change the rules so that a certain ideology can't put these people in the general population is a great start. I don't know him, but does he work and have kids? Give him some credit.

i personally, am writing in bod and nord.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
leaving can be one component in advocating for change.

I think, maybe, he is doing what he can. getting people in place that will change the rules so that a certain ideology can't put these people in the general population is a great start. I don't know him, but does he work and have kids? Give him some credit.

i personally, am writing in bod and nord.
Give him credit for doing what? He's done nada re the scandal in his church.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:19 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Most thinking individuals can tell the difference between the actions of a group vs the individual.
That's non-sequitur. Something that characterizes that religion is how the religion is equated with the church. There is a term for Catholics who don't believe in things like the infallibility of the Pope and such: Former Catholics.

Quote:
Do you have a problem with expecting that from the Catholic organization?
No, no problem whatsoever. Again, you evidently were duped into assuming the wrong things about my perspectives by Arach Angle's lying about my participation in this five month old thread - his craven attempt to try to deflect attention away from the thread's new direction and back to what he apparently wanted, a one dimensional soap box for a Catholic-bashing free-for-all.

Quote:
If so, why? I actually want you to respond to this.
And I want you to admit that you were duped and thereby misled into making a comprehensively wrong assumption about my perspective with regard to the church.

Quote:
What broader issue?
And I want you to pay attention to what I'm writing, rather than just posting random things that don't demonstrate a full understanding of the comments to which you are replying.

Quote:
And in our exchange, I see you not condemning the church at all, but defending it.
That's a lie. I haven't defended the church at all. Again, you evidently were duped into assuming that by Arach Angle's lying about my participation in this thread. Now you've repeated it. You owe me an apology.

Have you read all five months of posts that I have posted to this thread? If not, then you have no clue what I have or have not said about the church.

Quote:
If you were condemning it, your perspectives should not differ significantly from mine.
That is also not true. My perspective is that after discussing the matter for five months it is appropriate to broaden the scope of what is being discussed to go beyond just the church, to focus on society as a whole. You don't have to agree with that. So yes we can have identical perspectives regarding the church and still our perspectives can differ significantly.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:22 PM
bUU

Quote:
lying?
When you misrepresent what someone has said, you are lying.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:24 PM
bUU

Quote:
this sounds like a reasonable action in society to start addressing the things that society does. I am not so sure what BUU BUU is up too. why does he shout this type of thing down?
I haven't shouted it down. I haven't said one word in opposition to the suggestion. You are lying again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality