U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM

11,570 posts, read 4,483,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I haven't shouted it down. I haven't said one word in opposition to the suggestion. You are lying again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's silly. There is literally nothing more this thread can offer in that regard, while there are still insights related to the broader and deeper societal issue that this thread can bring to light.

Wrong.
that's just one where you "shouted them down". Follow the thread around those exchanges for more examples. You yourself even went back and edited some of your over the top was it? comments. please rethink the lying comment.

or at least don't leave the post for me to copy showing why I made the claim when you make false claims. and there are multiple post.

BUUT lets get back to society.

You want to look at society's role.

1) start looking at the components in society that deal directly with what you are studying.

2) here, we are looking at pedifiles. so lets look at the segment of the population that provide pedifiles a positive feedback loop. ie: those practices/habits that help pedifiles be "life". so that a creation point may be seen.

3) ahh, speaking of positive feedback loops, what segments of the society provide situations where there is a positive feedback loop? can this segment be the segment, or component of, society creating peddiez?

4) well what do you know ... what ideology thinks its ok to place pedifiles in neighborhood all over the place? what a great place to start.

after that we can look at negative feedback loops and see if they play a role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 AM

20,185 posts, read 9,523,366 times
Here's some better news on the topic:

https://www.apnews.com/c0478d2d1f094b04b6d1717e2c8a2698

Over 1,000 priests identified in child-molesting, and more than 20 governmental investigations into it since the Pennsylvania scandal.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM

2,788 posts, read 3,084,841 times
I think our targeting is too narrow. We need to widen our view and to address the problem as it is in our society in general. There are many people in our society who are pedos not just religious people and we are generally not doing enough to weed these people out. The media is not doing its job of investigating and exposing them, and that may be because there are careers and friendships at stake. Do we really want to keep up friendships with people who like to do that?

There is a documentary called Conspiracy of Silence which makes some good points.

It appears as if there are people in high places, local and national government officials, who also like to abuse kids and parents who suspect or know about it are condoning the behaviour. What it needs is for these people who are not actually perpetrators to step up and report the perpetrators. Yet, when they do, no-one will listen. As far back as 1978 Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pestols mentioned Jimmy Saville and was ignored and banned by the BBC.

If it was happening back then in 1978, it sure as hell is happening now to a much larger extent.

However, this could easily become rather like the McCarthy witch hunt for Communists. Everyone was reported, accused and then targeted and many innocent people were caught in the net along with the "guilty" ones. Perhaps it is just the way society is - the pendulum has to swing far over one way and then people recognise it as having to stop. The pendulum of public opinion then swings the other way too far, but eventually a middle ground is achieved where the problem is addressed effectively.

Last edited by ocpaul20; 01-07-2019 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 09:54 PM

20,185 posts, read 9,523,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think our targeting is too narrow. We need to widen our view and to address the problem as it is in our society in general. There are many people in our society who are pedos not just religious people and we are generally not doing enough to weed these people out. The media is not doing its job of investigating and exposing them, and that may be because there are careers and friendships at stake. Do we really want to keep up friendships with people who like to do that?

There is a documentary called Conspiracy of Silence which makes some good points.

It appears as if there are people in high places, local and national government officials, who also like to abuse kids and parents who suspect or know about it are condoning the behaviour. What it needs is for these people who are not actually perpetrators to step up and report the perpetrators. Yet, when they do, no-one will listen. As far back as 1978 Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pestols mentioned Jimmy Saville and was ignored and banned by the BBC.

Of it was happening back then in 1978, it sure as hell is happening now to a much larger extent.

However, this could easily become rather like the McCarthy witch hunt for Communists. Everyone was reported, accused and then targeted and many innocent people were caught in the net along with the "guilty" ones. Perhaps it is just the way society is - the pendulum has to swing far over one way and then people recognise it as having to stop. The pendulum of public opinion then swings the other way too far, but eventually a middle ground is achieved where the problem is addressed effectively.
The "eventual" middle ground is little good to people whose lives have been destroyed.

You want a witch hunt.

And by the way, it's not the media's job to handle this. It's law enforcement's job.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:59 PM

2,788 posts, read 3,084,841 times
Of course it's the law enforcements job I agree, but the media should report it and bring it to the publics awareness more. Thats what I meant. However, there is probably no area of life which is unaffected and law enforcement is probably a subgroup which reflects society in general. That suggests there will be pedos in that organisation too. I dont see why law enforcement should be any different from any other sub group of society.

The witch hunt does not solve the problem, it only satisfies the animal, agressive revenge instinct. Witch hunts are pure mob rule and can get out of hand very quickly.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 2,308,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
http://churchandstate.org.uk/2015/09...abuse-victims/

Why again are we paying their property taxes for them?

Who says that "no one is talking about the Catholic sex scandal" (as you've stated it in your thread title)? I've seen it brought up in the media and on the web at-large at considerable length for decades now (as it should be talked about and exposed). How did you get the idea that it isn't being talked about? How would the world population at-large be so aware of it if, as you stated, it isn't being talked about?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:33 AM

53,134 posts, read 52,249,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Who says that "no one is talking about the Catholic sex scandal" (as you've stated it in your thread title)? I've seen it brought up in the media and on the web at-large at considerable length for decades now (as it should be talked about and exposed). How did you get the idea that it isn't being talked about? How would the world population at-large be so aware of it if, as you stated, it isn't being talked about?
Pretty sure the OP meant "on the City-Data Religion & Spirituality forum". See Post Nos. 9 and 36.

Always a good idea to read into a thread a bit before posting based on an OP or thread title, particularly when you see that the thread was started four months ago and already runs more than thirty pages.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM

2,348 posts, read 2,308,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Pretty sure the OP meant "on the City-Data Religion & Spirituality forum". See Post Nos. 9 and 36.

Always a good idea to read into a thread a bit before posting based on an OP or thread title, particularly when you see that the thread was started four months ago and already runs more than thirty pages.

Perhaps I somewhat misinterpreted the gist of the OP's point. So the OP means that it isn't being talked about (or enough so) specifically in C-D's "Religion and Spiritualilty" forum at-large or in C-D's "Christianity" sub-forum in particular? But the OP didn't specify this precisely, so one can only interpret based on the words used (or not used) by the OP.

Old Today, 10:09 AM

53,134 posts, read 52,249,283 times
https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ign=storylines

Now New Jersey is releasing the names.

I knew one of those priests when I was a teenager. Although I was not Catholic, we attended Friday night dances at the Catholic church's parish hall in town. The priest was in charge of the youth activities.

One of my classmates was one of his victims, and he flew up from his current home in Texas to testify against him as recently as a couple of years ago.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...ign=storylines

Old Today, 07:10 PM

7,850 posts, read 2,935,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they are disgusted at how america handles pedifiles.
Like, covering it up, trying to bury it, and trying to silence those who speak out against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or