U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 AM

18,908 posts, read 8,883,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I think that one of the main things responsible for this problem is the Church's prohibition of priest being able to marry and the problem they have with homosexuality. These guy, in my opinion, are not all outright paedophiles, probably very few are but sexual activity is something we all have to indulge in and if we can't get things through normal channels, we are force to go down other roads.

An example of this is instances of homosexual acts in prisons. In cases of very long term imprisonment, we find this practice amongst men who are, under normal circumstances, perfectly normal heterosexuals.

Lifting the banning of priests marrying and of course, accepting that homosexuality is not a 'sin', would solve much of the problem
I once knew a man who had been a friar (yup, not a priest...but a friar), and he had lived in the friary for several years. He told me that gay activity in the friary was not rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:25 AM

13,867 posts, read 9,656,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I once knew a man who had been a friar (yup, not a priest...but a friar), and he had lived in the friary for several years. He told me that gay activity in the friary was not rare.
I don't doubt it. No doubt such people wag their fingers at others regarding homosexuality.

Old 08-23-2018, 04:33 AM
bUU

11,688 posts, read 8,168,245 times
Quote:
I think that one of the main things responsible for this problem is the Church's prohibition of priest being able to marry and the problem they have with homosexuality.
Nonsense. What is responsible for the problem is the environment that the church has cultivated with its reticence to believe accusations, its refusal to cooperate with society by allowing society to adjudicate and punish civil crimes, and its deliberate obstruction of justice in that regard.

Quote:
... sexual activity is something we all have to indulge in and if we can't get things through normal channels, we are force to go down other roads.
That sounds like the whining of teenage boys who claimed that they couldn't resist committing a sexual assault because they were driven crazy by the sight of a young woman's knees. Get a grip. Mature adults can control themselves enough to refrain from sexual assault.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:38 AM

34,523 posts, read 8,904,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Nonsense. What is responsible for the problem is the environment that the church has cultivated with its reticence to believe accusations, its refusal to cooperate with society by allowing society to adjudicate and punish civil crimes, and its deliberate obstruction of justice in that regard.

That sounds like the whining of teenage boys who claimed that they couldn't resist committing a sexual assault because they were driven crazy by the sight of a young woman's knees. Get a grip. Mature adults can control themselves enough to refrain from sexual assault.
Yes, that's fair, but it doesn't really help.

I don't hold with self - denial. Self - control yes. But giving up food, or money or sex because someone told you that this is what a god wants is making a fool of themselves.

But that's their choice. If they choose to give up their sexuality for some supposed religious benefit, fine. And if they join a community of other self denialists so they won't be tempted, ok. But if we then find that they cannot really give it up and are trying to indulge their sexual drives in secret, something has gone wrong. If they try to do it by using their undeserved admiration for their self -denial to prey on victims, this is criminal.
And if the organisation covers it up, the organisation is an accessory to the crime.

The business of blaming the object of the crime For the crime, is obviously flawed at the base. On the other hand, as they tell the tourist, don't swan around, dripping with gold and your wallet left on the bar counter while you go to powder your nose. You can be simply unreasonable by saying that you should be able to go to the supermart in a see -through nightie and everybody should mind their own business. I agree in the ideal, but we do not live in a bubble, and it is not an ideal world. We should work towards it, which is why blaming the woman for the uncontrollable lusts of the man is wrong.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-23-2018 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 06:13 AM

14,516 posts, read 11,501,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I have no idea what my colleague's religious views are or were. This happened 10 years ago.

Regardless, the Catholic church is not better than a criminal organization, and those parishioners who still support it are complicit.

How can it start turning that around? First, turn over every priest, every bishop, every cardinal, and every retired member of the clergy who the Catholic church knew about over to the police for investigation.

Ever. Single. One. Of. Them.

That would be a start. Then show what proactive steps it has taken to ensure none of this can ever happen again.

If you are Catholic, there is nothing stopping you from practicing your faith at home. You don't need a church to go to. And yes, I understand that means you won't be taking communion for awhile.
You tell them... I just dont know how some are still into the church at all with whats gone on.. its criminal and shouldnt be hidden away by the Catholic church the way it has been for a very long time...Just how many were sent away to other towns and churches as if that would cure them from touching children, they should all have been behind bars. Imagine being brought up Catholic and trusting your priest and then something filthy happens, who can you run to and tell. no one.. the parents would probably be horrified and take it out on the child. teachers at the Catholic schools wouldnt listen either as all brainwashed and would rather believe a priest or nun than a child.. they should all be ashamed.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:22 AM

34,523 posts, read 8,904,414 times
What can you do with people? I cannot see how anyone can take the Vatican as anything other than a parasitic and corrupt cancer on society. The 'good that they do' is no more than a corrupt business doing a bit of charity to improve its' image.

And yet MILLIONS still take this scam seriously. But then thousands take media evangelists seriously too.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-23-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 06:29 AM

14,516 posts, read 11,501,142 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFDqSuUOLR8

Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 AM

51,299 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
I don't doubt it. No doubt such people wag their fingers at others regarding homosexuality.
One of my fellow parishioners is a gay man who loved the Catholic Church and was heartbroken at being rejected by it when he came out. He knew that the priest who first refused him communion was also gay and had a secret partner for more than 30 years. He told me that this priest subsequently died and that the name of his "lifelong friend and companion" was in the obituary.

He still mourns the rejection by the Catholic Church, but he moved on, and late in life found someone to love, and they were married in my church two or three years ago.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:09 AM

51,299 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Why all the censorship warnings. No politics- no singling out of a particular religion? If Islamic Terrorists blew up a building - could we not discuss which religion it is?
Of course you could, but you would not be permitted to make blanket statements that "All Muslims are evil" or some such. See the difference? Discuss specifics related to the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Can't a topic incur more than one subject? Wasn't politics involved in church cover-ups? Wasn't it politics on how churches got property tax exemptions(. ie the legiislature and constitutional convention for each state?
A simple search of the word "tax" in thread titles on the R&S forum turns up a page full of threads on the subject of churches and property tax. Feel free to revive one of them or start another if you want to discuss that subject, or participate in the current one on P&OC. The topic of this thread is the Catholic sex scandal.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:10 AM

13,867 posts, read 9,656,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of my fellow parishioners is a gay man who loved the Catholic Church and was heartbroken at being rejected by it when he came out. He knew that the priest who first refused him communion was also gay and had a secret partner for more than 30 years. He told me that this priest subsequently died and that the name of his "lifelong friend and companion" was in the obituary.

He still mourns the rejection by the Catholic Church, but he moved on, and late in life found someone to love, and they were married in my church two or three years ago.
Good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or