Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 04:11 AM
SFX

1,634 posts, read 889,305 times

Advertisements

In all religions there is a playbook. And they are all a bunch of pedophiles and liars. Except maybe Buddhist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I don't thing they are all pedophiles by any stretch but I do agree they all have their ways of protecting the abusers.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:09 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
I'm Catholic and this has been very troubling to me. When all this first broke year ago, they (the higher powers in the Church) said they were going to clean it all up. I believed it and put my faith back in the Church and continued with it. Then it happened again and again. And by it, I don't necessarily mean the abuse (which is bad enough) I mean the coverups, the lies, the moving people around, the corruption.

I am still Catholic and I still "go" to church. With my beliefs it would be impossible for me to suddenly join another church and have other beliefs. And part of the Catholic belief is you need to go to church (Mass) every Sunday and on Holy Days. So I go. But I am not registered anymore with a parish/diocese anymore and I no longer give money to the Church. The basket goes around and I put nothing in it. The money I used to give to the Church, I now give to charities that help the poor (including one that helps elderly homeless). I don't want my money going to pay settlements to hush things up again.

Maybe, years from now, if they clean all this up, expose ALL of the coverups and ALL of the abuse and make some real reforms, I will officially re-join and give to the Church again. For now, I am just a Ronin Catholic.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:22 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I'm Catholic and this has been very troubling to me. When all this first broke year ago, they (the higher powers in the Church) said they were going to clean it all up. I believed it and put my faith back in the Church and continued with it. Then it happened again and again. And by it, I don't necessarily mean the abuse (which is bad enough) I mean the coverups, the lies, the moving people around, the corruption.
This is still a problem in Germany, we keep hearing of new problems regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Maybe, years from now, if they clean all this up, expose ALL of the coverups and ALL of the abuse and make some real reforms, I will officially re-join and give to the Church again. For now, I am just a Ronin Catholic.
Ronin Catholic, I like that.

Old 09-27-2018, 03:52 PM

Catholic Charities is separate, isn't it? They do a lot of good. I like that org.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Catholic Charities is separate, isn't it? They do a lot of good. I like that org.
As much as I am disgusted with the Catholic church's coverup, I agree, that Catholic Charities does good. I'm an atheist in case you were not aware, one who argued with a priest in high school that either Mary committed adultery, or Jesus was a bastard.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:39 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
As much as I am disgusted with the Catholic church's coverup, I agree, that Catholic Charities does good. ...
Years ago I did some volunteer work with Catholic Charities in Northern Virginia, who were serving refugees from Southeast Asia. What I respected about them was that -- at least and then -- there was no religious component to the assistance they gave the refugees. Even today, long after I left the church, there are occasions when I will still donate to Catholic Charities.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 AM

178 posts, read 230,255 times
Its disgusting that i cannot find a single case of a Catholic Priest in the U.S. being convicted and doing prison/ jail time. They all should be held accountable and placed in prison like any other human being.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Its disgusting that i cannot find a single case of a Catholic Priest in the U.S. being convicted and doing prison/ jail time. They all should be held accountable and placed in prison like any other human being.
The rare post on CD everyone can agree with. Actually I am not sure that one has never been jailed, but the second part of your post, yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality