Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I did. He just said "Man you are so screwed -up" and charged me $420.
Maybe we can get somebody to drill holes in your skull to release the evil spirits.

https://www.zmescience.com/other/fea...-skulls-holes/

If nothing else, you'll have a second life as a funky umbrella stand by someone's front door.

On-topic: This is an example of how we moderate believers operate. We do not really think that drilling holes in skulls releases evil spirits; on the other hand, if someone else has already done it, one might as well find a use for the product of the activity.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe we can get somebody to drill holes in your skull to release the evil spirits.

And then we can go bowling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:22 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
I did. He just said "Man you are so screwed -up" and charged me $420.
You was robbed!! I could have told you that for half the price.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:56 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
and then we can go bowling!
hahahaha

Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

https://www.zmescience.com/other/fea...-skulls-holes/

If nothing else, you'll have a second life as a funky umbrella stand by someone's front door.

On-topic: This is an example of how we moderate believers operate. We do not really think that drilling holes in skulls releases evil spirits; on the other hand, if someone else has already done it, one might as well find a use for the product of the activity.
Nobody is drilling holes in MY skull to release the evil spirits. I worked hard to get those evil spirits and nobody is going to take them away from me.

As to my next life, I am resolved to come back as a slop -bucket in a jail -cell especially reserved for Money grubbing televangelists and Fake-healers.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM

179 posts, read 80,645 times
Quote:
Which is why we (hellbound satanspawn) say that a secularist society is in everyone's interests - other than those religious groups who want to dominate society (make no mistake about this, the only ones who are going to benefit from defeating new atheism, rolling back irreligion and abolishing separation of church and sate are those who want to tell you what to believe, by Law). A secular-humanist society would allow ALL religious thought to exist and None to dominate the others. The 'which theological view shall we have ?)' question simply wouldn't arise.

Actually it was some Evul Baptist fundies who came up with the 'freedom of religion' thing; it was one of their founding platforms. humanism is also a 'religious' invention. Since a 'secular-humanist society' isn't going to 'cure' greed, envy, poverty, jealousy, or other human foibles, it will fare no better than Christianity already has in moderating behavior. It's just a cult, like any other belief system. No need to keep re-inventing the wheel when one already has the most highly evolved and inclusive one at hand.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You was robbed!! I could have told you that for half the price.
My big sis could have told me that for free.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OberonKing View Post
Actually it was some Evul Baptist fundies who came up with the 'freedom of religion' thing; it was one of their founding platforms. humanism is also a 'religious' invention. Since a 'secular-humanist society' isn't going to 'cure' greed, envy, poverty, jealousy, or other human foibles, it will fare no better than Christianity already has in moderating behavior. It's just a cult, like any other belief system. No need to keep re-inventing the wheel when one already has the most highly evolved and inclusive one at hand.
Is that a fact? It's an example of a phrase or slogan that can work in various ways. Of course atheism escapes by simply saying 'No, they are mistaken in saying that we are just another false religion'. We are really advocating the society now except in a few places where religious law has replaced secular. The 'freedom of religion' means that all can exist but none can dominate. The slogan is a killer for them. But the hard part is getting the message over to a world sold the evil Atheist story for 2,000 years. Never with a voice of our own -until the last 40 -odd years. since and really only a Loud voice over the that three or four.

And more - the way we come across in places like this. If being harshly critical and mocking about religion harms our image, the way the Christian side, frankly comes across is much, much worse. That will be noticed.

I'll tell you what shocks me most and did as soon as I began debate - the dishonesty. They really don;t seem to care whether what they say is true or not so long as they can win. The truth doesn't seem to matter - just being able to end up pretending they won, or at least refusing to admit they lost.

The ignorance isn't too impressive either. Sometimes they don't seem to know their own Bible, though often a lot of them do - in a dogmatically limited way
And the hostile attitude towards science, while often using it as an authority for their views is not very edifying. I think they come across looking worse than we baby -eating Bahomet -worshippers do.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Once again, we have an example of someone being just ... colossally, monumentally wrong.

I mean, this is SO wrong that it's starting to come back around to being right ... somehow.

Like those little dogs that are so ugly they're ... somehow cute.

No one is saying a secular-humanist society would cure all of humanity's foibles so thanks for that strawman. I'll be sure to use it the next time a remake of Wizard of Oz has an audition call for the part of the Scarecrow.

I honestly don't even feel like listing all the reasons why I think you're wrong but I thought I would just say you are.

*shrug* Winning a debate by simply saying things without proof or examples seems to work for the believers, right?

And it's not a cult. Do you even understand what the requirements for something to be a cult actually are? Things like -- having a charismatic leader, its members are isolated from the rest of the world, its members are usually dependent on the cult for basic survival, they are brainwashed into the doctrines and dogmas of the cult ... and four or five or six more requirements.

Gee right, because everywhere you look there are secular-humanist compounds and communes as well as secular-humanist anti-government militias and secular-humanist doomsday survival groups, right? TONS of those around. And how many secular-humanist cults have you heard about lately - or ever - that all committed suicide for some stupid culty reason or engaged in an act of terrorism for some equally stupid culty reason?

Riiiiggght, because it's not a cult.

See what I mean about being wrong?

And that was just one sentence I plucked out at random. Otherwise I'd have to write another one of my long posts thoroughly debunking what you said -- but damn, it's 2am here and I just don't feel like it.

Not worth my time since you won't listen anyway.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:58 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Actually it was some Evul Baptist fundies who came up with the 'freedom of religion' thing; it was one of their founding platforms.
Precisely. They knew religious persecution was bad.

Quote:
humanism is also a 'religious' invention.
So was evolution, Bayes theorem, the big Bang, usw. But they were not invented because of those religious beliefs.

Quote:
Since a 'secular-humanist society' isn't going to 'cure' greed, envy, poverty, jealousy, or other human foibles, it will fare no better than Christianity already has in moderating behavior.
But think of the benefits it should provide that Christianity can not.

Quote:
It's just a cult, like any other belief system.
Cults do not have different belief systems. You may need to learn what a cult is.

Quote:
No need to keep re-inventing the wheel when one already has the most highly evolved and inclusive one at hand.
We are not reinventing the wheel. We are just making sure ours do not have corners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality