Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

The "Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints" worships Jesus Christ as the focal point of that religion. That makes them Christians by definition.

Putting on moderator hat:

Anyone who worships Jesus Christ as their religion is recognized as a Christian in this forum. That's not up for debate.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:48 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't discriminate against Mormons or Muslims. But if Muslims said they were Christian I would have to say yeah no.

If I tried to say I was Muslim but I don't believe in Muhammad that would not work, would it? It's the same for Mormons. You can't place first your prophets that come after Jesus above Jesus and claim you are Christian.

The Bible clearly says that anyone who claims to be a prophet after Jesus is false. Trying to believe in the Bible and the BOM at the same time is an exercise in cognitive dissonance.

Mormons consider themselves superior. IDK why they even want to be called Christians, except to 'fit in' and be accepted.
Let's put it this way...we can summarize your viewpoint as it's my way or the highway.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
OK they are Christians who follow a book and a living prophet that is in direct contradiction with the Bible which states Jesus was the one and only true prophet, so for me personally, that is problematic. Whatever works for them is obviously fine. It doesn't work for me.

Just like following Muhammad instead of Jesus is perfectly fine for Muslims, but it doesn't work for me.

I don't say either is wrong, just different. My personal belief is that no one can say any belief is RIGHT or WRONG. We don't know. Most of us believe what we were taught to growing up.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's put it this way...we can summarize your viewpoint as it's my way or the highway.
That is so far off the mark it's not even funny. I say the exact opposite. Most religions (all?) assert their way is the only way and that isn't logical to me.

If I believed that about Christianity I'd have to believe someone born in Saudi Arabia is going to hell essentially for being born in a place that teaches Islam. The God I believe in is not illogical.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
That is so far off the mark it's not even funny. I say the exact opposite. Most religions (all?) assert their way is the only way and that isn't logical to me.

If I believed that about Christianity I'd have to believe someone born in Saudi Arabia is going to hell essentially for being born in a place that teaches Islam. The God I believe in is not illogical.
That is an admirable view to have, and you are the sort of Christian (if you are) that I can do business with. If I may put my My hat the atheist evangelical one - on, we don't want to create a world without religion, but a world where no one religion runs the country.

But Phet. is right in that 'My religion or burn' is far from being uncommon in Christianity. In the USA, it is not only a very common belief, but is the eternal excuse for pushing for Christian Sharya law.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That is an admirable view to have, and you are the sort of Christian (if you are) that I can do business with. If I may put my My hat the atheist evangelical one - on, we don't want to create a world without religion, but a world where no one religion runs the country.

But Phet. is right in that 'My religion or burn' is far from being uncommon in Christianity. In the USA, it is not only a very common belief, but is the eternal excuse for pushing for Christian Sharya law.
Thanks. I had some fundie upbringing which I reject. The first lightbulb as a teen was it being totally illogical that the vast majority of people believe what their parents taught them, so a just God casts to Hell those born to the wrong family or geographical location? Just, no.

I had Catholic friends, and I dated a Mormon on and off through HS and college. This led me to learn about other ways of believing. Then as an adult I met Jews and Muslims and Christian Scientists and so on and so forth. More learning.

My posts on Mormons are always misinterpreted. No matter the care I take in the way I word things. Pointing out that their BOM contradicts the Bible is a fact, not a condemnation. I have the same 'issue' with the Sunna and Hadith. Books to explain Muhammad. I think they pervert the religion of Islam, since they directly contradict the Qu'ran often.

(I don't know how they turn 'covering bosoms' into covering entire female bodies, as an example)

But this is all 'academic'. For me there is an enormous difference in academically, intellectually discussing various religions and asserting right or wrong, etc.

That is what a comparative religion course is about, after all. Merely discussing the differences.

Anyway, the title of the thread is about what Mormons believe. They believe in multiple Gods. They can become a God. That is in direct contradiction with the Bible, just a statement of fact.

I had a long conversation with a Mormon about this who said why would you want to limit yourself from all possibilities? Well, because my personal belief is that there is only one God, so for me it's not a possibility at all to become one.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM

Your take is of course faith -based. Since the three- pack god of Christianity is what you believe, the family of alien race gods (though Katz. would argue that this is not what it teaches) has to be wrong. Though the point that it is different.

For me as an atheist (brandishes banner) I don't see either as being more credible than the other, and one having more votes doesn't make it right.

This is why my approach to Mormonism is what we can see from the archaeology that doesn't interest Katz. so much. For me, it is what screws the credibility of Mormonism, and doctrinal differences with mainstream Christianity is of little interest to me. Though anything that smacks of nuttiness is

Old 09-13-2018, 08:06 AM

When Mormons come to my door to spread belief in Jesus and I say I already believe, why do they persist in trying to convert me, if we are both already Christians?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
When Mormons come to my door to spread belief in Jesus and I say I already believe, why do they persist in trying to convert me, if we are both already Christians?
That is a very good question, though perhaps needs a different thread. The Ostensible reason is to save you from some kind of problem in the next Life (if not this one) which is why we goddless bastards make such fun of the many Sects of Christianity all (effectively) damning the other Christians to burn hell alongside the atheists.

But I don't believe that is the reason - it is a compulsion to increase the numbers of the group to obtain influence and power. And I don't ignore that it's what atheists (or, at least, secularists) are trying to do, too.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:47 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Probably for the same reasons the JWs, SDAs, or the Methodists do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality