Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,527,983 times

Advertisements

The supposedly 'non-Christian' status of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has more to do with Evangelical resentment of its size and rapid growth (at least historically rapid). Most often, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' rejection of Nicean Creed is cited as the foremost example of its 'non-Christian' status. However, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Scientists), Oneness Pentecostals, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Church of God International, and the United Church of God all reject the Trinity and are nonetheless considered Christians by most. Among academics, the standard definition of a Christian is one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. Latter-day Saints undoubtedly meet that standard.

City-Data has the correct policy and mensaguy was spot on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The "Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints" worships Jesus Christ as the focal point of that religion. That makes them Christians by definition.

Putting on moderator hat:

Anyone who worships Jesus Christ as their religion is recognized as a Christian in this forum. That's not up for debate.

Last edited by Hiruko; 09-13-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
When Mormons come to my door to spread belief in Jesus and I say I already believe, why do they persist in trying to convert me, if we are both already Christians?
ALL Christian denominations believe that you should join their particular denomination, as they believe it to be the most correct. Some merely have larger missionary programs than others, and differing priorities. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints spends a lot of time proselytizing non-Christians, unaffiliated, and disaffected Christians. You will find that the vast majority of people who convert to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are either non-Christian, unaffiliated, or disaffected. In developed countries, very few join because they were approached by missionaries.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,524,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The supposedly 'non-Christian' status of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has more to do with Evangelical resentment of its size and rapid growth (at least historically rapid). Most often, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' rejection of Nicean Creed is cited as the foremost example of its 'non-Christian' status. However, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Church of Christ, Scientist (Christian Scientists), Oneness Pentecostals, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Church of God International, and the United Church of God all reject the Trinity and are nonetheless considered Christians by most. Among academics, the standard definition of a Christian is one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. Latter-day Saints undoubtedly meet that standard.

City-Data has the correct policy and mensaguy was spot on:
That isn't my reason. I think people who are part of the same religion believe in the same God. To me, that is rather basic, though I understand your point and the position of CD as well.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
That isn't my reason. I think people who are part of the same religion believe in the same God. To me, that is rather basic, though I understand your point and the position of CD as well.
Latter-day Saints believe in the God of Abraham. I don't follow your logic.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Latter-day Saints believe in the God of Abraham. I don't follow your logic.
Mormons believe in a God that rules over only this planet, that there are multiple Gods, and in fact they can be Gods over their own planet someday if they do whatever is required to get to that point. That is not the same God that other Christians believe in. There is no other sect that is not monotheistic. I am not arguing that means they are not Christian, I am just answering your question.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Mormons believe in a God that rules over only this planet, that there are multiple Gods, and in fact they can be Gods over their own planet someday if they do whatever is required to get to that point. That is not the same God that other Christians believe in. There is no other sect that is not monotheistic. I am not arguing that means they are not Christian, I am just answering your question.
Actually, the belief is the God is the sovereign of this universe. Yes, there is a doctrine that through eternal progression, men might become gods. However, this is not something that is given great emphasis in the Church at all. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is monotheistic in that it subscribes to the worship of a single God. Other gods are irrelevant to their worship.

You can't argue that they aren't Christian in previous posts and then claim that you are not arguing that.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:

You can't argue that they aren't Christian in previous posts and then claim that you are not arguing that.
I can because I am now prohibited from arguing that, but I can still state what I did to answer your question w/o violating the prohibition. I am not reversing my position, I am complying with CD rules.

For your reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Anyone who worships Jesus Christ as their religion is recognized as a Christian in this forum. That's not up for debate.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I can because I am now prohibited from arguing that, but I can still state what I did to answer your question w/o violating the prohibition. I am not reversing my position, I am complying with CD rules.
A good step in the right direction for you would be to get your facts right so that you don't have these problems.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:00 AM

Aside: Christians are not supposed to worship Jesus, only God, which I guess is another topic, but related. Even Jesus directed worship to God, not himself.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
A good step in the right direction for you would be to get your facts right so that you don't have these problems.
Oh, I have them right, and no problems. But thanks for your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality