Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
How does any of that get into the coffin these days?

I see coffins being buried in a concrete box these days. I think thats the norm in my area.
If a person is embalmed it's detrimental to any worm or fauna that wants to feast on a dead body. Its also bad for flora.

However the situation you described will only delay our “dust to dust” progression.

I would rather return to earth naturally vs. being pumped with toxic chemicals that delay the decaying process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
If a person is embalmed it's detrimental to any worm or fauna that wants to feast on a dead body. Its also bad for flora.

However the situation you described will only delay our “dust to dust” progression.

I would rather return to earth naturally vs. being pumped with toxic chemicals that delay the decaying process.

Agreed. Neither of my parents, or my wife, were embalmed. And I won't be. I'm leaning towards cremation because I want parts of me scattered in various locations. Which, of course, would be difficult in large chunks of decaying matter.

And probably illegal...

Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Agreed. Neither of my parents, or my wife, were embalmed. And I won't be. I'm leaning towards cremation because I want parts of me scattered in various locations. Which, of course, would be difficult in large chunks of decaying matter.

And probably illegal...
If you cremate your body then you leave no chance of your DNA being passed on via creatures eating your decaying body. You also leave no chance of your DNA soaring through the Universe (once the earth explodes)and landing on a planet where RNA and DNA can start life on a Goldilocks planet.

I prefer to be buried at sea or in a beautiful forest untouched by human foresting.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:08 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
If you cremate your body then you leave no chance of your DNA being passed on via creatures eating your decaying body. You also leave no chance of your DNA soaring through the Universe (once the earth explodes)and landing on a planet where RNA and DNA can start life on a Goldilocks planet.

I prefer to be buried at sea or in a beautiful forest untouched by human foresting.
I think sea is more easy and realistic option.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:

Yup, I'm leaning more and more to a "green burial". Now, to bring it up with my kids.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:21 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yup, I'm leaning more and more to a "green burial". Now, to bring it up with my kids.
For a long time I have had this idea of being buried in a forest with a tree planted over my body so that I may nourish it. It just seems like a cool idea - a final contribution (I have this thing about trees and forests). I should look into it as the time draws nearer. Then again it might cost too much.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
For a long time I have had this idea of being buried in a forest with a tree planted over my body so that I may nourish it. It just seems like a cool idea - a final contribution (I have this thing about trees and forests). I should look into it as the time draws nearer. Then again it might cost too much.
Kind of what I thought of.

I’d call it planted feet first. Use an auger to dig a a deep enough hole. Toss me in feet first facing east and plant a tree on my head.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:21 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
In some places, and it seems to me I recall North Carolina being one of them, it is legal to bury a body just wrapped in burlap in a cemetery created for that purpose. No box, no concrete, just natural decomposition.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In some places, and it seems to me I recall North Carolina being one of them, it is legal to bury a body just wrapped in burlap in a cemetery created for that purpose. No box, no concrete, just natural decomposition.
I saw something about these "green" cemeteries. I think it was in California. They give you the precise latitude & longitude location of the burial, and sometimes they lark the grave with a rock or plant a tree, but the burial is just basically a body in the ground. Besides being environmentally sound, it's said to be considerable less expensive than traditional embalming followed with casket and vault burials and stone grave markers.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
That gives me great fear just imagining my body being in a casket, buried underground after death! I realize lot of people believe we do not 'inhabit' the body after death...but no one really knows for sure.

Im extremely claustrophobic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality