Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Go Broncos!
Just married!
Visualize whirled peas.
Jesus saves!
Play Lotto!

People are advertising some various stuff.
All of it seems that they are enthusiastic, is all, and want you do think
as they do, cuz they found happiness or fun. So...which one of those is wanting your cash?
The only bumper sticker I currently have is a pawprint that says "Shed Happens" that I got for making a donation to a local animal shelter.

The only other one I sometimes consider purchasing because it strongly reflects my personal views is this one:

Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
MQ I want one....I used to have one...
'Lord, make the person my dog thinks I am"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, it is simply an expression of the fact. It is irrelevant what anyone accepts or doesn't accept or believes or does not believe about it.
It's a fact if you believe it's a fact. Others may not believe it is. Carry on.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:35 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I can understand the idea at keeping on banging away at the same arguments (I do it myself ) but I cannot fathom this need to keep making Plonking faith claims.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I personally have always been turned off by religious signs. I'm not talking about words posted on the signs of churches as that makes sense to me. But bumper stickers, people standing on street corners with signs - those all make me feel like it's an advertisement for religion.

Is religion treated like substance abuse programs where it's a reach out like a helping hand? Call xxx-xxx-xxxx if you need help, etc. Do people need religion, and as such, am I being told I need Jesus? I suppose I personally don't feel I need a savior, and I guess that alone may make me feel negative. And I know there are lost people in the world, but who says what they need to help them?

I know I'm being cynical, but for whatever reason the appearance of religion being sold like used cars just turns me off.
I think it's a desire to make Jesus relevant to people that simply don't believe, or don't see a need.

God is the one that draws us to him. While he commands us to preach the Gospel, it's difficult to wait on God sometimes...so we tend to want to find ways to make the message relevant to them that don't want to hear it, so some people tend to try to market Jesus as a self-help program.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So the flat earthers are not wrong?

Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The only bumper sticker I currently have is a pawprint that says "Shed Happens" that I got for making a donation to a local animal shelter.

The only other one I sometimes consider purchasing because it strongly reflects my personal views is this one:
That really tells us a lot.

Those are several different mutually exclusive things. They can't all be correct.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So the flat earthers are not wrong?

Not in their own minds. Just like fundies think they're right but sensible, educated people realize they are not.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
That isn’t how facts work. Facts are objective truths that can be proven. They are not subjective to personal belief.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That really tells us a lot.

Those are several different mutually exclusive things. They can't all be correct.
True. They cannot all be correct. But the sentiment that people who believe in these disparate ideas can coexist transcends each individual faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality