Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
MQ I want one....I used to have one...
'Lord, make the person my dog thinks I am"
I love it!

Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That really tells us a lot.

Those are several different mutually exclusive things. They can't all be correct.
That's not the message of the bumper sticker.

Find the commonalities and work together instead of dividing over the differences.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
True. They cannot all be correct. But the sentiment that people who believe in these disparate ideas can coexist transcends each individual faith.
Exactly. None of them are "correct". There is no one right way. Each of those symbols represents a group of people who are seeking something but using different ways to get to what they seek. Believing one has discovered a singular RIGHT way--or that a RIGHT way even exists--is what causes religion to become harmful instead of beneficial.

Many paths up the same mountain, as they say.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
True. They cannot all be correct. But the sentiment that people who believe in these disparate ideas can coexist transcends each individual faith.
I get that. Yes, we can all get along very well. I have no problem with that. What I do have issue with is the notion that all beliefs are equally valid, or correct. They can't possibly be. While we need to accept each other, and make room for opposite beliefs, they are not all the same.

Having said that, such philosophy is not practiced here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 02:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
I get that. Yes, we can all get along very well. I have no problem with that. What I do have issue with is the notion that all beliefs are equally valid, or correct. They can't possibly be. While we need to accept each other, and make room for opposite beliefs, they are not all the same.
You are putting way too much thought into a bumper sticker.

Quote:
Why the gratuitous slam? While not perfect, the forum is open to all, and reasonably fairly moderated. I can gripe about relatively minor things, but I do not see a systemic bias in particular. If anything, the rule against discussing science seems to benefit theists more than atheists, but I can grudgingly understand the logic behind it.

Or are you referring to the fact that we debate, discuss, and challenge ideas? If that is your gripe, what else would you suggest we do on a discussion forum?

Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
You are putting way too much thought into a bumper sticker.

Why the gratuitous slam? While not perfect, the forum is open to all, and reasonably fairly moderated. I can gripe about relatively minor things, but I do not see a systemic bias in particular. If anything, the rule against discussing science seems to benefit theists more than atheists, but I can grudgingly understand the logic behind it.

Or are you referring to the fact that we debate, discuss, and challenge ideas? If that is your gripe, what else would you suggest we do on a discussion forum?
Wasn't met as a slam. It's a simple observation. My religion states that ONLY those that have a faith in Jesus, whom is God, are saved. ONLY those that trust in him. There are many that disagree with that statement, but still call themselves Christians. To state that one is NOT a Christian here is simply not accepted. So, while we can certainly get along, and should make every effort to be cordial and nice to each other, it's naive to think this forum practices that.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:32 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

Well, as you said, not all beliefs are actually valid or correct. And yours are not.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Wasn't met as a slam. It's a simple observation. My religion states that ONLY those that have a faith in Jesus, whom is God, are saved. ONLY those that trust in him. There are many that disagree with that statement, but still call themselves Christians. To state that one is NOT a Christian here is simply not accepted. So, while we can certainly get along, and should make every effort to be cordial and nice to each other, it's naive to think this forum practices that.
Well, if it makes you feel better, you can say that I am not a Christian. I don’t mind.

I don’t see that your issue is valid though. If the forum is going to be reasonably neutral, it cannot make doctrinal decisions, which is what you want. You want your particular interpretation of Christianity to be elevated above every other version. Sorry, that won’t happen on a non-denominational site.

If you need that type of doctrinal purity, you might be better served to post on a baptist board somewhere. I am sure that they exist.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Well, if it makes you feel better, you can say that I am not a Christian. I don’t mind.

I don’t see that your issue is valid though. If the forum is going to be reasonably neutral, it cannot make doctrinal decisions, which is what you want. You want your particular interpretation of Christianity to be elevated above every other version. Sorry, that won’t happen on a non-denominational site.

If you need that type of doctrinal purity, you might be better served to post on a baptist board somewhere. I am sure that they exist.
I agree with you. And I'm not complaining, just making an observation. It really is not possible to suggest that all religions are equal, or correct when they are mutually exclusive.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
I agree with you. And I'm not complaining, just making an observation. It really is not possible to suggest that all religions are equal, or correct when they are mutually exclusive.
They can all be wrong. And a growing number of us believe they all are.

But some are much wronger than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality