Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 AM

27,997 posts, read 29,823,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
LOL.
Huh?

Quote:
I looked it up and Mormons LOVE CS Lewis, but he did not like Mormons.
As far as we know, his interaction with Mormons was limited to one person with whom he corresponded by mail. He didn't like the idea of a person having to give up alcohol as a requirement for membership in the Church, but he certainly wasn't alone in that!

Quote:
We will have to eternally disagree that he was in any way supporting the Mormon Doctrine of becoming Gods in this quote or any other.
There's nothing for us to disagree on. I've never claimed that he was supporting LDS doctrine. I'm sure he wasn't giving LDS doctrine a second thought when he wrote what he did. He more than likely didn't even know what LDS doctrine on the subject was. He was merely stating his own thoughts on the subject. And "He meant what he said."

Quote:
Even if he were, the fact that he was a Christian wouldn't make his interpretation scripturally correct.
It would make his interpretation of scripture different from yours, that's all. It wouldn't necessarily make his interpretation "incorrect" and yours "correct."

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-14-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Most conservative Christians would not call him a Christian since he was clearly a Universalist.
So it's conservative Christians who get to make the call as to who's Christian and who's not. It's funny though, that of the millions of people who say that they want to serve God, so many of them really just want to serve Him in an advisory capacity. Poor God. He's got more help than He can use.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,813,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
So it's conservative Christians who get to make the call as to who's Christian and who's not. It's funny though, that of the millions of people who say that they want to serve God, so many of them really just want to serve Him in an advisory capacity. Poor God. He's got more help than He can use.
They were the ones who owned the gold, throughout history, therefore they could also write God's laws.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,488,929 times
Quote:
Huh?

As far as we know, his interaction with Mormons was limited to one person with whom he corresponded by mail. He didn't like the idea of a person having to give up alcohol as a requirement for membership in the Church, but he certainly wasn't alone in that!

There's nothing for us to disagree on. I've never claimed that he was supporting LDS doctrine. I'm sure he wasn't giving LDS doctrine a second thought when he wrote what he did. He more than likely didn't even know what LDS doctrine on the subject was. He was merely stating his own thoughts on the subject. And "He meant what he said."

It would make his interpretation of scripture different from yours, that's all. It wouldn't necessarily make his interpretation "incorrect" and yours "correct."
But you quote him often to support LDS Doctrine. That is your 'go-to' quote to prove that belief in Godhood is rooted in Christianity, not just Mormons. When asked for scriptural proof, you offer this instead.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But you quote him often to support LDS Doctrine. That is your 'go-to' quote to prove that belief in Godhood is rooted in Christianity, not just Mormons. When asked for scriptural proof, you offer this instead.
This is really bugging you, isn't it, Jencam? You don't like the fact that a well-known Christian theologian has said something you personally disagree with. I have never quoted C.S. Lewis "to support LDS doctrine." I have quoted him when you have insisted that a "real Christian" couldn't possibly believe God has given us the potential to become like Him someday. C.S. Lewis was a "real Christian" who did believe precisely that.

You want "scriptural proof." I don't have "proof"; I have a number of passages from the Bible that, in my opinion, support the LDS position. We believe, as you may know, that ours is a restoration of the very Church Jesus Christ established during His ministry here on earth. It would follow, then, that we believe we are teaching the same doctrines as were taught then and accepted by Jesus’ followers. Throughout the New Testament, there are indications that this doctrine (known as deification or exaltation) is not one the Latter-day Saints invented, but that the earliest Christians understood and believed it, as well.

Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 are the four I like best. Through these verses, we learn that, as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.

Now, if these promises are true (as I believe they are), what do they all boil down to? To the Latter-day Saints, they mean that we have the potential to someday, be “godlike.” If our Father is divine and we are literally his "offspring", as the Bible teaches we are, is it really such a stretch of the imagination to believe that he has endowed each of us with a spark of divinity? You may believe it is. I don't. I believe that God wants us to reach our full potential as His sons and daughters, and I am convinced that first-century Christians believed this, too.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 AM

63,568 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
This is really bugging you, isn't it, Jencam? You don't like the fact that a well-known Christian theologian has said something you personally disagree with. I have never quoted C.S. Lewis "to support LDS doctrine." I have quoted him when you have insisted that a "real Christian" couldn't possibly believe God has given us the potential to become like Him someday. C.S. Lewis was a "real Christian" who did believe precisely that.

You want "scriptural proof." I don't have "proof"; I have a number of passages from the Bible that, in my opinion, support the LDS position. We believe, as you may know, that ours is a restoration of the very Church Jesus Christ established during His ministry here on earth. It would follow, then, that we believe we are teaching the same doctrines as were taught then and accepted by Jesus’ followers. Throughout the New Testament, there are indications that this doctrine (known as deification or exaltation) is not one the Latter-day Saints invented, but that the earliest Christians understood and believed it, as well.

Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 are the four I like best. Through these verses, we learn that, as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.

Now, if these promises are true (as I believe they are), what do they all boil down to? To the Latter-day Saints, they mean that we have the potential to someday, be “godlike.” If our Father is divine and we are literally his "offspring", as the Bible teaches we are, is it really such a stretch of the imagination to believe that he has endowed each of us with a spark of divinity? You may believe it is. I don't. I believe that God wants us to reach our full potential as His sons and daughters, and I am convinced that first-century Christians believed this, too.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:

Nothing is 'bugging' me. I don't know why you try to ascribe feelings to posters who merely disagree with you. You do point to CS Lewis's quote often to support the LDS notion of men becoming Gods, and then you do this again, go back to equivocating by saying 'god-like' which is very different. LDS believes you can become Gods.

Your quote from Paul in Corinthians refers to 'so called' Gods that he says ARE NOT Gods. There is only one God. That is not scriptural evidence of your belief. Yours comes from the Book of Mormon, not the Bible.

Your references in this post about sitting with God are also not supportive of being God's ourselves. Moderator cut: All Christians worship the same God. Deal with it.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-16-2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Post implied Mormons worship a different God. That's unacceptable.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:51 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21 are the four I like best. Through these verses, we learn that, *as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him.*
*We might partake of the nature of divinity* and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations.

Now, if these promises are true (as I believe they are), what do they all boil down to? To the Latter-day Saints, they mean that we have the potential to someday, be “godlike.” If our Father is divine and we are literally his "offspring", as the Bible teaches we are, is it really such a stretch of the imagination to believe that he has endowed each of us with a spark of divinity?
You may believe it is. I don't.

*I believe that God wants us to reach our full potential as His sons and daughters, and I am convinced that first-century Christians believed this, too*.
Me, too.
And everyday I am consciously ridding myself of the paperchains of ridiculous limitations to realize just who I am
as an heir of Christ's...my Father's daughter...the daugher of a King...all of us little princes and princesses of The most
magnificent Being ever !

Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, BF, I will not. The Bible is primitive and the concepts are "carnal milk" that we should long ago have outgrown. But the religious leaders did NOT pursue the "solid food" because they believed we had to accept the "carnal milk" as a sign of our faith in God. It was a horrible mistake and corruption of Christ's Gospel and demonstration of God's love and expectations for us. I have no secret knowledge since it is what Jesus unambiguously demonstrated and taught. That is no secret. He is the firstborn of US to be as "mature" as the Father and He abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us as the Father guided Him.
What is the 'solid food'?

Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
But, BF, what do you mean we don't have a divine nature?

Psalm 82:6 (KJV) I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
We were made in His image..

John 1:9 John the Baptist says, He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jesus says "our" Father, we have the same Creator...an apple tree doesn't bear grapes.
We may have been born in wrath (this psycho planet), as you say (but, didn't say exactly the verse) ....but we came from our Holy Heavenly Father....Light.
Are the planets that Mormons are going to rule be less 'psycho'? If so, how can that be? That would mean that we (people who become Gods) could become better than this God, the one that rules over this planet. How did we get stuck with a psycho planet? And apparently not as good of a God as could exist?

Or are all the planets 'psycho'? If so, why seek Godhood to rule over one and populate it, perpetuating this cycle?

Unless it's thought we can do a better job than God, we can be better Gods with better planets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.