Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:36 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistfundie View Post
solomon said in ecclesiastes that no one is righteous, no one seeks after god. Not one. It was repeated by the rabbi paul of tarsus, who studied under the great gamaliel.

Come to your messiah, richard. You can't be good on your own.
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...d-inclination/
The rabbinic duality of yetzer hara, the so-called “evil inclination,” and yetzer hatov, the “good inclination,” is more subtle than the names connote. Yetzer hara is ...

A proper understanding of "sin nature" is no different. The idea that we are tainted before ever consciously exercising the selfish impulse in opposition to the good of our society is just bad hermeneutics.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:56 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Judaism teaches that human beings are not basically sinful. We come into the world neither carrying the burden of sin committed by our ancestors nor tainted by it. Rather, sin, chet, is the result of our human inclinations, the yetzer, which must be properly channeled. - https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...h-view-of-sin/

It is not really difficult if one desires to be a good person...
Sin is when you commit transgressions against against your personal system of religious make believe. Sin therefore is all in your head. I have no personal system of religious make believe, therefore I am without sin. I have made certain mistakes during the course of my life however, which I have learned from and have made every effort not to repeat. Like most people, I can not claim to be error free. But I have never done physical harm to another human being. Purposely doing physical harm to another human being would be the definition of evil.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:31 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Solomon said in Ecclesiastes that no one is righteous, no one seeks after God. Not one. It was repeated by the rabbi Paul of Tarsus, who studied under the great Gamaliel.

Come to your Messiah, Richard. You can't be good on your own.
There is no proof that he studied under Gamaliel or that he was a Rabbi...And, yes, we can be good on our own...

Old 10-06-2018, 04:34 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If coming to your messiah turned you into what you have become -- why would anyone in their right mind want to?

Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
On a broader scale I agree with you and OP. It makes sense that we are born sinless. And everyone is responsible for their own actions whether good or bad.

There are two additional items.

1 - When someone teaches and/or does something good and that teaching/action spreads to other people and their generations who carry on with doing the good action then the person and his soul who started it, keeps getting rewards even after his/her demise. You gave charity and had a water well dug in a drought area - so long as people drink water from the welll, you and your soul keeps getting rewards. You planted a tree, everytime birds eat it’s fruit, you get rewards. You taught and convinced someone to give charity. Everytime the person gives charity, you get rewards. And so on ... just like a pyramid.

And the opposite is also there. You teach someone something bad and then that bad action action spreads to other people - then you will keep piling up the negative points.

2 - Sin and Mistake.
I think there is a fine line. And a loose translation will be,

A sin would be something when you knowingly and intentionally cross the boundaries set by your faith guidelines.
A mistake would be something bad you did unintentionally and you regret.

And both of these can’t be done BEFORE you are born - and hence we are born sinless.
Very interesting post. I particularly agree with your final sentence.

For me, part of the discussion should be about how one (not we) defines sin. I like the definition: "an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission". We Buddhists supposedly don't have "sins"...but then again we have karma...which to me is a negative reaction to something that we do which is a "regrettable fault, offense, or omission". To me, quibbling over a definition...in this case...is not very meaningful. I don't think it requires a religion or "faith" in something...just a belief in some type of moral code. And yes, that means it may be a moving target.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Good post. I agree we are born sinless, but I also believe that because of genetics, we have within us the propensity to sin unto the fourth generation. So if our ancestors were sinless, that's a good thing.

The best indicator to me of a sin is how an action... whether done by me to someone or vice versa, or done by me alone... causes immediate regret, remorse or humiliation to come to my conscience.
Sin is caused by genetics? Oh my.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very interesting post. I particularly agree with your final sentence.

For me, part of the discussion should be about how one (not we) defines sin. I like the definition: "an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offense, or omission". We Buddhists supposedly don't have "sins"...but then again we have karma...which to me is a negative reaction to something that we do which is a "regrettable fault, offense, or omission". To me, quibbling over a definition...in this case...is not very meaningful. I don't think it requires a religion or "faith" in something...just a belief in some type of moral code. And yes, that means it may be a moving target.
So from Budhism’s stand point, what’s the karma to people like Hitler or many others in our history, present time and many who will come in future, for all those people who escaped the karma because they were/are/will be powerful, had smart attorneys or just got lucky and now they die normal deaths without facing any consequences of their atrocities against others?

Old 10-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So from Budhism’s stand point, what’s the karma to people like Hitler or many others in our history, present time and many who will come in future, for all those people who escaped the karma because they were/are/will be powerful, had smart attorneys or just got lucky and now they die normal deaths without facing any consequences of their atrocities against others?
Interesting question. If you find any Buddhists who can come to agreement on karma, let me know. On a Buddhist forum I sometimes visit, it's one of the most controversial topics.

But a traditional view of karma would say that just because their karmic experience doesn't happen during their current lifetime doesn't mean it doesn't happen in a future life.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:26 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Come to your Messiah, Richard. You can't be good on your own.
...from someone that CONSTANTLY whinges about not getting respect for his beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality