Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 PM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is absolutely no evidence of mental illness being caused by chemical imbalance. Even psychiatrists have discarded that old idea.
Really? You sure about that?

Can you point us to where we might verify that for ourselves? Like, you know, the research?

When I did a google search the very first thing that popped up was this;
Quote:
A chemical imbalance in the brain is said to occur when there's either too much or too little of certain chemicals, called neurotransmitters, in the brain. ... It's often said that mental disorders, such as depression and anxiety, are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. June 25, 2018
I bolded the date - June 25 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 11:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
And your reason for not believing? Because someone told you there aren't any?
This from the Fish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
To the contrary. Many people have told me that there are demons. However, those people tend to be rather gullible and not very discriminating in their beliefs, so I tend to take this into account when evaluating their statements. Add to that the complete lack of actual evidence for demons, and it is a rational conclusion that they don't exist.
In conjunction with logic, reason and common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How about the fact that we have this detailed information about demons in the first place, as evidence they exist?!!! LOL
We don't ask for 'detailed information.' Detailed information is not verifiable evidence. I could give you very detailed information for the fairies that live in my wood-shed. Will you accept that as verifiable evidence for the existence of fairies.

Quote:
In order for us to have this information, someone at some point, had to summon the demon,...
...or conjure it from their imagination.

Quote:
I sometimes think those people in the past were right all along...demons ARE the cause of some of these things and its only modern mankind that finds another 'less demonic' culprit.
Funny how atheists are never bothered by demons.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:21 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
That is so cute! You really believe this happened. Awe, I want to pat you on the head.

Simplest and best explanation, except for those based on actual science. You know, the ones that have chemical imbalance as cause, with that chemical imbalance being treatable with appropriate prescription drugs.

But go ahead and inscribe pentagrams on the floor with chalk. That should work equally well.
When I was younger, a group of my friends played around with a Ouija board (one we made ourselves, using cardboard, black marker and piece of glass). I didnt believe in the thing at first, but eventually it proved me wrong. I never used it personally, but the girls in our group did, and we would stand around asking it questions...

I asked it questions that these girls using it, could not have possibly known, and everytime, it answered correctly. (one question I asked was, the color of dress my mom was wearing at her funeral, my mom had died 12 yrs earlier, and in a different city, no way these girls would have known that information)The final thing it did, which made us stop using, it directed us to a location in town, and if we dug down in the ground, it told us what we would find...needless to say, it was correct.(before anyone says that the girls could have went and buried this thing earlier...the metallic object we found, 5ft deep btw, had been there for many years).

Old 10-15-2018, 01:43 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Really? You sure about that?

Can you point us to where we might verify that for ourselves? Like, you know, the research?

When I did a google search the very first thing that popped up was this;

I bolded the date - June 25 2018.
The chemical imbalance theory of mental illness is simplistic, and hardly any psychiatrists believe it. You can still find it on heath news websites. The causes of mental illness are not known, but it is known that the causes are not simple.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/couc...balance-debate

Old 10-15-2018, 01:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
When I was younger, a group of my friends played around with a Ouija board (one we made ourselves, using cardboard, black marker and piece of glass). I didnt believe in the thing at first, but eventually it proved me wrong. I never used it personally, but the girls in our group did, and we would stand around asking it questions...

I asked it questions that these girls using it, could not have possibly known, and everytime, it answered correctly. (one question I asked was, the color of dress my mom was wearing at her funeral, my mom had died 12 yrs earlier, and in a different city, no way these girls would have known that information)The final thing it did, which made us stop using, it directed us to a location in town, and if we dug down in the ground, it told us what we would find...needless to say, it was correct.(before anyone says that the girls could have went and buried this thing earlier...the metallic object we found, 5ft deep btw, had been there for many years).
What was it?...

Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
The chemical imbalance theory of mental illness is simplistic, and hardly any psychiatrists believe it. You can still find it on heath news websites. The causes of mental illness are not known, but it is known that the causes are not simple.

You yourself say that the causes of mental illness are not known, but are complex.

Quote:
Our modern mythology says that we humans are in control, we don't have anything to worry about from spirits. Even people who are religious or spiritual tend to think this way. It is comforting. In ancient and prehistoric times, people weren't so anxious to be comforted and reassured. They sensed evil influences from the spirit worlds, and they tried to fight them.

There are a small number of modern psychiatrists who think some mental illness is caused by spirit possession. I definitely agree with them. It is the simplest and best explanation for the mystery of mental illness, which modern psychiatry has no good explanations for.
But even though you admit the causes are not known, you choose to belief that the cause is actual demonic possession.

Hmmm. Maybe you are leaping to an unsupported conclusion?

Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Quote:

Oh Ok, I get what you mean.

I've always understood what was meant by "chemical imbalance". It's an over simplistic expression but it does apply to conditions such as anxiety and mood disorders although I wouldn't expect a psychiatrist to actually use that description very often.

It's not so much about 'believing it' but chemical imbalance (neurotransmitter deficiency) is the mechanism in some disorders such as anxiety and mood disorders - not the cause mind you. The article in the link you provided covers it fairly well.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,061,611 times
Quote:
And your reason for not believing? Because someone told you there aren't any?
Obviously not. From understanding what we know about reality and that facts (things that exist) are researchable and the research is repeatable and verifiable. Otherwise, we might as well believe in aliens and that "love conquers all" even rabid and hungry wild animals.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
How about the fact that we have this detailed information about demons in the first place, as evidence they exist?!!! LOL

In order for us to have this information, someone at some point, had to summon the demon, figure out how to do that too.

Plus, you have to take into consideration, demons do not really want people to believe they exist, they are most effective when majority of people do not believe they exist, kind of like decades past, when the 'scientific cause' of many diseases, illnesses...was demonic...fast forward to today, rarely does anyone blame demons for mental problems or other diseases. (gee, I wonder why that is?)!!

I sometimes think those people in the past were right all along...demons ARE the cause of some of these things and its only modern mankind that finds another 'less demonic' culprit.
No, they definitely could have just made it up, or researched it from historical writings that were made up or misunderstood. Like Harry Potter. Lots of work went and goes into Harry Potter, and lots of work went and goes into fictional stories that don't become that popular whether they tell you they are true or are outright and honest from the start.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Our modern mythology says that we humans are in control, we don't have anything to worry about from spirits. Even people who are religious or spiritual tend to think this way. It is comforting. In ancient and prehistoric times, people weren't so anxious to be comforted and reassured. They sensed evil influences from the spirit worlds, and they tried to fight them.

There are a small number of modern psychiatrists who think some mental illness is caused by spirit possession. I definitely agree with them. It is the simplest and best explanation for the mystery of mental illness, which modern psychiatry has no good explanations for.
Our modern zeitgeist says nothing of the sort. And mythology is considered "history" even though it just means "study of stories." Our modern understanding of the world at a scientific level says we have reached high influence and are still vulnerable to (and dependant on) nature.

People live in relative comfort, so the "demons" are part-timers. Losers, just like their loser angel parents who procrastinate in bliss according to the clear and obvious implications of Christian mythology, just like the loser Joker and the loser Lex Luthor and Tom Riddle.

In ancient and prehistoric times, people were even more anxious to be comforted and reassured and just as bored to scare each other... they'd killed off or out-lasted their predators long ago and managed not to become the stable of any other species enough to build an evolutionary predatory relationship. They loved their "comforting and reassuring" influences from the "spirit worlds" and they tried to placate to them. If a psychiatrist thinks that "some" mental illnesses are caused by spirit possession, then it means they've given up in that area, their prerogative. A belief, mind you, that no legitimate scientific body would concede so haphazardly knowing all we know about hallucinations and other human fallacies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality