Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM

62 posts, read 186,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
In yet another attempt to be witty and rile up my friends on the Religion Forum I'd like to point out some unusual characteristics about God. God is described in the Bible as having emotions that resemble those of human beings. One of the more unusual emotions can be pointed out in the Bible passage "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God." Why in the world would a supreme being who has created everything that even exists be jealous of anyone? Then there's the mood swings. When everything is right with God he just seems to radiate love, compassion, caring and forgiveness. But when God's having a bad hair day human beings had better run for cover. That's when we get plagues, hordes of locusts, famine and on a really bad day the mass extinction of human beings and everything else that's alive (remember the great flood?). All of these various descriptions of God's feelings make me wonder if he shouldn't be on medication. Any thoughts?
If you and your significant other went to a party and he/she was entertaining/messing around another, wouldn't you get jealous? Of course you would. Here is a God that created us and gave us life and were turning our backs on him. Just sad. Ohhh.. first you have to believe that! Plagues, hordes of locusts, etc... God wasn't having a bad day at all. It was Man who was having the bad day. I'd really re-read the bible, realllyyyyy read it cause your confusing issues and do not know the reasoning behind them. I'm seeing this type of confusion a lot out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 12:17 PM

62 posts, read 186,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
So, if Jesus was God and God sent Jesus to die on the cross does that mean that God committed murder and suicide simultaneously?
To die so someone else can live is sacrifice, the ultimate expression of love and clearly neither murder nor suicide. If you fully understand what you read when reading the Bible, I can't see how you could come to any other conclusion.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,921,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post
To die so someone else can live is sacrifice, the ultimate expression of love and clearly neither murder nor suicide. If you fully understand what you read when reading the Bible, I can't see how you could come to any other conclusion.
It was a joke! I, of all people, understand the Bible. Trust me

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM

713 posts, read 1,954,140 times
Quote:
So, if Jesus was God and God sent Jesus to die on the cross does that mean that God committed murder and suicide simultaneously?
I think if you understood the trinity, you would better grasp why Jesus came to this earth and then was killed by mankind.

Father didn't kill Jesus. People killed Jesus. God knew it would happen and that is why hundreds of years before Christ's death it was predicted.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,921,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
I think if you understood the trinity, you would better grasp why Jesus came to this earth and then was killed by mankind.

Father didn't kill Jesus. People killed Jesus. God knew it would happen and that is why hundreds of years before Christ's death it was predicted.
See above post. Y'all really couldn't tell I was joking?

Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,297,130 times
Quote:
See above post. Y'all really couldn't tell I was joking?
I didn't think you were joking.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,587,269 times
Junos wrote:
Quote:
If you and your significant other went to a party and he/she was entertaining/messing around another, wouldn't you get jealous? Of course you would. Here is a God that created us and gave us life and were turning our backs on him. Just sad.
So you're comparing God's jealousy to a misbehaving spouse at a party? Maybe it's just me but I would think that if there was a God his behavior would be a little more mature. So you're saying that God created us and he gets jealous because we're so stupid that we worship carved stones, cows, Zeus or whatever and then he pouts about it?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,237,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God is Jealous/Zealous for us because he dose not want our affections to go to demons or inanimate objects (idols). He wants us to know him.

God is love so he radiates this.

In the new testament God did not change. When Ananias and Sephirah lied to the apostle Peter and to the holy spirit. God slew them dead and they were carried from the Church and buried.

Even Jesus who is God in bodily form passed judgement. In the temple, it says that he made a whip of ropes (pre-meditated) and beat the money changers who were selling in the temple.
Please, spare me the love!

So merely lying merits capital punishment?
And the loving Jesus whipped people for conducting commerce?

This is the definition of abuse and uber controlling behavior. Not only immature, but sociopathic behavior. Our laws would throw them into jail or at best a mental institution to protect society from their criminal behavior.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,480,467 times
I don't think God is bipolar. I think God is having fits because his children are like our own children. Some of our children make us proud, others are constant worry.

If YOU were god, and you looked upon earthly humankind and saw all the potential and all the good, but then there was all the idiots running around behaving like idiots~ even the believers acting like idiots from time to time,.. wouldn't you be prone to feeling like, "Don't make me smite thee!"

Pretty good OP, though. Kudos.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM

14,706 posts, read 17,043,100 times
Quote:
I don't think God is bipolar. I think God is having fits because his children are like our own children. Some of our children make us proud, others are constant worry.

Quote:
If YOU were god, and you looked upon earthly humankind and saw all the potential and all the good, but then there was all the idiots running around behaving like idiots~ even the believers acting like idiots from time to time,.. wouldn't you be prone to feeling like, "Don't make me smite thee!"
I believe that God condescends to us so that we can relate to Him on a certain level. If He sees all and knows all things and knew this before they happened, I don't believe that He is angry about anything. He may display anger to teach us, for example, the difference between what is right and what is wrong. As His creatures we are serve Him and He is our God. We are to have no idols before Him and I believe that He chooses to teach us this by allowing us to experience what happens when we don't. One way a child learns about right and wrong is by seeing his or her parents' reaction. If it is a serious offense, the consequences are to be serious, teaching the child what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable. Just my thoughts. God bless.

Figures of Speech (http://www.gtft.org/Library/miscellaneous/FiguresOfSpeechCondescension.htm - broken link)

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-04-2008 at 06:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality