Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The original poster started this thread with the premise that atheists were responsible for the world's ills. I responded to his post, when you jumped in to add your disparagement of atheists, too.

We atheists for the most part leave religious people alone to do their thing. We're not burning down churches, we're starting crusades, we're not threatening anyone with eternal torment.

But for some reason, we sure get under your skin.
I don't remember burning down atheist houses, starting crusades or threatening anyone with eternal torment either. I respond to atheists who come on forums to discuss or attack Christian ideas...I responded to what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I have no interpretation. It says what it says. Means nothing to me. You've certainly been reading a lot into it and looking for something to get angry over. And you've obviously achieved your goal.
How can something have no meaning? Why wouldn't they just put this on the poster: ljkasoaijweoprweroiawjoperioeprjwoerij, instead? To have no clue that this: Atheists, winning since Jesus was Crucified, could be offensive and so to accuse me of simply trying to start a fight is asinine. Good bye skoro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 05:22 PM

249 posts, read 532,102 times
Default Maybe.. god is the Imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
...and Buddha himself said it is our thoughts that create the world--this sounds a lot like "god" to me.
It's true our thoughts do create the world we live in (but not the planet).

The choices we all make.. create our day.. our future.. and all our memories.

We also create the environment that our children are going to be born into.

In this sense we are ALL creators..

Continually creating either heaven.. or hell.. on earth.

The process of creation is still continuing..

And it seems unlikely that it will ever end.

So.. maybe.. god is the Imagination.

------

“They have not known, and they do not understand; In darkness they keep walking about; All the foundations of the earth are made to totter. I myself have said, 'You are gods, And all of you are sons of the Most High.” - Psalms 82:5

----

"So in this idea, then, everybody is fundamentally the ultimate reality. Not God in a politically kingly sense, but God in the sense of being the self, the deep-down basic whatever there is. And you're all that, only you're pretending you're not. And it's perfectly OK to pretend you're not, to be perfectly convinced, because this is the whole notion of drama." - Alan Watts

-

Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM

39 posts, read 101,160 times
accelerator, I'm not sure where you are quoting from but it isn't Psalm 82:5.

I don't know whether you have read Nietzsche at all. Your process of logic is essentially the same as his. I believe in the existence of a Holy God in three persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Nietzsche puts the self as the highest authority.

Some atheists on this site will incorrectly tell you that they hold the majority view, quoting rediculously accurate stats like only 16% of XYZ are atheists and 84% religious. As I have pointed out before the world we live in is the evidence of the promotion of the self above a Holy God. It is not the result of religious zealots limiting the freedoms of others. The vast majority of that 84% (not that I am quoting any real stat here) are in fact interested in self and not God.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:36 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moetman View Post
accelerator, I'm not sure where you are quoting from but it isn't Psalm 82:5.

I don't know whether you have read Nietzsche at all. Your process of logic is essentially the same as his. I believe in the existence of a Holy God in three persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Nietzsche puts the self as the highest authority.

Some atheists on this site will incorrectly tell you that they hold the majority view, quoting rediculously accurate stats like only 16% of XYZ are atheists and 84% religious. As I have pointed out before the world we live in is the evidence of the promotion of the self above a Holy God. It is not the result of religious zealots limiting the freedoms of others. The vast majority of that 84% (not that I am quoting any real stat here) are in fact interested in self and not God.
You're still trying to equate atheism with arrogance, narcisism or placing humans on the highest level of importance. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't rule anything. Nature and the laws of our universe do.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Haaziq, we will never agree on these issues.

But thanks for your contribution to the debate.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 PM

285 posts, read 535,598 times
It always amazes me that the same folks who say they KNOW god and what he thinks, would call anyone arrogent.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Haaziq, we will never agree on these issues.

But thanks for your contribution to the debate.
It's funny how you withdraw your statements when you are called out on them. It's apparent you can't back them up. You can't prove that atheism and arrogance are connected in any way.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
It always amazes me that the same folks who say they KNOW god and what he thinks, would call anyone arrogent.
Thank you.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:00 PM

And I can not provide a PROOF that atheists are arrogant no more than you can provide a PROOF that my God does not exist. Both of our positions are based on our own personal faith.

You have called me out on nothing, please stop making these silly devisive comments....its not about me and you.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
And I can not provide a PROOF that atheists are arrogant no more than you can provide a PROOF that my God does not exist. Both of our positions are based on our own personal faith.

You have called me out on nothing, please stop making these silly devisive comments....its not about me and you.
I don't need to provide evidence of anything. I'm not the one making the claims. The religious are. The burden of proof is on them.

You can't prove atheists are arrogant because it is a bogus statement.

And I don't rely on faith. It has failed many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality