Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Maybe, but in the long run- it won't affect how I live my life. I try to focus on God, not on man and the world.
And there is the danger, maybe not you, but people who think like you.

When humanity is relegated to second place, humans suffer. Any faith based existence of an entity that was connected to us (a soul) after we become worm food is based on one thing, faith. Faith can never be proven, it can never be substantiated, it can only be believed in.

A secular humanist wants human being to have the best life possible here on earth, as we know that it is the only life we have.

Your focusing on your god and not on this world is a danger to us and future generations. It is people like you who don't care what happens to this one place we all share, earth. I want my children and grandchildren to have a better earth than my forefathers left me. Right now it doesn't look like they will get that, but I care, and I care for humanity in the here and now.

Not some make believe fantasy first postulated by some intinterant, uneducated, superstitious bronze age goat herders telling stories around desert campfires. We know better now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default There's more there than just the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
America is founded on capitalism...we say religion because it sounds more civil.
I think of capitalism as an economic system. The US doesn't merely run on economics. Is there a belief system that underlies capitalism?

Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I think of capitalism as an economic system. The US doesn't merely run on economics. Is there a belief system that underlies capitalism?

Yep - greed.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
And there is the danger, maybe not you, but people who think like you.

When humanity is relegated to second place, humans suffer. Any faith based existence of an entity that was connected to us (a soul) after we become worm food is based on one thing, faith. Faith can never be proven, it can never be substantiated, it can only be believed in.

A secular humanist wants human being to have the best life possible here on earth, as we know that it is the only life we have.

Your focusing on your god and not on this world is a danger to us and future generations. It is people like you who don't care what happens to this one place we all share, earth. I want my children and grandchildren to have a better earth than my forefathers left me. Right now it doesn't look like they will get that, but I care, and I care for humanity in the here and now.

Not some make believe fantasy first postulated by some intinterant, uneducated, superstitious bronze age goat herders telling stories around desert campfires. We know better now.
I don't have to wait until I'm six feet under to be connected- I already am thru His Holy Spirit in my heart. You are free to make fun of me, but that will only reveal who you are. Hope I'm wrong about you, but I've experienced so many non believers who get pleasure out of making fun of my Faith. It certainly says more about them than me.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I don't have to wait until I'm six feet under to be connected- I already am thru His Holy Spirit in my heart. You are free to make fun of me, but that will only reveal who you are. Hope I'm wrong about you, but I've experienced so many non believers who get pleasure out of making fun of my Faith. It certainly says more about them than me.
Faith is believing something you hope for, but can never demonstrate it exists. If it makes you feel better, fill your boots, but do NOT try and impose your beliefs on society. As I stated, the trouble with those the care about a supposed afterlife, and not about the here and now, are the ones who cause the destruction and degradation of our environment.

It is the thinking that some god gave nature to be exploited that has caused it to be used in an unsustainable manner. I decry that type of thinking. I will rebel against that, and if people insist it is "their right", I will denounce, degrade, mock and use any other means to constrain that thinking.

If you fit into that role, you will be part of those I mock and make fun of.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Faith is believing something you hope for, but can never demonstrate it exists. If it makes you feel better, fill your boots, but do NOT try and impose your beliefs on society.
Some people may not realize voting and/or how they rear their children is considered imposing their beliefs on society.

Quote:
As I stated, the trouble with those the care about a supposed afterlife, and not about the here and now, are the ones who cause the destruction and degradation of our environment.
Where did you get the stats for this statement?

Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Thinking too far out of the box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The founding fathers were cool with slavery and oppressing women, so who cares?

Times change and we all evolve. Our society and system of government evolve as well.

Lucky for us, we have a system for change in place.

Religion has no place in government.
That's too broad - Jefferson (& other Founding Fathers) knew that slavery would be an issue, even though he held slaves himself. Yes, the near-chattel status of women in general then & there was an issue - much as it is in the devoutly religious Islamic countries now, for the same reason - half of the population isn't able to rise to the limits of their ability in education, politics, science, technology, business, medicine, etc. But other than a handful of queens & other royalty, British society didn't seem concerned about the status of women in general - that didn't become an issue until the suffragette movement in UK & in the US.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Where did you get the stats for this statement?
Here you go.

https://ac.els-cdn.com/S0160791X1400...4df04f344c4c7a

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/05...limate-change/

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...m-green-dragon

Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
He was a deist.
de·ism
/ˈdēˌizəm,ˈdāˌizəm/
noun

belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. The term is used chiefly of an intellectual movement of the 17th and 18th centuries that accepted the existence of a creator on the basis of reason but rejected belief in a supernatural deity who interacts with humankind.

I strongly suspect that in today's world Paine would be an atheist, or at least, an agnostic. Him and I could have great conversations, after all, his "Age of Reason" was a long way towards that already. Let's not forget, unlike you or me, he was a public figure in a superstitious society. That superstitious group is getting less and less in the western world.
Now YOU are "sidestepping".
You said your "spidey senses" helped you to determine that Paine did not say what I pasted in my post. You asked for a reference. I gave a citation...asked you what you thought of it.
THIS is the question...Do you still believe that Paine did not say what I posted him as saying? Yes or No? How accurate were your "spidey senses" about that?
That was a favorite thing of those guys...inculcate children with the belief in a Supreme Being, a God, a Creator. The foundation of most all theologies.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Some people may not realize voting and/or how they rear their children is considered imposing their beliefs on society.
That's true, but unlike religious indoctrination, it's the only system that seems possible. The other (State childrearing) is an idea that strikes Horror into the heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality