Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times

Advertisements

Well, why not take a look?

America Is a Christian Nation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
I can see this being a lively thread. And I have seen pretty much all the attempts to argue that the founding fathers were Christians who DID intend America to be based on Christianity as a religion (I would accept that they may have thought it was a good moral basis and of course they accepted that God was real and had made everything).

In the end I would conclude that America is not a nation founded on Christianity, but it is a nation Full of Christianity.

Now over to you lot.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:01 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Well, why not take a look?

America Is a Christian Nation
Are the (supreme) laws of that country based on the code of Hammurabi?

Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Who cares what the founding fathers intended, or what religion they practiced? Time moves on, and the people of today are not required to live as their ancestors did 250 years ago.

If we actually tried to be consistent and apply that as a standard, we end up with some absurd results:

America is a slave owning nation;
Ireland is a nation of absentee landlords and Irish tenant farmers;
South Africa is a sometimes English, sometimes Dutch colony with an independent Zulu nation;
The western part of America is a bunch of truly sovereign Indian nations;
Australia is a prison colony;
Germany is a collection of counties and city states ruled by nobility;
France is a nation that beheads its nobility in a reign of terror...

I think you can see the point. The world was very different 250 years ago, and by and large we do not feel obligated to live in that manner now, and would consider it to be a negative in many ways.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:20 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post

Actually, they are based on Roman Empire laws. Pretty much, entire modern legal system is deeply rooted in that. Being the baddest a.. in the world for thousand years, copied many times but never duplicated entirely, leaves lots of influence and heritage in followers.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Most states had their own official religion. No, the union wasn't a big Christian nation, but each state could decide for themselves, without the federal government dictating.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I can see this being a lively thread. And I have seen pretty much all the attempts to argue that the founding fathers were Christians who DID intend America to be based on Christianity as a religion (I would accept that they may have thought it was a good moral basis and of course they accepted that God was real and had made everything).

In the end I would conclude that America is not a nation founded on Christianity, but it is a nation Full of Christianity.

Now over to you lot.
Very well stated.

The hand wringing and radicalization and vehemence we see from a large portion of Christians in the USA is that they see their influence, overall (Trump notwithstanding) declining, and what is left are the fundamentalists in many cases.

They don't like the fact that society is changing. They don't like the fact that the face of America is changing, faster on the coasts, slower in the "fly over" States and the deep South. But changing it is.

They grasp for anything that substantiates their beliefs. Sady. One can have conservative perspectives fiscally, (I do) yet understand human rights extends to ALL humans, even if they do not look like me, or are sexually oriented like me, or even if they are not an atheist like me.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
As opposed to?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Most states had their own official religion. No, the union wasn't a big Christian nation, but each state could decide for themselves, without the federal government dictating.
You are wrong.

In Emerson vs the Board of Education, SCOTUS ruled as following:
"The 'establishment of religion' clause of the First Amendment means at least this: Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions or prefer one religion over another. Neither can force nor influence a person to go to or to remain away from church against his will or force him to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion."

Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Does it matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality