Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 03:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,974,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Now all you have to do is explain what quarks are made of.
Quarks might be a fundamental particle. In other words, quarks might be made up of quarks. Or not. Maybe they are made up of sub-quarks, or sub-sub-quarks.

It is of no significant concern. Ultimately, we know matter exists, and we know information is a way of measuring, quantifying and describing matter. We know that this is directly related to reality, and your description is not.

Would you care to try and show us how your description more completely and effectively describes the universe in a verifiable, falsifiable manner?

Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM

8,189 posts, read 3,381,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Quarks might be a fundamental particle. In other words, quarks might be made up of quarks. Or not. Maybe they are made up of sub-quarks, or sub-sub-quarks.

It is of no significant concern. Ultimately, we know matter exists, and we know information is a way of measuring, quantifying and describing matter. We know that this is directly related to reality, and your description is not.

Would you care to try and show us how your description more completely and effectively describes the universe in a verifiable, falsifiable manner?
You think it is not important to know what matter is, when you say you believe everything is matter.

I don't try to describe the universe completely and effectively, because no one can do that. You think you can.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Quarks are energetic vibrating bits variously described as closed loops or open ended strings. In much the same way that light can be described as both discrete particles and waves.
What are those energetic vibrating bits vibrating in?

Old 10-19-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
You think it is not important to know what matter is, when you say you believe everything is matter.

I don't try to describe the universe completely and effectively, because no one can do that. You think you can.
Ok. So you deny that you, me, and the chairs we are sitting on, the food we eat, and the clothing we wear are made of matter. What are they made if?

As to your second sentence, do you really think it reasonable to make a positive assertion about the universe, then refuse to defend it?

It seems to me that you are saying that you know what the universe is like, but refuse to support it, but because I can only answer 19 of 20 levels of “why is the sky blue?” I am wrong.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:35 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,732,746 times
Quote:
A unified consciousness field.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,803,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You are still missing the point. If I may posit an analogy, you are like someone arguing that car engines are driven by invisible gnomes. We explain how an engine works, and you say that combustion drives the engine, sure, you're not denying that, but we can't explain combustion. We then explain how the molecular reaction of fossil fuel, air and sparks causes a power -producing reaction, and you say that we don't know what molecules are, and when we explain, you say we don't know what particles are, and so on (1).
Do you recall someone else that used to do that!

Old 10-20-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Which is another proposition you advance on faith, with no supporting evidence, or even a proposal as to what the characteristics of such a filed might be.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:19 AM

50,081 posts, read 20,523,846 times
Quote:

Yes, it's quite important, in an academic way. It is not in the least bit important in making a case for a cosmic consciousness, because it is an Unknown, not known evidence for a god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Do you recall someone else that used to do that!
I know a couple of people who do it now

In fact this is the sortagoddist argument. When they can't rely on the Bible anymore as 'evidence'. They try to do it from ID arguments. And as we see, that seems to rely on ignoring everything we do know (which demonstrably does not need a god) and try to find something we don't know, and pretend a god MUST be lurking in there. I don't know how these people can't see what a crap argument that is.

Or rather, I can. I know very well. They have Faith that a god exists and think that what atheism has to do is explain and prove absolutely everything that happens or ever happened and only then can we say "We Know that no God exists". So of course, they only have to find something we can't explain, and they think that validates Faith in a Sorta "God". This isn't the argument at all and is wrong logically and evidentially.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: 'logically', not 'locally'.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,332,610 times
Quote:
Fluctuating spacetime physicists refer to as the quantum foam.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.