Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM

241 posts, read 95,101 times

Advertisements

excuse unedited cell phone grammar

new age, a form of spirituality that derived from eastern religious practices, has several different forms of beliefs, ranging from everything from astrology to spiritual growth.

some forms of new age represent a selfless spiritual path that bares similarites to the teachings of christianity and bhuddism ; while others are more narcissistic, requiring one to have the most candles, mint soaps and meditation time, which accumulates karma power into a sort of "karma bank account". this karma bank account tends to decide a persons fate, afterlife, health and the success of their portfolio.

it is interesting to note that many christians often mix elements of other religions such as eastern philopshy. some even suggest that christianity and eastern religions exchanged teachings and ideas on various ancient trade routes through the middle east and asia

as a non- denominational christian , i do not have a bad opinon of new age or any other religions or faiths. in fact, i am glad that the constitution, which advocates one to freely adhere to any religion, is not only relevant, but cherished amongst the cultural melting pots that dwell in the united states

edgar cayce, a figure synonmous with new age, was a person who was a follower of jesus before he became reknown for his readings.

although i am not too familar with cayce, it is interesting to note that cayce advocated or reiterated many things found in the new testament.

while others judge modern chrstians for there beliefs, i dont for the simple fact that jesus taught to refrain from judgement as paul did in romans chapter 14.

edgar cayce,one of the influences of new age, was qouted as saying:
" Meditate, oft. Separate thyself for a season from the cares of the world. Get close to nature and learn from the lowliest of that which manifests in nature, in the earth; in the birds, in the trees, in the grass, in the flowers, in the bees; that the life of each is a manifesting, is a song of glory to its Maker. And do thou likewise!"

as a christian, i dont regard the edgar cayce qoute as bad

jesus was qouted as saying this:

" Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Last edited by spiros7; 10-18-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 08:24 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I think that new age spiritual and religious practices are just as valid, and just as ridiculous, as any other religion.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I think that new age spiritual and religious practices are just as valid, and just as ridiculous, as any other religion.
i as well. jesus says to pray to him;on the other hand, denoninations advocate the intercession of saints as a method of reaching jesus for prayer. why do i need to pray to saints who are mere mortal men? why confess to a man when i can confess to god with the door closed.

i am do not oppose or segregate from people with other beliefs.

jesus said this:

" Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."

Old 10-18-2018, 08:46 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post

new age, a form of spirituality that derived from eastern religious practices, has several different forms of beliefs, ranging from everything from astrology to spiritual growth.

some forms of new age represent a selfless spiritual path that bares similarites to the teachings of christianity and bhuddism ; while others are more narcissistic, requiring one to have the most candles, mint soaps and meditation time, which accumulates karma power into a sort of "karma bank account". this karma bank account tends to decide a persons fate, afterlife, health and the success of their portfolio.

it is interesting to note that many christians often mix elements of other religions such as eastern philopshy. some even suggest that christianity and eastern religions exchanged teachings and ideas on various ancient trade routes through the middle east and asia

as a non- denominational christian , i do not have a bad opinon of new age or any other religions or faiths. in fact, i am glad that the constitution, which advocates one to freely adhere to any religion, is not only relevant, but cherished amongst the cultural melting pots that dwell in the united states

edgar cayce, a figure synonmous with new age, was a person who was a follower of jesus before he became reknown for his readings.

although i am not too familar with cayce, it is interesting to note that cayce advocated or reiterated many things found in the new testament.

while others judge modern chrstians for there beliefs, i dont for the simple fact that jesus taught to refrain from judgement as paul did in romans chapter 14.

" Meditate, oft. Separate thyself for a season from the cares of the world. Get close to nature and learn from the lowliest of that which manifests in nature, in the earth; in the birds, in the trees, in the grass, in the flowers, in the bees; that the life of each is a manifesting, is a song of glory to its Maker. And do thou likewise!"

" Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

The above "quote from Jesus" is found in John 14:17. The Gospel According to John was written near the beginning of the second century, 60-70 years after Jesus was executed, by an individual that almost certainly never met Jesus. Papias referred to him as "the presbyter John." Someone Papias was personally acquainted with in the second century.

To answer your question on New Age, Mormonism and Scientology can also be considered "New Age." Nonsense is nonsense no matter what age it is from.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
i as well. jesus says to pray to him;on the other hand, denoninations advocate the intercession of saints as a method of reaching jesus for prayer. why do i need to pray to saints who are mere mortal men? why confess to a man when i can confess to god with the door closed.

i am do not oppose or segregate from people with other beliefs.

jesus said this:

" Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:
4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him."
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I find Christianity and belief in Jesus Christ as a divine being to be ridiculous as well.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:03 AM

i am not too familar with edgar cayce, a major influence of the new age belief system. it is interesting to note that many denominational christians---including catholics and baptists---were polled to cofess that they also meditate at home, believe in reincarnation, and read books from other religions. jesus taught not to judge. he also taught not to judge by physical standards as paul reiterated in chapter 14 of romans

bible:

John 7:23-24 (KJV)
23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matthew 11:18-19 (KJV)
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil.
19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM

in these verses, jesus implies that one will be judged by their intentions in regards to others:

Matthew 12:34-37 (KJV)
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:11 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
I was very much into New Age in the 1980s. I had studied comparative religion and anthropology, and I was looking for what all religions and spiritual traditions have in common. I also became interested in holistic philosophy and alternative science at that time.

I am glad for all that I learned from being involved in New Age spirituality. Except I gradually got away from it and have stopped thinking of myself as a New Ager. I don't like the fact that they seem to deny everything negative. They don't seem able to deal with what I think is the reality -- you can't have light without darkness.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:13 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:

New Age is a wide range of spiritual, religious and belief practices. Edgar Caycee is not relevant to all New Agers.

The New Age movement seems to have come to prominence during the 1970's, after the feel-good 60's.

Most religions have long-standing algorithms/tenets...with New Age, one can wing it however one desires.

Interestingly, some New Age movements are strongly diametrically opposed to any structured religion. You can see this in action on C-D's Christianity forum.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The above "quote from Jesus" is found in John 14:17. The Gospel According to John was written near the beginning of the second century, 60-70 years after Jesus was executed, by an individual that almost certainly never met Jesus. Papias referred to him as "the presbyter John." Someone Papias was personally acquainted with in the second century.

To answer your question on New Age, Mormonism and Scientology can also be considered "New Age." Nonsense is nonsense no matter what age it is from.

well, it may be nonsense to you. but what about the believer who chooses to believe because he is endowed with the individual freedom to believe. only autocrats who think they are intellectually superior seem to condemn those with such beliefs.

my rebuttal to non- tolerant secularists is this: nobody can prove or disprove the possibilty of a creator

. that may be subjectively ignorant to scientist; on the other hand, it may be philosphically satisfying for people who are not sure for the reason of their existence

Last edited by spiros7; 10-18-2018 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality