Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:11 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah, I understand the debate. What is obvious is that all those pagan beliefs can in fact be linked to Christianity, and Christians have even taken on pagan ways, but not the ways of Jesus. Again, Adam taught his son, and he even taught Noah, it had already been known before you came along, the truth was always known, it is no secret that all people share the common bloodline going back to the sons of Noah and those sons of Noah spread their stories all over the globe and the common links found all over the globe only prove that all people came from the same region to then spread out with tneir original truth. We find the story of Noah amongst ancient people before Jesus ever came along, we find the story of Noah EVERYWHERE, and all this does is to trace people back to the same region in stemming from the same people, the same vamilh, we already know this and so why would we be surprized if bits of the truth was found amongst all people, amongst all religions that stem from the same original truth?

The fact that all those pagan religions have the same common thread IS NOT EVIDENCE AGAINST GOD, IT IS EVIDENCE FOR GOD.
What exactly are the "true ways of Jesus?" You are limited to the same sources of information that everyone else is. And those sources have been provided by individuals who clearly never met Jesus (Paul, Mark), or who can't actually be identified (the authors of Matthew, Luke and John). The "true Jesus" never set down in writing his "true thoughts," and as a result his "true thoughts" and beliefs simply are not available for us to know.

Judeo/Christianity represents the amalgamation of ancient pagan beliefs that eventually succeeded in out competing the other ancient religions. At least until the rise of Islam. And just like all of the other religions, still active or now defunct, those who genuinely believe in them do so unconditionally.

Unwavering devotion to a belief does not translate into "true ways," I am afraid. Which is why religions come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:21 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know I wasn't spoonfed anything, Arq! The ACTUAL Christ narrative is an advancement on the Buddhist one and Jesus is the Maitreya that Buddha predicted 500 years earlier would supersede his achievement of Maitri. Jesus maintained Matiri (love for all including His torturers and murderers) and truly remained indifferent to the enormous scourging and crucifixion that took His life. Try to tell me that Buddha displayed that level of perfection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Virtually no Buddhist would accept your fantasy. And I HATE it when christians try to co-opt other religions. Shame on you.
I am not co-opting anything. Jesus just fulfilled Buddha's prediction. If you disagree, tell me what Bodhisattva has achieved anything close to Christ's achievement of Maitri and indifference to external consequences.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 PM

50,812 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
I am not co-opting anything. Jesus just fulfilled Buddha's prediction. If you disagree, tell me what Bodhisattva has achieved anything close to Christ's achievement of Maitri and indifference to external consequences.
It isn't a contest.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:12 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
this is what jesus said:.
Quote:
he did say this:
No. It's what people CLAIMED he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
No,

And there is no reason to encourage fiction ole friend.
BOOM! Irony explosion!

Old 10-22-2018, 11:18 PM

23,154 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
What exactly are the "true ways of Jesus?" You are limited to the same sources of information that everyone else is. And those sources have been provided by individuals who clearly never met Jesus (Paul, Mark), or who can't actually be identified (the authors of Matthew, Luke and John). The "true Jesus" never set down in writing his "true thoughts," and as a result his "true thoughts" and beliefs simply are not available for us to know.

Judeo/Christianity represents the amalgamation of ancient pagan beliefs that eventually succeeded in out competing the other ancient religions. At least until the rise of Islam. And just like all of the other religions, still active or now defunct, those who genuinely believe in them do so unconditionally.

Unwavering devotion to a belief does not translate into "true ways," I am afraid. Which is why religions come and go.
The words of Jesus prove who he was because he spoke in a language that you do not know and you don't know that it was a legal verifiable language.

Your Opinion is that you would believe any religion above the bible because the bible writes all of history that you do not want to accept, and you would rather accept any other pagan religion above what the bible says is true.

I believe somebody NO DOUBT that every religion came from the same source, and you would rather have the original source be any other source but the bible because the bible is the main source, and the people of the bible are the original fathers of all religions....In my good opinion, but also that God told us that he has gone to every nation. Before Moses there were other Deliverers to other nations, God has always been in all the nations and he tells us this, he brought Israel from Egypt but he had done the same with other nations before Moses was born.

NOTHING can stand next to the written word and I have looked.

There is no other book to compare with the bible, and there are no people in history that can be compared with the people of the bible and their history.....

THERE IS no one that we can compare the Jews to, there have been no other people whose history and future was set down in concrete and then fulfilled. There is no other people to compare because no other people have followed God, no other people have been so hated for so many thousands of years, and no other people lost their land, their language and their kingdom to then regain their land, their language and their nation.

There isn't any other religions to compare the bible with any other written codex ANYWHERE, there isn't any other people whose past, present and future has been written down and fulfilled as the chosen people chosen to be refined in a fire to come out as gold.

This is why the bible is in debate, and why you are not in the paganism forum, or the Islam forum, or ANY OTHER FORUM.

Your debate is with a foundation when there are no other foundations to be built upon, and that is why Atheist MUST confront bible believers, nothing else compares.

There is no comparison.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-22-2018 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiros7 View Post
as a christian, i dont believe in being pharisaic
Instead of starting new threads daily, why don't you deal with the questions that are waiting for you in the threads you have already started?

post #22
the wife of pilate experienced nightmares

Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
You know I wasn't spoonfed anything, Arq! The ACTUAL Christ narrative is an advancement on the Buddhist one and Jesus is the Maitreya that Buddha predicted 500 years earlier would supersede his achievement of Maitri. Jesus maintained Matiri (love for all including His torturers and murderers) and truly remained indifferent to the enormous scourging and crucifixion that took His life. Try to tell me that Buddha displayed that level of perfection.
Buddhism did all that before. Buddha's suffering to death's door before he realised that taught us nothing, but respect (rather than this cloying 'Love' that comes across as lecturing, bullying, abuse and attempts to control, thanks very much) for life - all life - and not damning your enemies to hell - is better than Christianity. I have heard of Buddhists sacrificing themselves, but never of burning witches. And the idea of working it out for yourself rather than just accepting what you are told to believe out of fear of burning in hell is much better. And you know that's true old mate, because, while you call yourself a Christian, you cherry picked it to make it palatable, tossing the bits you couldn't stomach into the bin.

You had to cherry pick the religion to get it anywhere near Buddhism, and even then it doesn't match up.

And we all in the West were spoonfed Christianity. I was, You were, Rafius was. We all were. We all gave it up, You, Me, Raffs. You had an experience (which i accept) and you Interpreted it in Christian terms. If you's been in a different culture, you'd have interpreted it differently. And even then you had to adapt it to enable yourself to swallow it.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I'm glad that you mentioned that. In Mahayana Buddhism, Boddhisattvas are potential Buddhas that put off Nirvana so they can help others to achieve it. effectively like saints, except that saints are enjoying all the benefits of heaven while just scurrying to God with special requests from their own particular devotees, as though God didn't know all the prayers and requests from those devotees before he even began creation. What a lousy system, and you know it, too, because you don't believe that.

well, I don't believe Bodhisattvas either which is why I did Theravada. so it comes down to this Maitreya claim of yours. I have to say thati am not much impressed by this wide agape love that Jesus is supposed to have taught, which seems to preach lecturing and faith-claims,while i rather see it as reason and tolerance. No stick or carrot, no faith-claims and rhetorical fiddling. Reason. Maitreya isn't a fat little man with a big grin, but the next stage for Thinking man, Reasoning man. And women, too.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The words of Jesus prove who he was because he spoke in a language that you do not know and you don't know that it was a legal verifiable language.

Your Opinion is that you would believe any religion above the bible because the bible writes all of history that you do not want to accept, and you would rather accept any other pagan religion above what the bible says is true.

I believe somebody NO DOUBT that every religion came from the same source, and you would rather have the original source be any other source but the bible because the bible is the main source, and the people of the bible are the original fathers of all religions....In my good opinion, but also that God told us that he has gone to every nation. Before Moses there were other Deliverers to other nations, God has always been in all the nations and he tells us this, he brought Israel from Egypt but he had done the same with other nations before Moses was born.

NOTHING can stand next to the written word and I have looked.

There is no other book to compare with the bible, and there are no people in history that can be compared with the people of the bible and their history.....

THERE IS no one that we can compare the Jews to, there have been no other people whose history and future was set down in concrete and then fulfilled. There is no other people to compare because no other people have followed God, no other people have been so hated for so many thousands of years, and no other people lost their land, their language and their kingdom to then regain their land, their language and their nation.

There isn't any other religions to compare the bible with any other written codex ANYWHERE, there isn't any other people whose past, present and future has been written down and fulfilled as the chosen people chosen to be refined in a fire to come out as gold.

This is why the bible is in debate, and why you are not in the paganism forum, or the Islam forum, or ANY OTHER FORUM.

Your debate is with a foundation when there are no other foundations to be built upon, and that is why Atheist MUST confront bible believers, nothing else compares.

There is no comparison.
I can't agree. Christianity was simply dumped on Judaism to supplant it. Buddhism did the same with Hinduism. I've already given my reasons why i see Buddhism as superior. Certainly more appealing.

And I rather think that the Bible is demonstrably unreliable, new and Old T. The reason that we are even discussing it is because it became the religion of Rome and was peddled to the rest of Europe and then to America, using sword, rack and bonfire. You think crusades only went to the east? You can invent an elaborate system of hidden meanings. You can invent whatever you like. You can even try to persuade others of it.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:37 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Follow the Old Testament, abandon your family, eternal torture in hell?

That is an advance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality