Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:17 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,388,503 times

Advertisements

Robert Sapolsky, an atheist, explains the mental and physical health benefits of religion.

Of course, he thinks religion is all wishful thinking nonsense. But he says 95% of humans have religious beliefs, and they are on average better off because of it.

NO, we should not become religious to improve our health!! That would be impossible. Pretending to believe would have no effect.

NO, we should not advocate religion because it's good for you. We should NOT believe in lies just to makes ourselves feel better.

ON THE OTHER HAND -- if we have religious beliefs because of reason and evidence and experience, then we should be glad that it's good for us.

AND, it would be nice if atheists stop their crusading and indoctrination of young people. You are not doing anyone any good. You are not ridding the world of something stupid and destructive. You are imposing your personal beliefs on people who are too ignorant to see your logical errors. And you are causing them harm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldj11NEsc0

Old 10-26-2018, 10:01 PM

50,354 posts, read 23,934,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Robert Sapolsky, an atheist, explains the mental and physical health benefits of religion.

Of course, he thinks religion is all wishful thinking nonsense. But he says 95% of humans have religious beliefs, and they are on average better off because of it.

NO, we should not become religious to improve our health!! That would be impossible. Pretending to believe would have no effect.

NO, we should not advocate religion because it's good for you. We should NOT believe in lies just to makes ourselves feel better.

ON THE OTHER HAND -- if we have religious beliefs because of reason and evidence and experience, then we should be glad that it's good for us.

AND, it would be nice if atheists stop their crusading and indoctrination of young people. You are not doing anyone any good. You are not ridding the world of something stupid and destructive. You are imposing your personal beliefs on people who are too ignorant to see your logical errors. And you are causing them harm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oldj11NEsc0
We're probably willing to make a deal with you -- you christians stop indoctrinating young people, and we will, too...except, of course, we don't to begin with. So please don't talk about ignorance when you cannot see your own.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,039,332 times
Depending on the circumstances, having lots of dumb people to be manipulated by a handful of smart people is, as is also the case, an evolutionary advantage for one population over another population full of smart people competing against each other without time to notice incoming and growing encroachments from the "lots of cannon fodder" population.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:49 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,058,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We're probably willing to make a deal with you -- you christians stop indoctrinating young people, and we will, too...except, of course, we don't to begin with. So please don't talk about ignorance when you cannot see your own.
But then again, it will all boil down to Darwin’s theory that the growing kids are indoctrinated with.

Perhaps our academic school books should have a fair balance of presenting both camps where Darwin’s theory should be taught as a THEORY only and not a fact.

And then the very large community of highly qualified scientists that has a critique on Darwin’s THEORY, and it does NOT agree with Darwin, should also have their say?

Do you think Smithsonian will allow it?

Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,809,395 times
Quote:

“The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”

― George Bernard Shaw,

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-27-2018 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Replaced missing quote tag

Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 PM

50,354 posts, read 23,934,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But then again, it will all boil down to Darwin’s theory that the growing kids are indoctrinated with.

Perhaps our academic school books should have a fair balance of presenting both camps where Darwin’s theory should be taught as a THEORY only and not a fact. And then the very large community of highly qualified community of scientists that has a critique on Darwin’s, and it does NOT agree with Darwin, should also have their say?

Having been an earth science teacher, and having taught evolution...it was always taught as a theory.

But, if you really think kids today are indoctrinated with Darwin's theory...which btw has evolved so much that it shouldn't be called that...go up to the next everyday teenager and ask them to give you a 3 minute description of the theory. Just like most of those ranting against it can't explain it (just deplorable), neither can most of those who you think are indoctrinated.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:19 AM

16,609 posts, read 4,895,013 times
Quote:

Only in parts of the world. And are the marginal benefits from religion, or is it something else that the religious benefit from.

Quote:
AND, it would be nice if atheists stop their crusading and indoctrination of young people.
Yes, let us stop thinking and just believe without evidence. Great plan.

Quote:
You are not doing anyone any good. You are not ridding the world of something stupid and destructive.
9/11.
Sunni Shia wars.
The Catholic condom ban in South Africa.
The attacks and killings of homosexuals because religious books says it is the thing to do.
The attacks and killings of atheists for the same reason.
The people who believe in prayer over medical treatment, even after the patient dies because of lack of medical help.
The need to lie to oneself because of lack of evidence for your religious belief.

But if you think the resurrection of dead fish is not a stupid belief. we can not help your irrational world view.

Quote:
You are imposing your personal beliefs on people who are too ignorant to see your logical errors.
Errors you have not identified. And if we do make logical errors, you would be in that group of the ignorant. Because ignoring over 150 years of science as you do is NOT rational.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:09 AM

7,582 posts, read 4,126,454 times
I don't think I know any atheists outside of City-data. So I can't share my experience with atheists.

But I do know and interact with many religious people. Some have a more positive attitude than I do and live a healthier life than I do. They have many more relationships and a wider social network, for example. However, there are many religious people who suffer more than I do, especially in their relationships, which can then impact their physical health.

So what exactly could cause religious people to live a healthier life as you say? Well, one skill that is helpful to have is conflict resolution. I believe people who possess good skills in this area have healthier lives, because it allows them to obtain what they need while maintaining relationships with others.

A particular strategy to getting past conflict is to take a step back and find common ground. Perhaps falling back to something familiar such as religion can assist with this and can help get past the conflict. So it is not religion that is the source of health but the fact that it can be used as a common starting point in order to resolve a conflict.

A non-religious person, such as myself, cannot fall back on religion, but since it is just a strategy in conflict resolution, I am not doomed to an unhealthy life. I can just use a different starting point and I have done this many times with my religious friends.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I never said I was a Christian. There is more than one religion in the world.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Perhaps our academic school books should have a fair balance of presenting both camps where Darwin’s theory should be taught as a THEORY only and not a fact.

And then the very large community of highly qualified scientists that has a critique on Darwin’s THEORY, and it does NOT agree with Darwin, should also have their say?

It really has to happen eventually, as more evidence is found against simple-minded Darwinism.

The alternative evolution theories are compatible with spiritual beliefs. It's about time the illusion ends that science and spirituality are in conflict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality