U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2018, 08:19 PM
Status: "Merry and bright." (set 16 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,989 posts, read 12,408,845 times
Reputation: 10970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Still less than my parents generation and they faced less than their parents.

I can relate, slightly. Because I spoke Ukrainian as a youngster, although born in Canada of parents born in Canada, I was labeled a "DP" - a Displaced Person from WWII. I didn't realize it was an epithet until I was much older though. I was raised in a strict Catholic household in the 50s and 60s and went to Catholic schools through 10th Grade. I did not learn about Jewish hatred until I studied History in school and learned about Hitler and the death camps.



The only people who can honestly answer the OP are people who hate Jews. I don't think there are any regular R&S posters whom I would place in that category, although I have seen a handful pass through over the years and make veiled references that left little doubt as to their prejudice.

 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:08 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
18,363 posts, read 17,555,761 times
Reputation: 30761
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I can relate, slightly. Because I spoke Ukrainian as a youngster, although born in Canada of parents born in Canada, I was labeled a "DP" - a Displaced Person from WWII. I didn't realize it was an epithet until I was much older though. I was raised in a strict Catholic household in the 50s and 60s and went to Catholic schools through 10th Grade. I did not learn about Jewish hatred until I studied History in school and learned about Hitler and the death camps.



The only people who can honestly answer the OP are people who hate Jews. I don't think there are any regular R&S posters whom I would place in that category, although I have seen a handful pass through over the years and make veiled references that left little doubt as to their prejudice.
I don't know about that. We are trying to find out what this hatred of Jews is based upon. To me that means based upon originally, historically. Any present day person who hates Jews will have his/her own reasons.

I always heard that the more current reasons (meaning modern day, in general) would be jealousy of their wealth, feeling like an outsider, Jews were money lenders who charged interest, that sort of thing. But I also read one time that the reason they lived in cities and lent money was that they were not allowed to own land.

Okay, so going way back in time, why were they not allowed to own land? And what about before that? What started this? The Roman Catholics and the Jews being at odds way back in time? Is that where it originated? (It wasn't Protestants because they didn't exist yet.)
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:20 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: New York Area
13,766 posts, read 5,437,702 times
Reputation: 10993
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
A group that is distinct, that refuses to assimilate and lose itself and is proud of its unique identity and practices. Add in some success in a variety of areas, or the ability to live where others have died, and the rejection of all the johnny come lately belief systems, and then mix in some land arguments, and you have loads of reasons to hate. As if hate needs a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Basically, being different and "not like us" and persisting in this. Normally, this gives pretty good grounds to the crowd to become suspicious of the bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
As others said, there is a natural tendency for distrusting or hating groups who are different, and the bible could be used as an excuse.
Basically, these snippets from three posts, in my view, sum it up. Other minority groups such as African-Americans and Muslims are demonized as well. However, in the case of the Jews, they are successful at joining societies where they need or want to and yet, to quote rosends, "is proud of its unique identity and practices."The Jewish people have a strong work, education and family ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Jews have been hated since before they were called Jews. Check in the first couple of chapters of Exodus.
The world has had a tortured relationship with the Jewish people and faith since the days of the Pharaohs of Egypt. See David Nirenberg’s excellent book, Anti-Judaism: The Western Tradition, reviewed here in Tablet Magazine and here in the New Republic, about this relationship. He explains that much of the hatred was directed at theoretical Jews by people who had never met a real one. The Pharaohnic hatred of the Jews led them to create a parallel myth to the Exodus story, to the effect that they gave the Hebrews the boot, not the other way around.
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 PM
 
4,435 posts, read 1,867,556 times
Reputation: 12545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I never in all my years, being surrounded by Christians, ever knew or met any Christian who ever said a single negative thing about the Jewish people.
Me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I grew up in a smallish town that was about 1/3 mainstream Protestant, 1/3 Roman Catholic, and 1/3 Jewish. I never heard anything against Jews either.

However, my Catholic best friend said I would go to Hell because I wasn't Catholic. That hurt but we remained friends until they sent her off to Catholic School and I never saw her again.

.
Must be older...I did a full Catholic school education (K-12) and never heard of this.

FYI- not saying I don't believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i believe you.

i am also pointing out that you have been around people like that here on CD, and you continue to be around people like that here on CD. because they are still posting in threads you participate in. Again, not a reflection in any way on you.

but if someone is not the target of the behavior, they are often oblivious to it going on by people in their very circle that they interact with regularly.

hate leads to violence.
it is that simple.
those who "justify" hate incite violence.
those who teach children to hate incite violence.
those who say "it's deserved" incite violence.
Could you please lead us to an example of these hate posts? I read most of CD and outright hate posts?
 
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 PM
 
12,650 posts, read 13,264,666 times
Reputation: 8993
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Me as well.
Must be older...I did a full Catholic school education (K-12) and never heard of this.
FYI- not saying I don't believe you.
Could you please lead us to an example of these hate posts? I read most of CD and outright hate posts?
they are reported and removed.
of course your comment "not saying i don't believe you" applies to me as well, right? "smiley face"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2018 at 10:06 PM..
 
Old 10-28-2018, 10:03 PM
 
12,650 posts, read 13,264,666 times
Reputation: 8993
"normalizing" hate against a group (for instance Netflix "comedy" show "Kill all the Jews")
stating "it's not so bad" or "it's getting better" (seen that on this thread already)
denying it is a problem "around here" (seen that on this thread already)
having "reasons" makes it "OK"
minimizing or dismissing or ignoring or denying it is happening (seen all that on this thread already)
"it's always gone on" subtext so that makes it OK" (seen that on this thread already)
"they must have done something to deserve it"
"they bring it on themselves"


all those contribute to "normalizing" hate
and hate leads to violence
and inciting hate (including caustic comments on a forum like this) leads to inciting violence
 
Old 10-28-2018, 10:52 PM
 
12,650 posts, read 13,264,666 times
Reputation: 8993
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know about that. We are trying to find out what this hatred of Jews is based upon. To me that means based upon originally, historically. Any present day person who hates Jews will have his/her own reasons.

I always heard that the more current reasons (meaning modern day, in general) would be jealousy of their wealth, feeling like an outsider, Jews were money lenders who charged interest, that sort of thing. But I also read one time that the reason they lived in cities and lent money was that they were not allowed to own land.

Okay, so going way back in time, why were they not allowed to own land? And what about before that? What started this? The Roman Catholics and the Jews being at odds way back in time? Is that where it originated? (It wasn't Protestants because they didn't exist yet.)
yes looking at history is a way to learn more and better understand.
here are a few historic notes addressing what you asked including quote from Martin Luther
Why The Jews? The Patterns of Persecution - Simon Wiesenthal Center Multimedia Learning Center

regarding Martin Luther (since you mention "it can't be protestants!"), in 1543 Luther wrote a 65,000 word treatise which was 400 years later considered by the editor of Nazi publication to be "the most radically antisemitic tract ever published." Luther's book was displayed prominently at Nazi rallies.

"When Luther failed to convert the Jews, he denounced them and urged their persecution. In his treatise he urges that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness, afforded no legal protection, and "these poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time. He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them".

"He describes Jews as a "base, whoring people, no people of God, their lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth." Luther writes the Jews are "full of the devil's feces ... which they wallow in like swine," and the synagogue is an "incorrigible w h o r e and an evil s l u t".


this is an example of religious leaders and religious books and religious ideologies inciting hate and inciting violence.
so yes. please do get to know your history.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2018 at 11:23 PM..
 
Old 10-28-2018, 11:20 PM
 
12,650 posts, read 13,264,666 times
Reputation: 8993
on the topic of persecution of the religious, and for those who deny, doubt, question, disbelieve it goes on here and now right here on CD, as an example just a few weeks ago here on CD someone posted that being a rotten person and then crying persecuted is a common ploy. That is an example of blaming, minimizing, denying, rationalizing justifying and dismissing hatred. other readers agreed with that post and gave it positive response.

2018 right here, right now on CD
 
Old 10-29-2018, 04:57 AM
 
2,391 posts, read 1,333,368 times
Reputation: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Jewish people have a strong work, education and family ethic.
This will put anybody at odds with most of the world.
 
Old 10-29-2018, 05:17 AM
 
9,144 posts, read 12,093,544 times
Reputation: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I never in all my years, being surrounded by Christians, ever knew or met any Christian who ever said a single negative thing about the Jewish people.
All I've ever heard is that they were all condemned to Hell because they rejected Jesus as the messiah. I consider that very negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top