Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:49 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Pittsburgh synagogue gunman told SWAT he wanted all Jews to die, criminal complaint says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/pi...ing/index.html

Is hated for the Jews based entirely on the belief that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus? Or is there more to it than that?
No, although that still plays a very large role. For example, Hitler used Martin Luther's hatred of the Jews, which was based on the fictional gospel accounts.

But we also have the early Christians who were still basically a Jewish sect separating themselves from the other Jews who caused the three Roman Jewish wars. This was before the gospels played a role in separating Judaism and the then evolving church.

Then there was the economic distinctions where Jews provided services Christians were not allowed to do.

We also have the convenient scapegoat, where there is no longer another reason than 'us and them'.

The idea that Jews have always been hated is an insider view, as hatred of outsiders has always been a problem throughout the ages.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:53 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The Jewish people have a strong work, education and family ethic.
This will put anybody at odds with most of the world.
So true.

And without the Jews, and other cultures or peoples that have that work ethic, i.e. the Chinese in Malaysia and Indonesia (also hated) who will organize and accomplish productive activity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Then there was the economic distinctions where Jews provided services Christians were not allowed to do.
Deregulation at work.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
All I've ever heard is that they were all condemned to Hell because they rejected Jesus as the messiah. I consider that very negative.
Well, true enough. But that wasn’t specific to Jews. Hell-believers are nothing if not equal opportunity when it comes to the wrath of God. All of us who aren’t Christians are doomed. I think there might be a special level reserved for us former Christians however.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
The reason is simple. The keep to themselves, and they are very successful. In some banking communities, which Jewish men's group you belong to seals your fate as a successful businessman. (Sorry, can't site that, it was from a nonfiction book I read about a year ago, I think it might be The Bridge Ladies). There is jealousy and anger.

Tom Lehrer, musical comedian, in his song "National Brotherhood Week", in the 60's sang

Oh the protestants hate the catholics
And the catholics hate the protestants
And the hindus hate the muslims
And everybody hates the jews

Moderator cut: Offensive video removed

And then recently, horribly, Sasha Baron Cohen was able to get a bar full of people to enthusiastically sing "Throw the Jew Down the Well"

Moderator cut: Offensive video removed

Sad. Antisemitism is the stuff of humor. (To their credit, many in the bar look uncomfortable with the song and aren't duped into cheering this parody on).

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-29-2018 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Demonstrating anti-Semitism with videos of anti-Semitic songs adds nothing to the discussion and is offensive.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Its a spiritual thing.
Similar to how the serpent loves to murder innocent people

Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
As others said, there is a natural tendency for distrusting or hating groups who are different, and the bible could be used as an excuse.

When I was a kid, a friend told me she learned in Sunday school that the Jews killed Jesus. I don't know how many churches teach that. But it is there in the bible.

Maybe the bible is worded that way because the Roman Catholic Church wanted to put more of the blame on the Jews and less on the Romans.
Your grandfather murdered my grandfather, so you also murdered my grandfather...

Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Of the various Jews that I have been acquainted with during the course of my life, I would not have suspected that they were in any way "different" from anyone else if they had not at some point told me that they were Jewish. In fact, most of the Jews that I have encountered are as atheist as I am. Jews are not a separate genetic race unto themselves, just as Christians are not a separate genetic race unto themselves. If a person has no religious beliefs, including Jewish religious beliefs, what exactly makes them Jewish? After all, I stopped being a Christian when I stopped believing in Christianity.

The violence and hatred directed at Jewish people seems to be based on differences in religious convictions, just as the violence by Islamic extremists against the west is based on differences in religious convictions. And yet there is no general outrage being directed at the root cause of the violence and hatred, which is religion itself!

Old 10-29-2018, 09:44 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I'll only say that until recently, I had always been neutral in thought about the Jewish people (nothing negative, nothing critical). But in communications on this very site with a few Jews, I encountered some knee-jerk assumptions and jumping to conclusions tinged with hostility on their part that were completely uncalled for. I was really disappointed and taken back by that (and I'm by no means an easily-offended person). Needless to say, I got a taste that was not pleasant, and for which I now think less of them. I understand the difficulties with the Holocaust, and discrimination, but it doesn't help when someone with no agenda or malice gets mowed down and verbally attacked by them. Maybe they bear some of the responsibility for their dislike, or worse.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-29-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh synagogue gunman told SWAT he wanted all Jews to die, criminal complaint says
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/pi...ing/index.html

Is hated for the Jews based entirely on the belief that the Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus? Or is there more to it than that?
As sad as the news is, which other religious faith does not get hatred towards it's followers?

Old 10-29-2018, 10:10 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:

The violence and hatred directed at Jewish people seems to be based on differences in religious convictions, just as the violence by Islamic extremists against the west is based on differences in religious convictions. And yet there is no general outrage being directed at the root cause of the violence and hatred, which is religion itself!
It is not logical to blame it on religion. You just hate religion and like to blame it for all violence. Why do some people hate blacks? Not because of religion. Or any other ethnic or racial group.

Why do Democrats hate Republicans?

People hate because they like to hate, because they need scapegoats. Whoever is different in some way can be a target for hate.

In your case, religion is the scapegoat, the thing you love to hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality