Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 05:43 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hatred is a human psychological weakness usually related to some very negative experience(s) or belief(s) about the object of the hatred. It would be normal to hate Hitler for the atrocities he committed but it is still a weakness in our psychology. Unfortunately, hate can be inculcated in very young people by their parents or other influential role models. This is the worst kind because it perpetuates hate without any underlying reason. While hatred can be explained, it is never acceptable. It should be addressed and a resolution sought through counseling or therapy.
Why is it a weakness to hate Hitler? Hate is just the opposite of love. How can you love some things, and people, if you don't hate others? How can you have a sense of what is good or bad if you don't experience hate as well as love?

Remember "hate" is just a word, and words have no meaning in isolation.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:43 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There is some wording in the bible that creates confusion about who wanted Jesus to be executed. All of Jesus's followers and disciples, while he was alive, were Jewish. And of course he was also. But some Jews, the Pharisees, hated him because he hated them. (I am going by memory, not sure if all this is 100% accurate, just an approximation).

So when Pilate asked the Jews if they wanted Jesus killed, and they said yes, we don't know which Jews he was asking.

I think that might be one reason we Jews have been so hated. However, I have not felt hated since the 1960s. I think most Americans got over anti-semitism because of the Nazis and WW2. There is still some hatred, but probably not that much. Also, we have mostly assimilated and are part of the culture. Even my grandparents tried to be somewhat American, and my parents definitely did. They gave up all Jewish traditions and beliefs.
Thank you for that explanation. Probably I didn't pay good enough attention in church! Although I don't think they ever said anything about that. So some Jews told him to kill Jesus. I guess I can see how that could be blown out of proportion by some who had an axe to grind. I still wonder why they would see it that way though, why have an axe to grind in the first place?

I have always wondered why my Jewish friend's mother made her stop being friends with me and it bothered me so much that I actually asked a rabbi. He said that probably her mother had a very bad experience--maybe like escaping from the Nazis or having family members killed by them. It must have been an extremely horrific experience for her to harbor such hatred and to even turn her own kids against people. I just wish it could all stop. Forever.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for that explanation. Probably I didn't pay good enough attention in church! Although I don't think they ever said anything about that. So some Jews told him to kill Jesus. I guess I can see how that could be blown out of proportion by some who had an axe to grind. I still wonder why they would see it that way though, why have an axe to grind in the first place?

I have always wondered why my Jewish friend's mother made her stop being friends with me and it bothered me so much that I actually asked a rabbi. He said that probably her mother had a very bad experience--maybe like escaping from the Nazis or having family members killed by them. It must have been an extremely horrific experience for her to harbor such hatred and to even turn her own kids against people. I just wish it could all stop. Forever.
As others said, there is a natural tendency for distrusting or hating groups who are different, and the bible could be used as an excuse.

When I was a kid, a friend told me she learned in Sunday school that the Jews killed Jesus. I don't know how many churches teach that. But it is there in the bible.

Maybe the bible is worded that way because the Roman Catholic Church wanted to put more of the blame on the Jews and less on the Romans.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:54 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Well, according to a rabbi in Israel, Jews did not kill Jesus. Pharisees did. According to same rabbi, they were abomination sect amongst the people of Israel. In his terms, a disgrace, psychotic sect. It's an opinion. How they then got that far up in hierarchy, is a different question.
HF and others are correct. Jews, or what they have been called before, were never liked.

I'll quote another religious pastor. Protoierei Grachev. According to him, reason was simple. People that live very tight. Don't really let anyone into their circles. Don't let others to marry with their sons and daughters. Believing into some strange god. Adamantly refusing to accept any other deity. Very strictly following some odd - to surrounders - rituals and rule sof life.

Basically, being different and "not like us" and persisting in this. Normally, this gives pretty good grounds to the crowd to become suspicious of the bunch.

Another theory is, they "were hard working very successful people" what simply caused envy in gentile. I guess. I saw them go both ways. Dirt poor and kingly rich.
What brings to another point. there are Jews and there are Jews. So which ones is OP referring to?
But there is one undeniable fact. As far as history goes, they were never really liked. They never really made any place home and became welcomed by local people. This is simple basic fact.
Christians I know refer to Jews only as chosen people. They are better a priory, as so is said in the Bible.

Of course, Jesus being THE final authority for Christian, there is John 8. Starting at 42 I believe.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Hatred is a human psychological weakness usually related to some very negative experience(s) or belief(s) about the object of the hatred. It would be normal to hate Hitler for the atrocities he committed but it is still a weakness in our psychology. Unfortunately, hate can be inculcated in very young people by their parents or other influential role models. This is the worst kind because it perpetuates hate without any underlying reason. While hatred can be explained, it is never acceptable. It should be addressed and a resolution sought through counseling or therapy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
saying there are "reasons" for hate or hate is "deserved" are behaviors that justify hate, incite hate, justify violence and incite violence

making excuses for hate = excusing the hate
What in my post could conceivably be considered making excuses for hate???? You seem to read what you want to see in my posts instead of what is actually there.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:12 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
and in the world:

"Britain 2018 report marks a record number of anti-Semitic incidents in Britain since 1984. 2017 saw a 78% increase in incidents of physical violence against Jews in the UK and a 30% increase in all anti-Semitic incidents in the country.

"There was an increase in the number of anti-Semitic incidents in Germany, partly due to the rise of the extreme right, the refugee crisis in Germany, attempt to bolster national pride in the country's heritage and history by reducing the responsibility of the German people for the Holocaust. Many in Germany's Muslim communities exhibited blatant anti-Semitism, with demonstrations calling for the destruction of Israel.

"In France, Nearly 40 percent of violent acts classified as racially or religiously motivated were committed against Jews in 2017, though Jews make up less than 1 percent of France’s population. Anti-Semitic acts increased by 20% from 2016. In 16 surveys conducted over the last 12 years in Europe, researchers report “anti-Semitism is significantly higher among Muslims than among non-Muslims”

"Since 2000, there has been an “explosion” of anti-Semitic acts in France, rising 907% from 1999. In the 2008-9 period, anti-Semitic incidents rose 1000% (One thousand percent) in a single month. incidents include violent demonstrations, kosher groceries burned, Molotov cocktails thrown at a synagogue, robbery, assault, rape, beating, an 85year old woman survivor of the Holocaust burned and stabbed 11 times, another elderly woman beaten and thrown to her death out a window, murder of children in school.

"For comparison, between 2016 and 2017, reported attacks against French Muslims (who outnumber Jews 12 to 1) rose 7% (seven percent)

"Violent incidents against Jews in the Ukraine, show an increase of more than 50% ."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
saying there are "reasons" for hate or hate is "deserved" are behaviors that justify hate, incite hate, justify violence and incite violence

making excuses for hate = excusing the hate
Its possible to leverage violence without hate, in cases of personal or national self defense/interest. if someone is attacking me (whether directly or indirectly (economic warfare, etc) often times violence is the only solution). Sometimes people have to die so that the threat is gone and you can sleep at night.

I believe that we should be retaliating violently when economic warfare is committed.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
As others said, there is a natural tendency for distrusting or hating groups who are different, and the bible could be used as an excuse.

When I was a kid, a friend told me she learned in Sunday school that the Jews killed Jesus. I don't know how many churches teach that. But it is there in the bible.

Maybe the bible is worded that way because the Roman Catholic Church wanted to put more of the blame on the Jews and less on the Romans.
The Romans did not want to kill Jesus, they allowed it because they did not want to commit the resources to quell another insurrection so Pilot pandered to them.

However, all the cirucmstances that led to Jesus death was by design from God the father so that we had a way to Heaven. Because in the law we were all guilty and God wanted communion with us.

Someone/group had to be the antagonist in Jesus trip to the cross for God's will be be fulfilled.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The Romans did not want to kill Jesus, they allowed it because they did not want to commit the resources to quell another insurrection so Pilot pandered to them.

However, all the cirucmstances that led to Jesus death was by design from God the father so that we had a way to Heaven. Because in the law we were all guilty and God wanted communion with us.

Someone/group had to be the antagonist in Jesus trip to the cross for God's will be be fulfilled.
Ok, that's the Sunday school version. I guess it's still being repeated, unfortunately.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Its possible to leverage violence without hate, in cases of personal or national self defense/interest. if someone is attacking me (whether directly or indirectly (economic warfare, etc) often times violence is the only solution). Sometimes people have to die so that the threat is gone and you can sleep at night.

I believe that we should be retaliating violently when economic warfare is committed.
the topic is hatred for Jews.
this posts lists excuses for violence and reasons for justifying violence ("self defense, self interest, sleep at night, economy, retaliation, remove threat, some people have to die")

are you listing those reasons justifying violence because you are saying those are "reasons " for hatred of Jews?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-28-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.