Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:18 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Just curious! If this question offends you, it's okay not to answer. I realize this may be personal. But otherwise, feel free to chime in. I'm curious about why people do or don't celebrate Halloween.

For disclosure's sake, I should say I'm agnostic, loosely Buddhist (sometimes) and I do celebrate Halloween. I celebrate it very secularly but I put a heavy emphasis on the season of fall itself and all those images because I've always felt a special connection to this season. I am, however, very fascinated with the "death" imagery and I think it may be because it's something that's scary and taboo, and just once a year we get to sort of laugh at it. It's a tension-reliever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 10:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
I celebrate all holidays which are a part of my culture.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:29 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Just curious! If this question offends you, it's okay not to answer. I realize this may be personal. But otherwise, feel free to chime in. I'm curious about why people do or don't celebrate Halloween.

For disclosure's sake, I should say I'm agnostic, loosely Buddhist (sometimes) and I do celebrate Halloween. I celebrate it very secularly but I put a heavy emphasis on the season of fall itself and all those images because I've always felt a special connection to this season. I am, however, very fascinated with the "death" imagery and I think it may be because it's something that's scary and taboo, and just once a year we get to sort of laugh at it. It's a tension-reliever.
Just FYI--there is already a Halloween thread under the Christianity subforum, where you will get some of your answers.

As you can see by the title, this is an annual discussion, with the usual and predictable results. (It's evil/it's fun/Halloween is Christian in origin/Halloween is Pagan in origin...)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...arly-year.html

However, since you've put it in the general R&S forum, let's see if it goes in any different direction.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just FYI--there is already a Halloween thread under the Christianity subforum, where you will get some of your answers.

As you can see by the title, this is an annual discussion, with the usual and predictable results. (It's evil/it's fun/Halloween is Christian in origin/Halloween is Pagan in origin...)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...arly-year.html

However, since you've put it in the general R&S forum, let's see if it goes in any different direction.
I'm sorry, I'm just as happy to merge this or have it deleted if need be. I don't know why I didn't see that. I've been here for some time and I do know there are often very lively discussions about this and other holidays. But I missed this one.

I'll read the other thread as well, so thanks for the heads-up.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:35 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm sorry, I'm just as happy to merge this or have it deleted if need be. I don't know why I didn't see that. I've been here for some time and I do know there are often very lively discussions about this and other holidays. But I missed this one.

I'll read the other thread as well, so thanks for the heads-up.
No, JerZ, I thought about putting on my modly red font and merging the two, but since that one is specifically under Christianity, I think we should leave it open here.

Plus I personally love Halloween and this time of year, so I don't think another Halloween thread will hurt. You've already gotten a good response from Petunia up there.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
My beliefs fit under the expansive Pagan umbrella, so natch, I have no issues with celebrating Halloween. In fact, I have no issues celebrating pretty much anything.

But since moving to the edge of civilization a few years ago, I haven't had a single trick-or-treater and I miss seeing the little rugrats.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:50 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
I seriously can't stand Halloween, and it has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Our church even sponsors a Trunk or Treat. I participated in it as a child and wasn't even crazy about it back then. I have met a total of three other people in my life who feel like I do, so I know I'm in the minority. I definitely don't begrudge anybody the fun of celebrating it if that's what they want, but I'll leave my husband in the living room to get up and answer the door every two minutes while I curl up under the covers in my bed and watch TV.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:52 AM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Deist here.

And, yes, I celebrate and enjoy almost all holidays celebrated by most people in the U.S., but in a secular way (although I do enjoy Christmas carols). These holidays include Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. (I was raised Methodist, btw.)

Last edited by katharsis; 10-30-2018 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 10:54 AM

If I don't answer people on this thread please know I am kudo-ing and thanking each person individually. If I can't because I need to spread reputation around, I will note that.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:57 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Agnostic Atheist here.... (or just atheist for convenience)

I absolutely love Halloween! I like the spookiness, the spectacle, the families trick or treating, all of it! It’s probably my favorite holiday, as it has really no political overtones, and not much in the way of religion, at least anymore...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality