Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:49 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times

Advertisements

I thought that in Dia De Los Mortes, dead bodies are exhumed and brought to have dinner with the rest of the family before they are reburied until next year. I told my class this and one of my students said that doesn’t happen, so I tried pulling up the national geographic clip I saw at some point years ago that I remember, but I couldn’t find it. Am I mixing up my holidays and do I need to make a correction to the class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:07 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I thought that in Dia De Los Mortes, dead bodies are exhumed and brought to have dinner with the rest of the family before they are reburied until next year. I told my class this and one of my students said that doesn’t happen, so I tried pulling up the national geographic clip I saw at some point years ago that I remember, but I couldn’t find it. Am I mixing up my holidays and do I need to make a correction to the class?
Seriously? I have never heard of such a thing. I thought that on the Day of the Dead, people went to the cemeteries where their family members are buried and had picnics. I doubt very much that they actually dig up the bodies.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously? I have never heard of such a thing. I thought that on the Day of the Dead, people went to the cemeteries where their family members are buried and had picnics. I doubt very much that they actually dig up the bodies.
I couod have sworn I saw a documentary about some culture somewhere that digs up their dead. It may not be day of the dead, but I remember seeing some sort of holiday somewhere where the dead body was sitting at the dinner table.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I couod have sworn I saw a documentary about some culture somewhere that digs up their dead. It may not be day of the dead, but I remember seeing some sort of holiday somewhere where the dead body was sitting at the dinner table.
I think that was Weekend With Bernie.

Last edited by TroutDude; 11-03-2018 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: corrected title

Old 11-03-2018, 03:15 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Sounds more like some bizarre new diet.

Eat anything you want! You just have to eat it across the table from Grandpa's rotting corpse.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sounds more like some bizarre new diet.

Eat anything you want! You just have to eat it across the table from Grandpa's rotting corpse.
That might actually work.

Who knows, maybe I dreamed it?

I’ll need to tell the class I couldn’t find a holiday like what I described and that, no, families do not dig up their loved ones on Day of the Dead. They do, however, have picnics in the cemetary to celebrate the memory of their loved ones.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:56 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
I think the day of the dead is on par with all saints day, which is called Halloween, and the kids go out dressed as the dead, and take food from strangers on the understanding that if the strangers don't give up the food, they will be spooked and tricked. These disguised children, poised as the dead, go home and share their fare with their parents at their table.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:53 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Is there a holiday where dead bodies are brought to dinner?

Southend-on-Sea. Bloody horrible place!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannibalism

it happens, but they dont bring the dead to dinner, they are the dinner

Old 11-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannibalism

it happens, but they dont bring the dead to dinner, they are the dinner
That is disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality